What $3m will buy... Ultima with a neat motor

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Maxximus Acceleration: Zero to 60 in 2.1 Seconds

An Indiana businessman and a race car-driving chauffeur have built what they and the World Record Academy call the world's fastest street-legal car, a 1,600-horsepower beast that does zero to sixty in just 2.1 seconds.
That's right. Two-point-one seconds.

Designer Marlon Kirby and financier David McMahan unveiled the Maxximus G-Force this morning in Beverly Hills, and they'll happily sell you one for $3 million. That kind of money buys you a car with a 7-liter twin turbocharged Chevrolet V8 engine powerful enough to leave the Ferrari Enzo, McLaren F1 and even the mighty Bugatti Veyron in its dust. When Kirby let 'er rip at Rockingham Raceway in North Carolina a few months ago, the car did zero to 100 in 4.541 seconds and peeled off a zero-to-100-back-to-zero time of 8.861 seconds.

"Racing the Maxximus G-Force, well, it's like coming down from the top of a roller coaster ride," Kirby told Wired.com. "You're experiencing so many Gs that there is just no other way to describe it."

Kirby is the founder of Maxximus Technologies. McMahan is the president and CEO of Argent Funds Group. The two met when Kirby was driving the limo that carried McMahan home from the airport in Indianapolis. They started talking about cars and discovered they shared a dream of building a record-breaking street-legal car.

"Building a record-breaking performance car is something I always dreamed of as a kid, ever since I was strapping motors to my Radio Flyer to the time when I was drag racing Studebakers at Paradise Airport," said McMahan. "So, we exchanged numbers in the limo, and I called Marlon back about two weeks later, agreeing to finance his next project.'"

Kirby spent four years developing and building the car. He started with an Ultima GTR 720, a British super-exotic already capable of zero to 60 in 2.6 seconds. Kirby yanked the Ultima's drivetrain, gearbox and a good portion of the chassis because, he said, they couldn't handle the acceleration he was looking for. Maxximus uses an all-aluminum 434-cubic inch small-block V8 and two Turbonetics turbochargers to produce 1,600 horsepower at the flywheel. Power flows through a custom-made paddle-shifted three speed transmission. Six-piston AP Racing calipers grab 14.2-inch rotors to bring the car to a stop. The mid-engined car weighs 2,700 pounds and will suck the fuel tank dry in 9 minutes.

McMahan calls building the car a dream come true. And though it costs about twice as much as the Veyron - which does zero to 60 in 2.8 seconds - McMahan says he's had a couple of inquiries from buyers in the Middle East. Perhaps that's why the car will be featured at the Big Boy's Toys Super Show in Abu Dhabi on April 30th.

Pictures and videos at http://blog.wired.com/cars/2009/02/new-zero-to-60.html

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
So, you take a UK kit car and add a bigger motor. I could see how that might cost as much as $200K building it. Maybe even $250K if you were insane.

Where does the other $2.75 million go?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
great minds think alike,.... that was my thought... ass-x-actly :)
all what I can think of Paul is:- M A R K U P!! :)

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I watched this Vid and laughed. Looks like Kirbey could barely find his way out of a cardboard box:lol let alone have the smarts to build this car. He farmed it out and put about 2.5mil in his bank account to retire on. The thing had more blow by idling than most hp cars have under boost. Next what gave it away was the fact the he said the engine was ripping the altinator belt off it because of all the Hp HAHAHA. Let see the altinator doesn't even have drag under full throttle so the pulley is just there for the ride. This proved his knowledge to be very little about anything automotive related. I didn't see a dyno pull but it would take at least a twin 85mm turbo to make that much power to the tire. On the other hand at least the guy with all the money has something to show for as most people that do projects like this never get finished, So regardless of Kirby's knowledge he Got er done.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
So, you take a UK kit car and add a bigger motor. I could see how that might cost as much as $200K building it. Maybe even $250K if you were insane.

Where does the other $2.75 million go?

exactly, it wouldnt even cost 200k I priced out a new ultima with a 1600 hp nelson motor, and at most you will spend about 160- to 180k 3 mil for this car is :bs

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Maxximus Acceleration: Zero to 60 in 2.1 Seconds

An Indiana businessman and a race car-driving chauffeur have built what they and the World Record Academy call the world's fastest street-legal car, a 1,600-horsepower beast that does zero to sixty in just 2.1 seconds.
That's right. Two-point-one seconds.

Designer Marlon Kirby and financier David McMahan unveiled the Maxximus G-Force this morning in Beverly Hills, and they'll happily sell you one for $3 million. That kind of money buys you a car with a 7-liter twin turbocharged Chevrolet V8 engine powerful enough to leave the Ferrari Enzo, McLaren F1 and even the mighty Bugatti Veyron in its dust. When Kirby let 'er rip at Rockingham Raceway in North Carolina a few months ago, the car did zero to 100 in 4.541 seconds and peeled off a zero-to-100-back-to-zero time of 8.861 seconds.

"Racing the Maxximus G-Force, well, it's like coming down from the top of a roller coaster ride," Kirby told Wired.com. "You're experiencing so many Gs that there is just no other way to describe it."

Kirby is the founder of Maxximus Technologies. McMahan is the president and CEO of Argent Funds Group. The two met when Kirby was driving the limo that carried McMahan home from the airport in Indianapolis. They started talking about cars and discovered they shared a dream of building a record-breaking street-legal car.

"Building a record-breaking performance car is something I always dreamed of as a kid, ever since I was strapping motors to my Radio Flyer to the time when I was drag racing Studebakers at Paradise Airport," said McMahan. "So, we exchanged numbers in the limo, and I called Marlon back about two weeks later, agreeing to finance his next project.'"

Kirby spent four years developing and building the car. He started with an Ultima GTR 720, a British super-exotic already capable of zero to 60 in 2.6 seconds. Kirby yanked the Ultima's drivetrain, gearbox and a good portion of the chassis because, he said, they couldn't handle the acceleration he was looking for. Maxximus uses an all-aluminum 434-cubic inch small-block V8 and two Turbonetics turbochargers to produce 1,600 horsepower at the flywheel. Power flows through a custom-made paddle-shifted three speed transmission. Six-piston AP Racing calipers grab 14.2-inch rotors to bring the car to a stop. The mid-engined car weighs 2,700 pounds and will suck the fuel tank dry in 9 minutes.

McMahan calls building the car a dream come true. And though it costs about twice as much as the Veyron - which does zero to 60 in 2.8 seconds - McMahan says he's had a couple of inquiries from buyers in the Middle East. Perhaps that's why the car will be featured at the Big Boy's Toys Super Show in Abu Dhabi on April 30th.

Pictures and videos at http://blog.wired.com/cars/2009/02/new-zero-to-60.html

Uuuuuuuh, ackshully, the world's fastest street legal car is a '63 'Vette that does 0-60 in ONE second.

'True.

(for doubters:)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/carroll/bal-md.fastcar07feb07,0,2315880.story?page=1

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Uuuuuuuh, ackshully, the world's fastest street legal car is a '63 'Vette that does 0-60 in ONE second.

'True.

(for doubters:)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/carroll/bal-md.fastcar07feb07,0,2315880.story?page=1

Rod has driven this vette from Mi. to Ohio and ran low sevens and maybe into the 6's by driving it there. He is one of the pioneers of Pro Street and has been in the scene for a long time. A legand too some of the Gm guys.

There also is a clip from that video of the supercar challenge in Bradenton and there was a Blk Mustang there from New York that went 7.17 @ 221 and that is on a 315-50-15 MT drag radial. Rods Corvette uses a Big tire like a 35-16-15. That mustang a few weeks later went 6.93 and was the First 6 second Drag radial car in the country.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Being Kirby was a Limo driver, who wants to bet that Maxximus Technologies was built during the stages of the Car.:lol Some one got taken for a ride but like i said at least the guy providing the money actually got something out of his money as many of the projects just end up dead in the water.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
. That mustang a few weeks later went 6.93 and was the First 6 second Drag radial car in the country.

Different tracks, different days, different atmospheric conditions, etc.

For all any of us knows, somebody somewhere has bested BOTH times by now! :lol

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Different tracks, different days, different atmospheric conditions, etc.

For all any of us knows, somebody somewhere has bested BOTH times by now! :lol

No body has beat Rods times and there is a Dragradial car out of Ga. that went 6.91 last weekend. Take this into consideration though. The first drag radial car to run 6's was a stock style suspension car and the second car was a 4-link car. Either way 6's on Radials is unreal, especialy when prostock cars with huge tires run 6.5 to 6.70s and these cars will end up runnin 6.8s and this is @ 3300lbs also.

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
dumb.

H

HHGT

Hey Lee, where have you been? It's been quiet here without you!

Sam

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... especialy when prostock cars with huge tires run 6.5 to 6.70s and these cars will end up runnin 6.8s and this is @ 3300lbs also.

Ya, but pro stocks ae limited to 500 cu in nor. asp. engines, etc., etc., and we don't know HOW MANY cubes these guys are running or at what boost! :biggrin

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
221 MPH is sick. That shows how much power he is making. As a reference, you can run 6.70's at under 205 in pro stock trim. The fastest I have been is 7.22@197. My t-bird couldn't go two miles, yet alone two states.

Steve

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Ya, but pro stocks ae limited to 500 cu in nor. asp. engines, etc., etc., and we don't know HOW MANY cubes these guys are running or at what boost! :biggrin

I know and a prostock weighs only 2300lbs. Cubes are on these radial cars are between 390 small block ford and 632bb chevy and most are running twin 88mm turbos. Now a proctocker will .60ft about a .998 to 1.02 and these radial cars are .60ft'n a 1.22-1.30 so they are making up seroius ground down track. Boost is between 35 and 50lbs:) A prostocker will go 4.20 to the eight and the fastest so far from a radial car is a 4.60 and most are in the 4.65 range. So take that 6.91-4.65 and the back half is a 226. Now a prostocker is a 6.60-4.20 and that is a 2.40 back half. The turbo cars are making between 2400 and 3000hp. It is very tricky to get it to the ground on a small tire let alone a radial.
anyways
Later