Uprated Suspension

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
Which is the way to go.

Would like to slightly uprate the suspension but mainly I'd like to lower it and have the ability to fine tune the ride height so that I can still get it up my drive so adjustable is a must.

Whats the recommendation and also a reliable source?

Many Thanks

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Penske's from T&A

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Everything you need is here: http://stores.ebay.com/TA-Shocks_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

If you want to just lower the car, there are the 500 dollar spring perches.

If you want to upgrade, you can start with the non adjustable penskes and go all the way up to triple adjustables. I am probably going with the single adjustables. :cheers

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Viper

In all honesty I think 3 way adj is overkill for our cars. It's a function of the weight. At 3,800lbs our cars are hardly light.

The 1-way adj are just perfect. It is more important to get the geometry right (caster, toe, camber) and here Alex's experience plays a fundamental role so I would talk to them.

In fact if you are concerned about just lowering the car I would just get some springs and not bother too much with the shocks.

I track the GT and I am on stock shocks. I can see how a little stiffer set up would help the turn in slighllty... but on the road, with over 600hp pushing you and no TC I prefer to keep things (relatively) soft and maximize traction.

I hear you about the ride height, and I thought abt it several times.... but I grate the front spoiler at every sleepy policeman....

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Matteo,
I urge all members to support Tom and Alex, they share their knowledge and work our events. Is it fair to take their settings and give the profit to another firm? Please reconsider and support our forum sponsors...... THANKS.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Daniel,
I completely agree with you. I never menat to suggest to buy something esle and then profit from Alex and Tom's knowledge. I meant to say that the most important thing in all this is geometry and so one should talk/do business with Alex and Tom as they have developed their knowledge by countless tests.

I see how my 1st sentence might be interpreted that way. I was just stating a fact though as for us Europeans it is much more difficult to get anything quickly and efficiently from the US (from the consolle tray to a pulley to a Borla etc). Plus we have to pay silly shipping rates and taxes on imports. But I never meant to undermine TA.

I am really sorry if it did not transpire from my message.

Anyway here are my thoughts:

1) 3-way adj are overkill for our cars.
2) Geometry set up is much more important.
3) Alex and Tom have the best knowledge on these matters.
4) Deal with them and you will be happy.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thanks Teo, I appreciate the clarification. It is important to this forum that we keep our sponsors alive during these difficult times. Guys like Torrie, Alex and Tom are here for us.
Torrie is shipping all the time his wares all over the world.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Daniel

I edited the post. If you want to delete the last 4 posts it may make the thread cleaner.

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
KW automotive list a suspesion kit for the Ford GT (with adjustable compression and rebound dampening).

KW are heavily in to motorsport, and supply major teams with suspension kits, and I think when Roush of UK do their uprated versions of the GT they will use their suspension kits. Phone: +44 870 990 7536 or visit the website at Web: www.kwautomotive.co.uk

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Thanks for all the kind words about T&A Shocks Guys.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
I love T&A

Yes, I do!! So does my GT. The difference on the track is tremendous. A much more "planted" feel to the car. Bumps are smoothed out and corner loads minimized - with great feedback. A wise investment.

Alex911

FORD GT OWNER - FROM RUSSIA TT FGT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I have the KW var3 adjustable coils on my GT- I put it in just before the end of the season - so didn't have time to tune it properly - however it still feels much better than stick in terms of handling with almost the same level of comfor.
I have read that a british company have made the Avro Ford GT using the KW suspensions - anyone have contact with them - maybe they can share the setup parameters with the community (would save me a lot of time) :)

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
I have the KW var3 adjustable coils on my GT- I put it in just before the end of the season - so didn't have time to tune it properly - however it still feels much better than stick in terms of handling with almost the same level of comfor.
I have read that a british company have made the Avro Ford GT using the KW suspensions - anyone have contact with them - maybe they can share the setup parameters with the community (would save me a lot of time) :)

Alex911

Not trying to be a smart A**, but that why when spending cash on a set of high end dampers. It is best to purchase from a dealer who delivers them already dialed in for you (Calibrated for your specific requirements).
Then you can spend your precious time behind the wheel having fun.

Actually if tuning parts are available for the KW shocks. I can help you shorten the development cycle time.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I have the Penske's tuned by Alex on both my cars. They both handle perfectly on both the road & the track without any more adjustments. My cars have had more than enough praise on the track by what I consider some pretty savvy professional drivers behind the wheel. :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
MODERATORS NOTE
============
GENTLEMEN:

As it becomes clear that getting parts for our FGT's will be a major issue, don't you think it pays to keep alive our known source of supply and friends? Tom and Alex developed with Penske the best system, they was supposed to be the exclusive source.

Yeah, I know Eiback, Moton, KW makes parts, but they offer little support.

Keep our team members healthy. If your buying Ford parts from anyone other than Torrie, you are doing yourself and all us other owners a injustice

Thanks.
GOD BLESS AMERICA,
DANIEL

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bony, I totally agree with you and Forum etiquette, but can't I support my Ford dealer service department as well?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Bony, I totally agree with you and Forum etiquette, but can't I support my Ford dealer service department as well?

I would think so. I you have a Ford dealer nearby that gives you great service and support, why not. If we don't also support the dealerships, Ford wouldn't exist!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ice, I just wanted to get in a big word that I'm sure Bony is looking for in his Funk&Wagnells right now.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Frankie..... yes dear,... tests come back from my samples ??? :) Ok to share them with my forum buddies....

Wait a second, we are hijacking the suspension thread... post the answer on the cancer thread :)

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gotta love T&A !!!

I have T&A Penske shocks on all 4 corners! Outstanding feel and handleing.

Chip

Attachments

• Penske.jpg
    Penske.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 156