ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

After watching our good friend Ed Sims race his 35 year old Husqvarna motocross bike (and annihilate his competitors) at a Vintage MX race here in Arizona a few months ago I was filled with desire. I had a 1972 Husky 450CR in high school and rode the snot out of it on weekends as well as a few desert races. It was a leftover bike that my local dealer wanted to get rid of and I could afford it so that's what I bought. But the bike I REALLY wanted was the 1973 6-speed 250WR with a red gas tank that looked just like Steve McQueen's 1970 400 and 250 Cross Husky's in the film "On Any Sunday". Hey, better late than never. I still ride in the desert pretty often and I miss the smell of 2-stroke vegetable oil.

So in an attempt to recapture a small measure of my long departed youth I contacted Husky Restorations in New York where a talented Husqvarna expert rebuilds vintage bikes into works of art. My 250WR should be finished in a couple more months. The top pictures are photos of my bikes parts being restored and the bottom photos are of the last 250WR completed by Husky Restorations (what my finished bike will look like). I cant wait!! :banana

Chip

Attachments

• Parts 1.jpg
    Parts 1.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Parts 2.jpg
    Parts 2.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 256
  • Parts 3.jpg
    Parts 3.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Parts 4.jpg
    Parts 4.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 244
  • Parts 5.jpg
    Parts 5.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

Attachments

• Parts 6.jpg
    Parts 6.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Parts 7.jpg
    Parts 7.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 252
  • Parts 8.jpg
    Parts 8.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Husqvarna 250 WR a.jpg
    Husqvarna 250 WR a.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 256
  • Husqvarna 250 WR b.jpg
    Husqvarna 250 WR b.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 255

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
That looks like one heck of a nice restoration. I know nothing of bikes, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Chip,

I raced motocross in the 70's when I was much younger as aan amatuer. Not very good amatuer. But it was one of the highlights of my younger years. I also miss the smell of the two strokes. Recently had a Yamaha YZ250F Four Stroke and it had almost three times the power of my old "BULTACO" some will remember that bike and I would bet you are one. Have fun and remember, Those cracked ribs do not heal as fast!!!

Also, Do not let your mind place an order that your body can't fulfill! Hahaha

Larry Boatner

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
....... my old "BULTACO" some will remember that bike and I would bet you are one.....

Larry,

Yes I remember Bultaco and so many other cool makes that are gone now. Maico, DKW, Penton, Sachs, Hodaka, CZ, Rickman, Ossa, and a bunch more. Back in the late 60's and early 70's just about every European country had a manufacturer that made dirt bikes that were competitive without a billion dollar R&D budget. A real golden age and we caught the tail end of it. Dirt bikes were a small sideline business for the Swedish manufacturer Husqvarna. They no longer make motorcycles in Sweden although BMW now makes dirt bikes in Italy with the Husqvarna name.

Chip

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
i don't know why you just didn't steal Sims' bike while he was loaded. He probably would forget he ever had it. I need to give you guys some lessons.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
i don't know why you just didn't steal Sims' bike while he was loaded. He probably would forget he ever had it. I need to give you guys some lessons.

Ed has a garage full of vintage bikes and even more I have never seen. He may not notice that one is missing until it is needed in the next race.

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
I had that identical bike. It was like riding a stick of dynamite. What a machine!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Very cool Chip. He's doing it right as Husky had a zinc oxide primer then the parts where painted silver. Most restorers miss that detail. Does he have someone make the OEM pickle silencers (the "Dr Frank" silencer)? This will be a very accurate bike.

Ed

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Does he have someone make the OEM pickle silencers (the "Dr Frank" silencer)? This will be a very accurate bike.

Ed,

I don't know where he gets them but I'll find out the next time I speak to Rob. It's probably a good thing that his shop is 3000 miles away cause if it was closer I would bug him by coming by to watch the restoration process. When it's done, as you are the resident expert here, I want you to look it over and give me your honest assessment. If it's as good as it looks there is another Husky I want him to build for me.

Chip