Utah Fast Pass Crash

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It was not a GT, but I heard about the incident from a friend who participated in his 05 Midnite Blue. I was going to attend this event but did not want to conflict with the Rally. I will get a chance to hear about specifics later this week, but the crash was described as "horrific" and it could have very well been fatal. Thankfully the driver looks to be fine!

"A Utah County man was hospitalized Wednesday after he wrecked one of the most expensive vehicles on the planet� in central Utah.

The man was driving across the state as part of the first-ever Utah Fast Pass fundraiser. Fast Pass is made up of exotic car owners.

When the Utah Department of Transportation closed a section of Highway 257 for the club, the man rolled his Ferrari going over 100 miles per hour.

"Unfortunately today, one of the cars lost control and rolled. It was a Ferrari Enzo, the driver was Richard Lossee, 50 years old, out of Utah county. I�m happy to report that Richard is doing well," said Doug McCleve with the Utah Department of Public Safety.

The Enzo is extremely rare, and cost roughly $1 million each. Officials said the driver's injuries were not life-threatening."

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Only way I could tell it was an Enzo was by what was left of the nose.

Pics are on streetfire.net and I think wrecked exotics...

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Crash Statistics

Pre capita by model crashes would be interesting to research. ie: percent sold /totaled. That is about the 5th Enzo I am aware of (including the local moronic 17 year old that totaled daddys car). Enzo is likely highest for cars although Hayabusas or 996's probably take it for bikes. Must believe that getting insurance for an Enzo must be like getting insurance for a Jeep Cherokee in the Gaza strip.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Enzo's are dropping like flys, seems like one every couple months.
I guess GT are getting totaled faster, but there are more GT's right?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There are a ton of totalled GT's. I'd wager enough that we'll be below 4000 total before the run ends (that's only 38 write-offs). There have been a couple complete rebuilds though.

The Enzo must have a high percentage though, with only 299 cars, give or take whatever Ferrari made special or rebuilt.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Based on what I learned here I dropped my insurance with Grundy for the GT and placed it with State Farm. Saved a lot of money. Now I expect that State Farm will re-rate the car and I will be going back to Grundy... I am shocked at the number of GT wrecks, similar to Cobra-kit-cars :confused

I pray to God that we have a safe rally and nobody takes a stupid pill :eek

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I would say that that "bump in the road" let too much air under the Ferrari. When that happened, it lost the downforce and started to lift. When 200 MPH of air force pushes up from under the bottom of your car ... well you know what happened. This has happened in races where too much air got under the car.

Be careful out there. :eek

teflon

Nov 11, 2005
DBK said:
...The Enzo must have a high percentage though, with only 299 cars, give or take whatever Ferrari made special or rebuilt.

399 not counting the rebuilds from totaled cars; factory cars that were auctioned for charity/given to the pope and the 25+ Maserati MC12s that are based on the Enzo.

Greg A

96GTS

Nov 9, 2005
Fords, NJ
That Enzo was the only one made into a T-top convertable and it was also the only one well driven with about 30k miles on it.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
White Petunia said:
Didn't Ferrari make a 400th Enzo to auction off for the tsunami relief?
correct. 400 it is (was)

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
96GTS said:
That Enzo was the only one made into a T-top convertable and it was also the only one well driven with about 30k miles on it.

That fellow has written an article or two for Road and Track. Any more word on the outcome of this crash?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Never heard anything more. I know the event is going forward as planned for next year, which is a good thing. :cheers