Viper Info Requested

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
There are quite a few current and past Viper owners here. If one was thinking about purchasing a Viper now, what would be your recommendations as far as finding info about pricing, technical specs, years to stay away from, dealers to work with, etc......

thank you

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I've had 11. What are you looking for? As far as new, Roanoke Motors, John Gastman, owner is great. Let me know what you are looking for.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
I've purchased a few from John Gastman at Roanoke Motors.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have had a few, as you may recall the Viper plant shuttered in January of 2009. When production resumed four months later many of the early MY10 models had some paint issues. The 5th Generation (latest) had some quality control issues at the onset. Also they are not tuner friendly. In my opinion best years were 2008 thru 2010. With the mopar pcm and some bolt ons you could be up to 640HP. I believe I would take the 2015 Z06 when it comes out over the 5th Gen Viper.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I have had a few, as you may recall the Viper plant shuttered in January of 2009. When production resumed four months later many of the early MY10 models had some paint issues. The 5th Generation (latest) had some quality control issues at the onset. Also they are not tuner friendly. In my opinion best years were 2008 thru 2010. With the mopar pcm and some bolt ons you could be up to 640HP. I believe I would take the 2015 Z06 when it comes out over the 5th Gen Viper.
I must agree about the ZO6 over the 5th Gen.
But, I love my much modified 1997 GTS.
It's raw!
Best of luck on your buy.
Mark

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
After driving a new 5th gen a few months back I would not buy one. I do like the older ones.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Gen 5 has been a disaster . Huge backlog and plant closed. Prices slashed. I cancelled mine. Agree on Z06.

If I were looking I'd get a low vin 92, 96 blue / white GTS, or GT-R. Maybe a late model ACR for fun. I had a bunch of Gen 3s and 4s-- mostly unremarkable.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Vipers are the new Neons of Dodge. Very hard to resell unless you want to give it away.
Look at the most collectable of the Vipers...1998 GTS R Values are in the tank, from
150K+ to mid to high 80's now. Too many special editions, even a Mclaren Viper is
still for sale may years later after building it. Dealers are trying to keep the prices up
but they are not selling even used. I purchased my last viper in 2008 unless i were to
purchase a GT1 or GT3 European Car.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
John Gastman is the man! (800) 541-6858. Tell him Mike the Ford Dealer sent you. I owned 28, all bought from him. I shopped them all and he will make you a deal as well as be there after for ANYTHING you might want. He is a car enthusiast, and dealer second!

Mike

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Looking at a couple '08 & '09 convertibles with 10 -15K miles on each.

What do you guys think about a Belanger exhaust? ........or a Lemke hardtop? ........or are there better options?

Anything to be aware of when it comes to the paint, trim packg, stereo, interior material, ergonomics, etc....?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
1. John Gastman of Roanoke Motors is Excellent. We worked with him for the Vipers we purchased for the Devon GTX Vehicles. He helped with shipping ( he will deliver ) and he helped us ship one to Belgium for Testing.
2. Belanger Headers - Lou Belanger is an excellent Viper Exhaust builder. We had his headers built and installed on the Devon GTX Vehicles. He custom made the exhaust system so that it was a Center-Rear-Exit thru square tips.
The Headers and exhaust improved HP and Fuel economy. No better exhaust option for Viper in my opinion.

Feel free to say that Andy Benedict recommended them both.
Good Luck
andy (AJB)

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Kingman, we have a Gen 3 Viper (2003). The Gen 4 Vipers are great cars, especially the ACR. Tranny was much better in the Gen4. Gen3 cars are great but a weak link is the tranny with all the torque. Gen3's are more easily modified, however, for major power they need the motors built. The Gen1's and Gen2's (1992-1999) had forged internals so can take pretty big hp on the stock set up. The Roadster is great. Way different than the GT but still great raw car.

tom46818

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2012
Overland Park, KS
If you are looking for a Gen 4 ACR, I have a 2010 ACR Vooodoo Edition with 950 miles that I am thinking about selling if you're interested?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I have an '08 Vert in Very Viper Orange, with Belanger headers and exhaust. That header /exhaust combo is the only way to go, to mitigate the lousy Dodge V10 sound. Now at least it sounds good, not a V8, but better than factory. It does get a good 30 more RWHP with those headers and high flow cats.

I also did a 3.55 rear end, which woke the car up big time. Factory rear end is way too tall and useless at 3.08...

The car is a big piece of shit in my opinion...nothing more than a very powerful Dodge Ram in sport body, but it's a sexy beast with lots of power on tap and I'd buy one again, just not a Gen 5. No wonder they're about done with this car and they can't give 'em away. My '08 Z06 walks all over this car...

I'll keep this car, but I'll also add a C7 Z06 to the stable within a year or two.

Pro's

* very sexy looking car
* tons of power
* gets a lot of attention
* great on a track
* real bad-boy reputation
* serious pussy magnet
* it's a Dodge made from Ram parts - and it's cheap and easy to fix!
* unreal braking
* did I mention this is one sexy car?

Cons

* non-linear power delivery. Not real torquey under 3K RPM and then watch out...very dangerous if you're not careful with the right foot. The entire power band is from 3500-6200
* very unruly in the streets - no manners at all. Wants to kill it's owner
* very uncomfortable if you're beyond 5'10"
* at 6'2" my eyes line up with the top of the windshield frame
* lots of rattles, particularly the roof
* car bites if you don't pay attention (it lets you know it's a Viper)
* very bouncy ride, like a Dodge Ram
* needs drag radials in the streets - no traction with regular tires.
* hard and scary to drive at it's limits; it always wants to kill you, did I mention that before?

This is mine -

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I echo the above sentiments.
These cars require "maturity" to drive on the street.
Best,
Mark

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Yeah but to me that is the fun part. To each his own.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Hey Torrie.
I don't disagree at all!
They just have a habit of wanting to get away from you at the higher limits.
Best,
Mark

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have an '08 Vert in Very Viper Orange, with Belanger headers and exhaust. That header /exhaust combo is the only way to go, to mitigate the lousy Dodge V10 sound. Now at least it sounds good, not a V8, but better than factory. It does get a good 30 more RWHP with those headers and high flow cats.

I also did a 3.55 rear end, which woke the car up big time. Factory rear end is way too tall and useless at 3.08...

The car is a big piece of shit in my opinion...nothing more than a very powerful Dodge Ram in sport body, but it's a sexy beast with lots of power on tap and I'd buy one again, just not a Gen 5. No wonder they're about done with this car and they can't give 'em away. My '08 Z06 walks all over this car...

I'll keep this car, but I'll also add a C7 Z06 to the stable within a year or two.

Pro's

* very sexy looking car
* tons of power
* gets a lot of attention
* great on a track
* real bad-boy reputation
* serious pussy magnet
* it's a Dodge made from Ram parts - and it's cheap and easy to fix!
* unreal braking
* did I mention this is one sexy car?

Cons

* non-linear power delivery. Not real torquey under 3K RPM and then watch out...very dangerous if you're not careful with the right foot. The entire power band is from 3500-6200
* very unruly in the streets - no manners at all. Wants to kill it's owner
* very uncomfortable if you're beyond 5'10"
* at 6'2" my eyes line up with the top of the windshield frame
* lots of rattles, particularly the roof
* car bites if you don't pay attention (it lets you know it's a Viper)
* very bouncy ride, like a Dodge Ram
* needs drag radials in the streets - no traction with regular tires.
* hard and scary to drive at it's limits; it always wants to kill you, did I mention that before?

This is mine -

I can't begin to follow this. A POS that you would buy again? " P Magnet"? Please tell us more.

While it's not a town Car, at nearly 6'5" I've never even lowered the seats in any of my Vipers, all of which have been pretty damn nice cars for the money.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I can't begin to follow this....

:agree: