Weight of GTX1 conversion

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
How many pounds does the GTX1 conversion add to the base GT?

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Do you mean weight or wait?:biggrin

And is that Pounds Or Dollars?

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
do you think it adds weight to the car I thought that it might lose a couple lbs in the conversion.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I thought I read somewhere that the GTX1 has extra structural bracing and if I read it right, all the structural enhancements to make the converted car as stiff as the coupe has got to add at least 100 or more pounds.

Yogi

Photographer
Aug 28, 2006
Green Bay, WI
GTX1 Weight

I just spoke with Mark, we haven't taken the time to weigh them out and do an actual comparison. As soon as we do I will post numbers. However, it is generally believed that the X1 weighs in lighter than the GT. If we are wrong in that statement it isn't by much.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Usually convertibles are heavier than coupes - additional bracing etc being needed for torsional rigidity etc.

But Yogi would know more than most....

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Converts were (probably still are) heavier--you have to do something to restore the structural ridgidity of the (missing) roof . Thats why there are virtually no hi-po 60's converts. The " probably" refers to the ability to now do cad stress modeling and access to lightweight structural CF materials --look at the Murci convertable engine bay brace.