Valve cover's pitting

Lucky

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2008
Has anyone ever had a problem with there valve covers pitting? I popped the clam shell the other day and noticed that there was some areas around the lettering that had started to pit?? Warranty work??

Thanks!!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Has anyone ever had a problem with there valve covers pitting? I popped the clam shell the other day and noticed that there was some areas around the lettering that had started to pit?? Warranty work??

Thanks!!

That's the coil cover that is pitting..... It's aluminum so get a metal polish and clean them up :thumbsup

Better yet do this!
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8030&highlight=valve+covers

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
That's the coil cover that is pitting..... It's aluminum so get a metal polish and clean them up :thumbsup

Better yet do this!
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8030&highlight=valve+covers

I'm no expert but the coil covers seem to be clear coated. It seems as though they can oxidize beneath the clear. Kinda like clear coated aluminum rims oxidize. I found a new pair for $99.00 so I'm keeping those for good.:biggrin

ROWNER8

Dec 10, 2007
coil covers pitting

While it may look like pitting on the coil covers, it's actually not. I was involved in the design of the coil covers and unfortunately at the last minute, the powers that be decided to have them clear coated. what you're looking at is a clear powder coat finish. during the process, the clear powder coat or any powder coat for that matter tends to trap gases under the coating. on the clear as these are, you can actually see it. it kinda looks like pitting or actually dirt trapped underneath but it's not. you can't use a cleaner. I think there is a market to have them stripped and polished myself. I think I would skip the clear coating even though it may be a little more work to keep them clean.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Thank you. great info !!

OilMaggott

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 19, 2005

Thanks!!

My dealer noticed the pitting and replaced both of mine under warranty, you might try it.

Lucky

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2008
Thanks For the replys !

It does appear that the coil covers are clear coated so "pitting" is probably not the proper term. It seem's that the clear coat is delaminating and that it can't be rubbed out without stripping them. Are the replacement's for this going to react the same or am I better taking car of this away from a warranty issue? This is a young car(Mileage wise) I just assume get it over with!

Thanks

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
it kinda looks like pitting or actually dirt trapped underneath but it's not. you can't use a cleaner.

Exactly...I had mine warrantied right before the warranty expired as well! Looks 100x better now...

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
While it may look like pitting on the coil covers, it's actually not. I was involved in the design of the coil covers and unfortunately at the last minute, the powers that be decided to have them clear coated. what you're looking at is a clear powder coat finish. during the process, the clear powder coat or any powder coat for that matter tends to trap gases under the coating. on the clear as these are, you can actually see it. it kinda looks like pitting or actually dirt trapped underneath but it's not. you can't use a cleaner. I think there is a market to have them stripped and polished myself. I think I would skip the clear coating even though it may be a little more work to keep them clean.

Great information. It explains a lot. Do you think the "trapped gases" or other contaminants tend to cause the discoloration because of the engine heat?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
This is meant to be related and not meant to thread hijack, but I have what appears to be a steering wheel button cover pitting, has anyone noticed that? Weirdest thing. Warranty covered?

Same type of finish as the valve cover, where it can't be cleaned?

Here is a low quality pic in bad lighting, but you get the idea. Nothing has come into contact with the steering wheel.

Probably one of the only things that really bugs me about the car. Such a little thing, but I see it all the time.

IMG_4502.jpg

Last edited:

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
This is meant to be related and not meant to thread hijack, but I have what appears to be a steering wheel button cover pitting, has anyone noticed that? Weirdest thing. Warranty covered?

Same type of finish as the valve cover, where it can't be cleaned?

Here is a low quality pic in bad lighting, but you get the idea. Nothing has come into contact with the steering wheel.

Probably one of the only things that really bugs me about the car. Such a little thing, but I see it all the time.

IMG_4502.jpg

Yes Syco, Mine to had the same problem and I had it replaced by the dealer under warranty with no more spots. Actually I did it myself with the supervision of the service manager that came by the house.:thumbsup It is a real easy replacement of the airbag.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ed Sims developed a sticker which I have yet to insert, I have the same issue with my hub. The only thing wrong with #1153 besides the loose nut behind the wheel :)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My center caps on the wheels have gone the same way, they look quite bad now....

On the coil covers, I replaced mine with the Hot Rod looking racing covers.

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
Even if it is a warranty fix, and the part is replaced, isn't only a matter of time that it'll happen again?

ROWNER8

Dec 10, 2007
Clear Coat Pitting

Not sure what exact process was used on the steering wheel button but I've noticed the same thing on other Ford products, not just the GT. Must be a supplier issue. I'm kinda surprised Ford would sign off on the quallity.

I've noticed that the coil covers almost look like they;ve had a Michigan salt attack. they have a white-ish look on some of the edges. I think the discoloration was already there from the trapped gas under the clear coat. I don't think the heat should be an issue since the valve covers probably get heated to the 200+ degree area and the powder coating takes upward of 400 degrees to cure. I have a few new pairs in the box and they have the same look as well as the ones on my car. I still think a polishing job would great on these. just a thought

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Had this happen on my prior car and airbag was replaced under warranty. My current car has developed the same problem with 1600 miles, and awaiting dealer replacement under warranty as we speak. Told by dealer, this is relatively common and happens to Mustangs too. Seek dealer replacement under warranty.