Vent louvres warping

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Anyone else experiencing the black plastic side vents on the engine cover (trunk? hood?) warping? Going in for first service this week, I'll see if they're replaced.

Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
While in Detroit last week, Saleen replace those on SilverBullitt's car. It had this exact same issue. I was very impressed with thier operation and people. FIRST CLASS ALL THE WAY.

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
I've notnoticed this yet? but I have noticed the white paint stripe on the adjacent grille starting to yellow a little due to the immense heat from the engine. :eek

OK while driving along with the airflow over but when parked up the heat that immits of the engine is immense.

I always lift my hood now to let the engine cool when I can thus taking the heat away from the grille and the black grille.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Had mine replaced once and after the Detroit trip - going in for another set :bored

Maybe Jay can make a set out of aluminum?

Last edited:

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Not my black ones but he orange ones that are painted to match the stripes...Saleen replaced mine for me. Now I am doing teh exhaust to reduce the heat.

Matt

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
The louvers with stripe over them ARE CLOSED and not open. Is there a reason why Ford did not cut a hole beneath these to let more heat out of the engine compartment?

I've considered taking a Dremel tool to the panel beneath these louvers but decided against it until I determine the reason Ford left them closed.

Eric

Last edited:

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
mine were warped when i recieved the vehicle as new--the dealer ordered new ones and tried to match the white color 2 times, finally i called wixom and they sent a painted set right from the assembly line, and i installed them myself.

sam
#1451----------red/white
ps--took the extreme to two car shows this weekend
won best in show at one and peoples choice at the other
my gt is still at saleen--cant wait for it to come home !!!!!!!!

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
EasyEric said:
The louvers with stripe over them ARE CLOSED and not open. Is there a reason why Ford did not cut a hole beneathe these to let more heat out of the engine compartment?

I've considered taking a Dremel tool to the panel beneath these louvers but decided against it until I determine the reason Ford left them closed.

Eric

Good question. Has anyone opened up this panel or know why it is closed? Is it to keep water off of the engine/electrics?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My car is a June '05 build. While at Saleen, two very nice young women (the clamshell experts) fixed a portion of plastic on the side of the backlight. They also stated that I had an "older" car, and newer ones had an additional double-sided tape installed on these vents (the top ones) to prevent rattleing. They very quickly yanked them off and placed the tape. Pretty easy to do, especially if you have power tools.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
THE'RE attached with double sided tape?

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
No attached with 6 screws but they put tape on the top and bottom to just help it keep from rattling.

Matt

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
thanks...Jay if you are reading this, put down the soldering iron and start making these...you'll sell more....

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
I will have to look at the black ones. I have replaced one set of the fake louvres on top. They came to the dealer unpainted and they had to paint them. I would be interested if someone makes aluminum or some other metal repalcements. Otherwise we better order some extra sets.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
MAD IN NC said:
Had mine replaced once and after the Detroit trip - going in for another set :bored

Referring the clamshell thread started by White Petunia http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584&highlight=clamshell
about leaving the clamshell open or closed after a drive, I initially thought popping it open was unecessary. But after hearing and seeing these warped louvers, I wonder if popping the clamshell at the end of the drive might not be a very good idea. Is this warping problem a regional problem affecting owners in the hotter climates or across the board? Can the owners who have experienced this problem please chime in with their locations? Is it more prevalent in cars that are being tracked?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Can someone with contacts at Ford or Saleen ask why the vent louvers on top (the painted ones) are not open to allow more ventilation?

I'm curious to know, as I would like to take a dremel to the layer beneath them to allow better ventilation.

Thanks in advance.
Eric

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I didn't look but from the inside there are some runners and I thought that they worked their way to one of the vents either the black ones or painted ones....didn't look hard but should be easy to look at see.

Matt

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I'm in So Cal and with 2000mi no sign of a warp. The car is a mid year build 05'.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I've recently completed a fast 800 mile single run in mine - outside temps of about 25C (so not hot) - no warping seen and, importantly (it may be connected), no high temperatures seen on my dials either.

I suspect it must be very high ambient temperatures combined with an extremely hot engine. Opening the clam must therefore be a good thing to do in such conditions - the heat has only one direction to travel....

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I was told by one of the Ford Engineers at SSV who was checking out the TT setup on my car not to do that because it didn't effectively decrease heat in the engine compartment and altered rear downforce.

EasyEric said:
Can someone with contacts at Ford or Saleen ask why the vent louvers on top (the painted ones) are not open to allow more ventilation?

I'm curious to know, as I would like to take a dremel to the layer beneath them to allow better ventilation.

Thanks in advance.
Eric

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
My 06 has never been tracked, but it is a Texas car. I'm going to offset the rear license plate asap. So far the replacement piece has not warped.