Trip to NY... :)

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
My 5 sisters and I will be celebrating my birthday in New York! :banana None of us have ever been there, so it should be a lot of fun! Of course, we will be doing many of the typical "tourist" things (Statue of Liberty, etc), but since we have a lot of GT buddies in NY, I thought I'd send out a post to see if there are any places that you might recommend (restaurants, clubs, hotels to stay at, events/attractions, etc). We will only be there 3 days (9/30-10/2), but would like to experience as much "NY" as we can during that time.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
My 5 sisters and I will be celebrating my birthday in New York! :banana None of us have ever been there, so it should be a lot of fun! Of course, we will be doing many of the typical "tourist" things (Statue of Liberty, etc), but since we have a lot of GT buddies in NY, I thought I'd send out a post to see if there are any places that you might recommend (restaurants, clubs, hotels to stay at, events/attractions, etc). We will only be there 3 days (9/30-10/2), but would like to experience as much "NY" as we can during that time.
I'm sure that Kayvan will weigh in with some suggestions, hell, if he's not partying in Miami, maybe with 5 "sisters" he'd be your tour guide!!!!

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Get tickets for a Broadway play... always a lot of fun(Telecharge.com). Other than that bring $$$.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Boat trip around manhattan, perfect time of year.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
MJ - just enjoy yourselves....see a play...horse and buggy ride thrU thePark..visit Lady liberty...Museum of Modern Art......NY is so much to do with so little time.

Happy Birthday Young Lady. Sweet 16 again. Go For It.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If you want to hit Statue o liberty, BOOK EARLY, only 240 people per day can get to the crown, We were there in July, and did not even make it to the island, as we were unwilling to wait in line, even after we got tix (found out after 1.5+ hour wait for the boat).... http://www.statuecruises.com/ Hindsight is wonderful....

I hear the 9-11 memorial is also a pre booked event as it is still an active construction site, so limited to 1500 people per day.

Also if the lines are anything at the Empire state, BUY the VIP pass, you will MARCH right by EVERYONE in line, literally walk right by them. Our family of 4 it cost an extra $120 I think it was for all of us, and with a 6 year old to not wait in line for an hour, what do they say... "priceless".....

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
1) Steve Cohen's chamber magic show at the Waldorf Astoria - Fri. and Sat. nights only. This isn't cheap, but it I see his show any time I am in NYC. Book way in advance.
2) Fuerza Bruta - This is a large-scale perfomance art event. It's not on a stage but in a big auditorium. It's amazing. One of the best shows ever.
3) If you are looking for a cheap place to stay; the POD hotel is interesting. I like the Gershwin. It's super cool and very eclectic.
4) If you like music - hit the Knitting Factory. check who is performing before you go.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
It's funny to me reading folks suggestions. I spent a good part of my life living in NYC, and never did a lot of the things on people's suggested list (Statue, Empire State, carriage ride...) . Really depends what your likes are, and if you are into the tourist routes. Central Park is the greatest city park in America to walk around. Some of the best restaurants and museums in the world are in NY. FWIW, I'd avoid the tourist spots and just wander the park, the village and museums.

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Calling GINO........

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
It's funny to me reading folks suggestions. I spent a good part of my life living in NYC, and never did a lot of the things on people's suggested list (Statue, Empire State, carriage ride...) . Really depends what your likes are, and if you are into the tourist routes. Central Park is the greatest city park in America to walk around. Some of the best restaurants and museums in the world are in NY. FWIW, I'd avoid the tourist spots and just wander the park, the village and museums.

Jax,

So true. The vast majority of Arizona residents have never been to the Grand Canyon or any of our other most popular tourist spots. I love wandering around Manhattan too, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Chip

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
At the Statue of Liberty read the New Colossus plaque that says ..."Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses ..." and then go to Ellis Island where that was realized. It's an amazing place. I had relatives that came through there. I found that the two or three hours we had at each place wasn't enough but I'm somewhat of a history nut. If you are also you'll definitely want at least a half-day at Ellis.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Since Kayvan hasn't stepped up and weighed in..................there are hundreds of great restaurants in NYC, I'm sure that there are many people that can weigh in with a recommendation or two. Decide what kind of food you like, then let us know, and we can come up with a few ideas. Coming to NYC, if you want to see the "tourist attractions", whether it be the Empire State Bldg., ground zero, the Intrepid, Statue of Liberty, etc. pick which ones you want to see, and make the appropriate plans. There are lots of museums to chose from, the Botanical Gardens, the Bronx Zoo, hell even going to Jones Beach could be something you enjoy. If you've always wanted to come to NYC, I'm sure there are things on your bucket list, do those first.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I agree 10000% but when 6 and 10 year olds are in tow, Plays, bars, museums, and restaurants, well..... not so much...The toursity things were a hafta do. Ask me if I have been to the USS constitution, freedom trail, Duck boats, Cheers, Lexington Concord battlefields, etc etc etc that are here in Boston..... (or at least since I was a kid...) So I hear you loud and clear, and agree....

It's funny to me reading folks suggestions. I spent a good part of my life living in NYC, and never did a lot of the things on people's suggested list (Statue, Empire State, carriage ride...) .

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I will do this in Bullets/highlights as NYC cant be captured in <100000000 words

Hotels: budget is a huge issue here?
------------------------------------------

-Times Square: huge pop for eyes; lots of action: broadway, shopping, people-watch...dies down aft. work/weekends as its in business area

-Classic NYC: Plaza, Waldorf, Pierre...pricey, but if u want to say u did NYC, then this is it. One night here & ash tray will be talked about for decades

-Hip: Soho Gran Hotel; Gansevoort Park Ave; Gansevoort Meat Backing; Standard Hotel Meatpacking.....all these will make you feel like you r in a movie...and as Gals u will be bragging about "scene" with roof top bar, sky pools, celebs, etc

Areas:

SoHo: bar none for Females this is it...shopping, scene, stores, worlds largest Prada, Victorias Secret, Cupcakes, Shoes, etc

Plenty of Bistro, Cafes, etc. also can pop in to Little Italy, ChinaTown, Nolita, West Village (Sex in the City) etc.

West Village: Classic NY, Washington Sq Park; Bitter End; Music, Jazz, cobble-stone sts

UpTown: Fifth Ave - Shopping galore - 57 / 5th Start at Tiffanys, Bergdorfs, Saks, and about 1000 other stores....all elite. Stop in and get $1-5 item or sample from each. You will buy luggage for this alone.

Central Park: Whole afternoon; walk around lake at 79th st; Pop in the Met Museum; Carriage ride; Lunch at Cafe on Lake

Upper East Side: 5th ave (59st to 79th St) 10 Museums: Warhol to Picasso; get poster for $10...dont Miss Guggenheim free cocktail party Fri or MoMA Museum garden Jazz Thur nights

Restaurants: over 10,000

Few i would say

-Four Seasons Pool Room; classic platinum NYC spot
-Cipriani DownTown -- wall to wall Celebs, models, rappers, moguls
-Balthazar: classic massive french Brasserie...never a bad meal in 15 yrs...Paris in NYC
-Steak Houses-Sparks, Smith & Wollensky, Peter Lugers, Del Frisco, Palm: packed with Rich guys looking for Women !

Bars

Roof Tops of Thompson Hotel, Penninsula, Standard (boom-boom room)

My Formula for out of towners:

Go to the Best, spend the least, get the most

Stay in 2-3 hotels, from W knock off's*, to chains, splurge 1 night
Order burgers; they chop up filets/sirloins from night before
Get 2-3 bottle of liquour, keep in room with mixers, free ice; DONT drink out--> $17 drinks
Get bags of bagels, rolls...while on the run for breakfast; pit stop at coffee chains
Hit pool/sauna every night to revive, hit town hard, can sleep at home
Dont shop; look. Limit ur buy to 1-3 u love. Lugging bags is a waste
Go crazy. NYC is not for holding back.

*All the major chains have "W" style knocks offs in the hip outer parts off NYC. Just use SoHo or Greenich Village zipcodes and search Marriott, Radisson, Sheraton, InterConitental, Clarion, Holiday Inn. These are "test" concept hotel that are being used to compete with W, Hyatt Loft, etc. They are priced below market and hotels are like a W; same style, sheets, amenities, iMacs, etc. They are nothing like Marriots in Cleveland!!!

Last edited:

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Wow, great advice from Kayvan!!

Manhattan can be done w/ great fun/success at a value, just takes work and great information like his post.

I also suggest you take a quick look at some architectural treasures like the Plaza, Waldorf-Astoria, Grand Central Station, NYSE, etc. Free, fast, and fun.

Also, if you're moving from uptown to midtown to lower Manhattan or from neighborhood to neighborhood, definitely use the subway. Cheap and its the total NY native experience -- don't be intimidated, it's safe enough and help from locals/directions are always available.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys! At this point, our "to do" list is far too ambitious and would require at least a week (or multiple trips), but you gave some great ideas I had not considered before. Although I should be on a budget, I rarely stay on one during trips (too many fun things to do). :biggrin I know we'll be going to Ellis Island and to a Broadway play. Will spend some time this weekend with my sisters trying to narrow the list... Kayvan, we may have to try a few of your suggestions as well! Jeff, we will definitely have a great time, regardless of what we end up doing. :banana Thanks!

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
See Rock of Ages and Jersey Boys

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Three days ain't much time. Do Empire state building, Rockefeller Center, Times Square. Grand Central Station is a kick and food is great and cheap for New York prices. I can't believe no one has mentioned SHOPPING for 5 women. Don't forget Macy's, etc. In March I stayed at the Carlton, great location, walking distance to everywhere, fairly cheap for downtown Manhattan. The bigger the room you want, the more it will cost (directly proportional to square footage).