Whats Latest Battery Advice?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I used Deka AGM part number 9A35/85 over 6 years ago and is still going strong. You don't have to buy an Optima or other high priced battery. The Deka battery is easier and safer to install than the Optima because the Deka battery posts are not located under the car framework which has the potential for shorting the battery during installation. The Deka is just as good a battery as an Optima.

Be careful not to lean on the fender while removing and installing the battery. Guaranteed you will put a dent in your aluminum fender.
1610761644546.png

Last edited:
Reactions: analogdesigner

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
For anyone concerned about changing out their battery I used the Deka recommended by TO AWSUM and there were no issues.
Easy to buy from many sources including Amazon. No core charge with Amazon.
That’s what this Forum is all about and what makes it great.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
So we know the Deka works (but is heavy).

Any one try Antigravity and can report back on fitment?

This seems to be the closest match

My latest Optima is 2 years old and already showing it is getting weak.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
So we know the Deka works (but is heavy).

Any one try Antigravity and can report back on fitment?

This seems to be the closest match

My latest Optima is 2 years old and already showing it is getting weak.
I have had my optima since 2017…going strong; the key to longer life with these batteries is to keep them on a battery tender when not driving.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have had my optima since 2017…going strong; the key to longer life with these batteries is to keep them on a battery tender when not driving.

I have been on a smart charger continuously. That is why I am stumped.

Reading reviews, see a lot of reports that these are dying prematurely nowadays.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Another thread revival. Just trying to keep the 05-06 forum alive, I guess.

Went to take out one of my other cars yesterday and it was dead as a doornail. Battery was 3 years old and always on a CTEK. Spent the better part of the day sourcing a new battery and installing it (which was no small feat in this particular vehicle).
Thought it would be a good idea to check when my last battery change was on the Ford. Turns out it was 6 years ago. Sheesh. No apparent issues, no electrical glitches, always starts up. But I don't want to get stranded again. What are thoughts on preemptively replacing the battery? I'm not jazzing to spend $250 on a new Optima for no reason and break my back R&R'ing a new battery, but I also don't want to wake up to a dead car again.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Come on cheapskate, batteries aren't that expensive and you can do it yourself. Better a battery now than gauges later.

Reactions: twobjshelbys

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Come on cheapskate, batteries aren't that expensive and you can do it yourself. Better a battery now than gauges later.
Leave it to Dr. Frank to tell it like it is. Keeping old(er) cars running is expensive. I've got a few and most of them need something. Just trying to spread the monetary pain out. But more importantly, bending over the frunk with a heavy battery while it's 100 degrees in the shade is just not my idea of fun.
Have an oil change coming up. I'll tackle it then.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Leave it to Dr. Frank to tell it like it is. Keeping old(er) cars running is expensive. I've got a few and most of them need something. Just trying to spread the monetary pain out. But more importantly, bending over the frunk with a heavy battery while it's 100 degrees in the shade is just not my idea of fun.
This is what i felt. It was too damn hot even in Midwest today. And the battery is way too damn low.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
You could run a battery test on it ... and if it tests good but you still wanna change it, wait 6 months til it's (hopefully) cooler.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Go over to Tomy's air conditioned man cave. Or call Soroush. He's been MIA for quite some time. Don't let him give you any baby stories. Or maybe piano playing worries.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
You could run a battery test on it ... and if it tests good but you still wanna change it, wait 6 months til it's (hopefully) cooler.
I'll just change it. About 5 more months before the outside temp is habitable. I'll probably get to it before then, though.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Go over to Tomy's air conditioned man cave. Or call Soroush. He's been MIA for quite some time. Don't let him give you any baby stories. Or maybe piano playing worries.
Tomy is waaay out there. I haven't seen in a while. I just saw Soroush a few weeks ago. Brought his wife and babies to my house for a birthday shindig.
I actually have a minisplit in the garage. Just doesn't work very well. Still a good 90 degrees in there but it does cut down on the humidity a bit.