What's the furthest you've driven your FGT?

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
How did you feel at the end?
If you stayed overnight somewhere did you do anything to disable your vehicle while you slept?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Far. Great. No.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Farther, Tired and lock the doors.

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
2^^^^

Hahahaha

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It's a pleasure to drive long distances in the GT. While I'm not Larson, Ralphie or Hilo Dave. I've driven to half the rallies and always get out of the car without pains, and I've got a very bad back.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
3,500 miles round trip to Rally 4 in Austin, Texas over 4 days, including the driving to Texas World Speedway and Texas Mile.

Longest single stage stint was the drive home, Austin to Los Angeles, 1,380 miles and 20 hours.

Easy driving. No issues. Lock it up and use the OEM alarm.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My wife and I have drive cross country from Vegas to Boston 2,700 miles.To Michigan and back and plan on driving to all future rallies no matter how near or far.
The GT is an awesome car to travel in.Firm seats with our seat covers make for very comfortable journeys.As in packing there are many little tricks you learn to get what you need for a weeks worth of clothes. 25 miles to gallon isn’t bad either!I try stay in nice hotels (Hyatts) and slip the valet a tip and self park out front.I always keep my keys!Never an issue.We have also stayed in many places where we just have to park and leave the car and have never had any issues.We did have a note left on the car asking us to please come by room number ### to inform him when we were going to start the cars so he could see and hear them! He stated it was his all time favorite car!We did do that ,he was thrilled! He even got to meet Mr GT (Mark McGowan)! Stopping for gas is like being a rock star! My wife and I truly enjoy traveling in our GT.Where ever you go people are thrilled to see the GT!
Driving and traveling in the GT is what ownership is all about!
PS It will still look great in the garage when your done!But your smile will be bigger!
There are many fellow owners who drive and travel in the GT who can add in!

Last edited:

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
My wife and I have drive cross country from Vegas to Boston 2,700 miles.To Michigan and back and plan on driving to all future rallies no matter how near or far.
The GT is an awesome car to travel in.Firm seats with our seat covers make for very comfortable journeys.As in packing there are many little tricks you learn to get what you need for a weeks worth of clothes. 25 miles to gallon isn’t bad either!I try stay in nice hotels (Hyatts) and slip the valet a tip and self park out front.I always keep my keys!Never an issue.We have also stayed in many places where we just have to park and leave the car and have never had any issues.We did have a note left on the car asking us to please come by room number ### to inform him when we were going to start the cars so he could see and hear them! He stated it was his all time favorite car!We did do that ,he was thrilled! He even got to meet Mr GT (Mark McGowan)! Stopping for gas is like being a rock star! My wife and I truly enjoy traveling in our GT.Where ever you go people are thrilled to see the GT!
Driving and traveling in the GT is what ownership is all about!
PS It will still look great in the garage when your done!But your smile will be bigger!
There are many fellow owners who drive and travel in the GT who can add in!

I bet you never got those reactions driving the P car. With my P car I do get attention on occasion, but I think it's the colour.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
For Rally 8 we did Houston- LA- Carmel -Sonoma-Tahoe-Salt Lake City- Santa Fe-Dallas -Houston over two weeks. Can't remember the exact mileage but it was over 5K. Very comfortable car on long trips, we found 700 miles a day no problem, gets great mileage too. Stayed in all kinds of places, usually just left the car sitting outside, never any problems. Similar story this year when we drove to/ from Detroit.
Get out there and drive the crap out of it, that's what its for!!

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
My only issue for long drives with my wife is clothing. We refuse to do a GTJoey and wear multiple layers of clothing!:lol

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Austin, TX. to Flagstaff, AZ. Straight through (approx. 1175 mi). Stopped for gas. Was still able to walk. Not even cranky, maybe.

Last edited:

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
One day ....1000 miles... DFW to Scottsdale. Round trip about 2700 miles to rallies in SLC, LV, and Dearborn.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
75 miles

Girlfriend's Malbu beach house.

No sleep ;)

No locking.

Cars next doors were: Miura, 300 SL, F 250 GT SWB Spider, tops down.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
Austin, TX. to Flagstaff, AZ. Straight through. Stopped for gas. Was still able to walk. Not even cranky, maybe.

Would you have appreciated cruise control?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't use it in any vehicle so no loss here. The pedal angle is great at anything over 80mph.

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
I love it in my Audi going from LA to ID and getting 54mpg, and much more comfortable for days of driving. My MC40 didn't come with CC but since I don't drive it great distances since the move, I don't miss it. The same goes for the P car, they didn't have it in the '70s. I just shipped that one.
I don't believe I will be driving the FGT days on end, except maybe one car show on my bucket list in the PNW, the rest will be local shows and outings.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I drove to both Detroit rallies. I almost shipped it this year, glad I didn't!! I find car is really comfortable for long trips and seats are fantastic! Wife even found it comfortable. I shipped her clothing via UPS and everyone was happy!!

atspeed

LAST BLU
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Berkeley, CA
Bay Area SF to Lancaster, CA for one of Richard Hille's FGT school days through minimal freeways and lots of fast back roads. Overnight in Lancaster then the school day. End of day to Long Beach for the night. Next day drove a bit north to a friend's workshop to clean the car of all of the clag, etc. thrown up from the other cars in the lead-follow session at the school, then back to the Bay Area on 101. Three days of driving, pretty intense for two and a relaxed trip home for the third. No issues whatsoever. I could not believe how comfortable and relaxed I was when I got home. That trip is what utterly convinced me that the FGT was a car with few peers.

Michael

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Longest Road Trip

Seattle-Miami-Seattle a little over 10,000 miles.

Most in 1 day - El Paso, Tx to Jackson, Miss - 1,038 miles.

Miles to date 10/15/15 :

Attachments

• 20151017_102013-1.jpg
    20151017_102013-1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 251

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
unbelievable :)