What Were You Thinking?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Dr. Sims:

Package arrived, undetected by my narc dogs. VERY cool stuff. I am assuming that you have one (or twelve) on your own GT?

- doc

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Spirit and doc...

And they say I can't remember too well... Then again, I do remember the important things. The small block Cobra that I saw near Medford on I-5 was in 1967, and was white in color. I don't know what it is about those cars, but the person seemed to be enjoying his drive, much like you describe. (Luckily I got my hands on a Cobrs in 1984, and have retained that same smile.) And yes, your trip this year will be just a tad bit more comfortable...

doc, I'm guessing that you might have a "keeper". I guess time will tell. I'll have to let my daughter know about the polish side of life. Out of curiosity, what kind of pieces were missing off of your car? I'm still trying different avenues to get the Ford dealer where my car came from to get me the charger and the car cover/storage bag (I was successful in a second key and remote). I had to buy my car thru a second party (altho I'm the original owner), as Ford dealers couldn't deal with my four car trade. I suppose that makes them feel I am not owed with what came with the car.

John aka Cobraman

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
John:

A place in Cincinnati called Performance Research (long ago gone) was working on this guys 427 Cobra, setting it up for racing. The car was bought for him by his girlfriend. She got angry at him and dumped him. She offered me the car (had less than 100 miles on it) for $6500. There was no way in the world for me to raise that kind of money.

At that same speed shop, I found a buyer for my `66 Corvette. A fellow there was in bad financial trouble and was selling his `67 L88 coupe (it had a small crack in the rear fender well but only 72 miles on the clock). I got $3350 for my Corvette. He offered me his for $3500. Mom said "no."

As far as my GT? Well, it has been an "adventure." Feel free to P.M. me if you want details and resolution...which are as complex as the problems themselves.

- doc

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
All four of the original GT's Le Mans wins came before I was born (though just barely on the last one). The bulk of the muscle car market also happened before I was born, but I'm a fanatic regarding both subjects. I blame my older brothers, who were educating me as to the overwhelmingly cool muscle cars of 1966-1974 when the best thing Detroit offered was a 1981 Turbo Trans Am. In fact, a friend of my older brother's has a great story about blowing away one of those Trans Ams in a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T circa 1982...a car he bought for $450!!!

Anyway, by the time I hit high school I had a 1969 GTX and had watched American Grafitti waaaay too many times. I saw myself as a modern-era John Milner and paid homage to that character by spanking 5.0-liter Mustangs and 5.7-liter IROQ Zs for most of my high school and college years in Denver. The weekend nights I wasn't crusing West Colfax or Longmont's main street, looking for street action, I was at Bandimere Speedway bracket racing. All the other kids of my age group never did get used to seeing a " big old American boat" dust their brand new, sleek, shiny, fuel-injected cars, which only increased the size of my grin. :biggrin

So I spent most of my life preferring "old" cars to "new" cars, and when the Ford GT was shown at the Detroit show in January 2002 (I was there live, covering it for Edmunds.com) it was like my ultimate dream come true. "Possibly the coolest old American performance car, remade with modern technology" was essentially how I saw it. I called my Ford contacts within 24 hours of the GT being announced for production (March '02 I believe) and then chased it for three-and-a-half years before picking up my customer-ordered model in August '05 (blue/white, full stripes, upgraded wheels and NO McIntosh). And in case it's not clear yet -- yes, this is a keeper. I can't imagine what car could be produced that I'd want more, though if Chrysler could execute on a modern Winged Warrior (Charger Daytona/Superbird) with the same proficiency that Ford did with the GT that would possibly be in the ballpark...but still not as cool as the GT.

As for future value, I know that 4,000 is a relatively high production number (especially in just two years), but I think this car will be like the Buick GNX. In 10 years there will be far more people who still want one than were originally produced. And many of the original owners (as confirmed in this thread) still won't be interested in selling. That imbalance between supply and demand should ensure at least stable value, and very possibly increasing value.

Of course I could be wrong and the car's value might tank down to nothing. Good thing I don't care either way. :banana

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
sticker on Ed's GT

Doc - I have a Nor Cal SAAC sticker & the 40th Anniversary sticker on my windshield driver's side bottom corner. I seem to place & remove stickers frequently though.

Petunia - I didn't know if you would notice the T-Bird postage stamp. At one time I had one of the trickest Fox chassis T-Birds around.

Atomic GT - Thanks again for the DVDs. You are 2 kind!

Ed

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
When I was a fledgling pre-teen on southern California (late 60's) I became interested in most kinds of motor sports through my dad (cars, boats, motorcycles). My dad worked in the printing business and a client was Road and Track, so I read about Le Mans one day and the mighty Ford GT40's. The sight of that car totally captivated me and from then on I became a true blue Ford racing fan. That passed into following the Trans Am series and the purchase of a 70 BOSS 302 as my first driver in high school, about November 1972.

So the Ford GT40 was a dream car of mine the past 40 years and when the price tags went +/- $1 million, the dream faded. :thumbsdow Enter Ford in 2003 and their talk of resurrecting the GT40, now the dream became a possibility once again. :thumbsup Fortunately, I now own a Ford GT as celebration of the dream and my 50th birthday. :banana

Needless to say this is not an investment for me but sheer driving pleasure and will continue througout my life and I hope my children's lives.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
KJRGT,

Eloquently out.

Fifty years old is "young" these days so I expect you to be driving your GT for a Looong time.

I plan to keep mine forever.

Eric

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
ENZO BTR said:
So I spent most of my life preferring "old" cars to "new" cars, and when the Ford GT was shown at the Detroit show in January 2002 (I was there live, covering it for Edmunds.com) it was like my ultimate dream come true. "Possibly the coolest old American performance car, remade with modern technology" was essentially how I saw it. I called my Ford contacts within 24 hours of the GT being announced for production (March '02 I believe) and then chased it for three-and-a-half years before picking up my customer-ordered model in August '05 (blue/white, full stripes, upgraded wheels and NO McIntosh). And in case it's not clear yet -- yes, this is a keeper. I can't imagine what car could be produced that I'd want more, though if Chrysler could execute on a modern Winged Warrior (Charger Daytona/Superbird) with the same proficiency that Ford did with the GT that would possibly be in the ballpark...but still not as cool as the GT. :banana

Is this the same car that is being written up in the Inside Line Long term test review?
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=107422

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I really don't care for the looks of the GT. I just miss having a RWD bad boy that feels solid enough to take a beating. I feel like I'm going to break something when I hammer on my Gallardo! Soooo I'm gonna try the GT, and hope that the looks grow on me.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
In summary, when I read the posts of GT owners, their motivations and interests, it appears that the car was a long time desire/admiration of the historical significance of the GT40, fueled further by impressive uniqueness, performance and rarity of the GT itself.

The factors that drove you to the GT will not change. There will be/are faster cars. There will be/are more unusual looking cars.

But, I cannot see how/when/why/what any American manufacturer could in the future to produce an icon that harkens back the muscle car area in a two seater.

To paraphrase a biker credo: "for those who understnad, no explanation is necessary....and for those who do not, no explanation is possible."

- doc

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
eshrink said:
To paraphrase a biker credo: "for those who understnad, no explanation is necessary....and for those who do not, no explanation is possible."

- doc

Very well said...I will remember this.