What is your job?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Blue. August 23. Blondes. Ample. Yes. 10 inches.

:thumbsup

chutzpah

Dec 21, 2006
Great thanks-willpower is like a muscle, right? I read the Millionaire Next Door- you should all listen to Brian Tracy- it's an order. Just download BitComet and go to www.torrentspy.com and search Brian Tracy- download his stuff.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks for your Candor Chutzpa! If Florida Chris didn't post, I planned to refer you to his theme slogan, "Annoy a liberal - work hard, get rich." I agree with Chris completely, we both know one another and have a lot in common. I decided at age 17 that I would not work for a paycheck. I started my own company (an ad agency) while still a Junior in college at age 20. I made more money than my professors, and even lectured in the very classes where I was student. I saved as much as I could with my earnings and the new wife's paycheck to buy my first house at age 22. I turned the house around at the right time and quadrupled my money. From there I earned and lost fortunes (lost $6 million when I decided that buying radio stations would be a good idea!). Don't be afraid to risk, you win some, you lose some. In the end if you learn from your mistakes you win more than you lose and come out ahead. I just sold one of my companies, and currently provide consulting to Fortune 500 companies in the areas of pricing, market development, market research and what I call "performance metrics" for marketing through another firm I own. I am also starting a new enterprise, a Hedge Fund that will do private equity deals, venture capital and managed investments. My advise, never stop learning, try new things, work hard, but play hard too. Balance is crucial!! I have three boys, all adults now, the youngest is 18 and in college. All my boys are well rounded, solid, and can hold their own. I think this is true because I was always there for them. I always made time for family first. I find this to be the most successful accomplishment of my life. None of the money, cars, companies, etc. that I have possessed could ever replace family and what is TRULY IMPORTANT. Listen to your teachers. (The Jesuits usually get it right!) Stick around the GT Forum, I know that you'll be entertained and you may meet some new friends. I think you will also find the guys to be mostly well-rounded, solid guys. As GT Joey says, "Keep Smilin' Baby!":biggrin

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks Chutzpah

Thanks for your Candor Chutzpa! If Florida Chris didn't post, I planned to refer you to his theme slogan, "Annoy a liberal - work hard, get rich." I agree with Chris completely, we both know one another and have a lot in common. I decided at age 17 that I would not work for a paycheck. I started my own company (an ad agency) while still a Junior in college at age 20. I made more money than my professors, and even lectured in the very classes where I was student. I saved as much as I could with my earnings and the new wife's paycheck to buy my first house at age 22. I turned the house around at the right time and quadrupled my money. From there I earned and lost fortunes (lost $6 million when I decided that buying radio stations would be a good idea!). Don't be afraid to risk, you win some, you lose some. In the end if you learn from your mistakes you win more than you lose and come out ahead. I just sold one of my companies, and currently provide consulting to Fortune 500 companies in the areas of pricing, market development, market research and what I call "performance metrics" for marketing through another firm I own. I am also starting a new enterprise, a Hedge Fund that will do private equity deals, venture capital and managed investments. My advise, never stop learning, try new things, work hard, but play hard too. Balance is crucial!! I have three boys, all adults now, the youngest is 18 and in college. All my boys are well rounded, solid, and can hold their own. I think this is true because I was always there for them. I always made time for family first. I find this to be the most successful accomplishment of my life. None of the money, cars, companies, etc. that I have possessed could ever replace family and what is TRULY IMPORTANT. Listen to your teachers. (The Jesuits usually get it right!) Stick around the GT Forum, I know that you'll be entertained and you may meet some new friends. I think you will also find the guys to be mostly well-rounded, solid guys. As GT Joey says, "Keep Smilin' Baby!":biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Can't you find anyplace better than SLUH? Country Day is where the money's at. Make sure you leave town to go to college and I don't mean just Columbia or Rolla.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I'm a little late on this one, but I'm a chicken sexer. It doesn't pay much, but I make it up on volume.

I also started with nothing, but an education and a decent work ethic. No matter how much you make keep a regular work schedule or it could all get away from you.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I realize all of you lead quite busy lives with a high demand on your time. . :biggrin

Not really, ever sense turning 50 the man-ho bitness has gotten a little soft.

chutzpah

Dec 21, 2006
I like that advice about the regular routine. Do any of you gigalos have an appropriate/debauchery free internet startup company? How many chickens does one have to sex to afford the Ford GT?

futuregtowner

Sep 16, 2006
SE Arizona
Chutzpah,

Very interesting statements. You sound years older than 17. And your thoughts reflect my own thinking at your age. I spent several miserable years in the god-forsaken city of St. Louis, (Clayton actually) in the State of Misery, (1966 - 1969). Coming from the warm sunshine of Arizona to have to attend a co-educational boarding school, at age 14, was a very hard thing for me to do.

With that being said, and having completed high school and much later, a four year college degree, I always, always thought that school was a huge waste of time because I just wanted to go out, earn money, to buy all the GOODIES money could buy me, party and have fun, which is perfectly understandable when you’re young. And that is what most young guys want to do. Getting out in the real world, having to earn a living, having to provide for not only yourself and maybe possibly a family, is a whole other thing.

More than 25 years ago, I had the opportunity to teach people “professional sales training”. But more than anything it taught ME, that the hardest thing in life is figuring out EXACTLY what you want to do with YOUR OWN life. Sure there are those that know from an early age that going into Medicine or Law or Engineering or whatever was what they wanted to do with their life. I always admired that. I just knew that I wanted to be my own boss, from the very beginning! (No one tells me what to do, except my wife, of course!)

But don’t count college out! It is/was some of the best years of your/my life! And college gives you such a huge range of things and professions to look into further. But, I will say it again. With your whole life ahead of you, figure out what YOU want to do, and then go do it. WHATEVER IT IS. And you may end up doing a lot of things, as I have, that will bring you great joy. But don’t chase money. DO the things you love, REALLY love to do, and the money will follow. It is so TRUE.

Lastly, you said: “I'm curious to know what kind of businesses you are in and what makes you all tick to realize your dreams and ideas. How much of a role does fear/your environment play in your success? How do you keep out of your comfort zone and maintain the daily motivation to do the things you don't want to do? How do you maintain focus and prioritize your distractions/habits and instincts?

The answers are all basically the same: When you are doing things to earn a living that are fun, those things that you like to do, the things that make you jump out of bed in the morning to go do them............it isn’t work.

Last edited:

chutzpah

Dec 21, 2006
Futuregtowner: What a coincidence! I live in University City, a block away from where you lived. I moved to saint louis from southern california when I was 14 too!

Guys, I really appreciate the warm welcome and the number of responses to this thread, you're all salt of the earth people (unlike most corvette owners) :lol
I think what I need is to just push myself to do the work and stay committed and consistent with my obligations to bring my ideas to fruition and stay on top of reality. A mentor that can steer me in the right direction and show me the ropes couldn't hurt either. What's it like at the top guys? Was the fruit of your labor worth the work you put into achieving it? I mean...essentially I either work at living or work at dying. In essence, if you were 17 again, what would you do? :biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
In essence, if you were 17 again, what would you do? :biggrin

A 17 year old girl!!!:banana :banana :banana

Chip

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'd move out of Missouri into Illinois, but never Texas.

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006

Chip

What about these teachers that are doing 17 year olds? I'd like a shot at one personally :biggrin

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX

Never Texas!? Why would that be???

Cowboy nightmares?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Never Texas!? Why would that be???

Cowboy nightmares?

Me thinks he's taking a shot at Spirit. :lol :lol

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
:rofl

Chip

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
I always get asked that.

The best is, when they say well what do you do? I always say about what.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Bad Advice

Chip,
You are giving our new friend bad advice. All of the 17 year old girls in St Louis are married or moved out. Frank has to go to Ill on a regular basis to find them.

Since I was born and raised in St Louis I feel confident in this advice
"Get Out while you still can"!!!!!!!!!!!:willy

St Louis is a great place to be from.

Don:thumbsup

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The Ride

.............In essence, if you were 17 again, what would you do? :biggrin

Me thinks he's taking a shot at Spirit. :lol :lol

chutzpah,

No one can give you the answers; that is something each individual really has to find for themselves.

As for me, I WOULD DO IT ALL ONCE AGAIN; just as I did when I was 17.

Graduated from High School at age 17
Started college
Dropped out of college
Headed west [all alone by the way] which was really east [being the Orient is in the Far East] where I learned what it is like to truly be treated as a “minority”
While in Hong Kong [I just couldn’t seem to get out of that place] met some Merchant Marines and spent more than a year circling the globe [the “adventures” were just way too numerous to detail]
Arrived back in San Francisco
Went back to school
Rode Harley Davidson Motorcycles [you must remember that in those days Harley riders were not exactly a socially acceptable group of “citizenry”]
Experimented with “alternative” lifestyles, during which I had the opportunity to meet and associate with some VERY interesting, unusual, and even “famous” [or was that “infamous”] people
Purchased a 289 Cobra [yes, the “Real Deal”]
Finally graduated from college
Traveled for months across the US & Canada on one of my Harleys [never stayed in a motel or hotel once]
Went to work for a “multi-national” corporation
Moved to Texas
Married Mrs. Spirit [the true love of my life]
Founded the “Fresh Spirit Ranch”
Designed and built the “Spirit House” on the ranch
Raised two absolutely great children [now in the process of finishing their college educations]
Started my own business
And have continued to LIVE “THE DREAM” daily

“RULES OF THE ROAD”
Keep your priorities in life straight [Faith, Family, Friends, and then Work]
Never stop learning
Keep a “healthy” sense of humor
Help others when you can

What you get out of life will be commensurate with what you put into it.

Remember, it’s NOT about the money;
It’s really about “The Dream, The Passion, The Romance, and The Mystery”

It has been quite a RIDE.

BEST TO YOU AND YOUR FUTURE.

- SPIRIT –

And by the way, Texas is truly a land of opportunity, no matter what Dr. Frank says.

Last edited:

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Spirit, I love your spirit! Ever seen the movie "Big Fish"? I always think of that wonderful film when reading your enthusiastic posts... if you haven't seen it, give it a rent!