What would you have bought.....

Waxy

Feb 11, 2010
Calgary, AB, Canada
Steve,

There are three Mosquitos being restored to flying status around the world. The only one that is currently airworthy belongs to Kermit Weeks and he has it on loan to the EAA Museum in Oshkosh, WI. He had another in his Fantasy of Flight Museum in Florida that was destroyed when a hurricane ripped the Museum apart in 1996. Here's his on display in Oshkosh.

Chip

Just FYI -

The city of Calgary, AB, Canada has a Mosquito in it's possession that requires a restoration, and they are unable, and unwilling, at this time to spend the money to do it properly.

The latest article in the paper stated that the city will look at selling the plane in the near future.

Waxy

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
If I had the time - I'd build an Ultima CanAm
If I had the money - I'd buy a Porsche Carrera GT
If I had neither, but wanted a immensely enjoyable driver - I'd buy a Porsche GT3 RS

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Before the GT was announced for production, I never thought of buying, nor would I buy, a car as expensive as the GT because I could not justify the price. If Ford never made the GT, I still would not own an "exotic".

My sentiments exactly. I've seen a lot of exotics, which I must say were beautiful, but was never passionate enough to spend that kind of money until the FGT came out. I was given a ride in an original GT40 in 1968 and have never been able to shake the thought of someday owning one. Well, the FGT is it, plus some, to me.

My next is probably a Toyota Tacoma 4x4. A small P/U is easier to get through the woods and mud.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I was in the process of building up a '55 Chevy Nomad Surfwagon and adding a '32 Hi-Boy after selling the Lotus Esprit Turbo.

Everything changed at SEMA when I walked through the middle of the cut-away FGT. :thumbsup

Attachments

• '55 Chevy wBoards.jpg
    '55 Chevy wBoards.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

furlong

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 14, 2007
pennsylvania
Vintage Race Car

I would have bought a Vintage Race car, something from the old Can Am series. I love that old look of the beginning of aerodynamics with an american V8 barking through straight pipes. Probably couldn't afford the big names, but you can get a pretty good car for the price of a GT. Then you get to run it hard without watching for the cops.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Had a 2001 e39 M5, but felt it was a bit heavy on the courses, although a fun car.

Started looking at the GT3's, and then the Cayman S, deciding a mid engine car was the way to go. But sort of felt that the corporate powers had slightly handicapped the Cayman to keep their 911 as a clear front runner.

Once I decided I could justify a 2 seater, I started researching the Ford GT intensely, studying pricing and closed transactions and eventually found the exact one I wanted. Black no stripe, red calipers, BBS Forged, no McIntosh, 3.6 miles on the odo, all the stickers and wrappers. I figured I had maybe an hour to decide, and decided within 10 minutes. I felt that if I didn't pull the trigger on the purchase, I would likely regret it the rest of my life.

My best friend said, I know you are never going to sell your M5, so tell you what. Sell it to me, then you'll have some of the money to go get your GT. So, I did just that. Also sold my last motorcycle, a limited production #3 of 300, R1100S. The GT was my exit strategy from motorcycles. It would have to be something incredible to say goodbye to 22 years of riding and 11 motorcycles.

I had bought that M5 used, and it was the most I had ever paid for a car. (About $38K). I had modified to about 395 rwhp, and had H&R Coilovers, StopTech BBK, Race Cats, Tubi Exhaust, BBS LM's, Power Pulleys, Software, etc. I loved that car.

Previously, I'd owned a 1970 GTO, a 1996 Mustang Cobra, a 1997 Roush Stage II Mustang. Never owned a japanese car, only american and german.

The GT really is an amazing masterpiece, on a completely different level of anything I had ever experienced.

Ronin3copy.jpg

IMG_0084_1-1.jpg

Last edited:

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
Between the wife and myself we have a variety and multitude of cars. In 2006 I had just purchased a ZO6 when my FGT became available so I bought it too. Since then we have purchased 3 new porsches, it started with a 2008 cayenne turbo for the wife. After driving it for awhile I decided that if their SUV is this good their sports car had to be fantastic. I bought a 2008 911 Turbo. My wife decided she wanted a red convertible so for christmas she got a 2010 Boxter S. Oh, and in the meantime we picked up a 2009 CTS-V.
I didn't think I liked Porsches until I started driving them. We have another home 400 miles from where we live so we spend alot of time on the road (2-3 trips a month). My very favorite car for road trips is the 911 Turbo with the CTS-V a close second. Don't get me wrong, if I could keep only one it would be my FGT because of the value, looks, performance and exclusivity, but all of the above are fine cars and a joy to own and I really have no plans to replace any of them except probably Cayenne turbo because it is the wifes daily driver and will wear out some day. I have never been tempted by the Italians but once I tried the Germans I was hooked. I am an equal oppurtunity car nut, I also have a 32 ford 3 window (LT-1, 4L60E) a 58 chevy delray 2 door wagon (468 BB, 5 spd manual) and a fully restored 69 camaro ss 396, plus several Harleys and custom bikes. I have 2 3 car garages, a 30x50 shop with lifts etc. and just finished building a new 80x40 garage with man cave so I think I still have room for more and don't plan to quit acquiring anytime soon.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I also have a 32 ford 3 window (LT-1, 4L60E)

That is just wrong. No reason you can't put a Ford engine of equal stature in that car. :wink

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
I hate to admit it on this forum but the FGT is the only pure ford product I own. I've been a chevy fan my entire life, in fact when I was at the dealer buying the FGT my wife came over, nudged me and said you do realize it has a blue oval on the front right.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I hate to admit it on this forum but the FGT is the only pure ford product I own. I've been a chevy fan my entire life, in fact when I was at the dealer buying the FGT my wife came over, nudged me and said you do realize it has a blue oval on the front right.

As long as you don't swap the GT's 5.4L for a Chevy Motor, no worries. :wink

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
There are plenty of GM cars out there for you to put your LT1 inside. How would you feel if us die hard Ford guys started dropping modern day 351 Clevelands into classic Corvettes? :bored

:cheers

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
I was at Super Chevy last weekend in Las Vegas and believe it or not there are chevys with ford power. I also won outstanding modified conversion for my chevy powered ford.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I was at Super Chevy last weekend in Las Vegas and believe it or not there are chevys with ford power. I also won outstanding modified conversion for my chevy powered ford.

Really? I have seen a few pure race cars done that way but not hot rods. I would venture they suffered some grief at the hand of their Chev brothers.

Either way, I am teasing.....kinda :biggrin

I have made a hobby out of converting my BBC powered boats into BBF powered boats. I get a lot of ribbing......that is until I motor on by. :thumbsup

Attachments

• engines running.jpg
    engines running.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 101_0060.jpg
    101_0060.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 125

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
before the FGT......hmmmm

Ferrari - Lambo - ya when I have gave up ...

The FGT was a return to when I use to own Hot Wheels and played with slot cars....

In the garage right now there is a 69 Mach1 restored and stroked plus 3 other projects.

What does the FGT give me - peace of mid as I have lowered, Whippled it, molded it to what I have today... I love her! There are other FGT owners that started the conversion within a mile of mile house so when the wife gets crabby - It's beer time!

Thanks FoMoCo for doing this treasure!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks FoMoCo for doing this treasure!

+3,000 :usa

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
Really? I have seen a few pure race cars done that way but not hot rods. I would venture they suffered some grief at the hand of their Chev brothers.

Either way, I am teasing.....kinda :biggrin

I have made a hobby out of converting my BBC powered boats into BBF powered boats. I get a lot of ribbing......that is until I motor on by. :thumbsup

Bad ass boats. If I lived around water I think I could be a boat guy. I know BBF's make a ton of power, in fact lately I find myself hankering for a 428 Mustang.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Bad ass boats. If I lived around water I think I could be a boat guy. I know BBF's make a ton of power, in fact lately I find myself hankering for a 428 Mustang.

Thank you :wink

These are 604 inch SVO...um FRPP motors. I don't even use the best cylinder heads so I can get exhaust made and They make 874 hp at 6400 rpm with 8.9 to 1 compression and a single Dominator carb. No power adders.

Not too many BBCs able to pull that off. :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Great looking engine on your boat - must be hard to keep clean!

I have a Yamaha 150hp outboard on my boat which seems fast enough, yours must fly! :eek