"trans-cooler" installation

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Anyone know anything about a part from Ford Racing called a "transcooler". It is on the DVD that they give you when you buy the car. Rick Titus describes it near the end of the section on the engine technology. Something about when you go to the track, you may want the add-on "transcooler", to increase air flow to the transaxle etc. Went to the Ford Dealership and no one knew anything about this add-on? They said they would call Ford Racing and ask about it.

Last edited:

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
Did they even know what kind of car it was???
I say that because I have been hearing from other members on here that have approached dealers that didn't.
Anyway, it is about a ~$1280 part.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I am getting a little more info, I understand that unless you are at the track frequently, it is better not to add it on as the transaxle nevers warms up with cruise type driving?

My Ford Parts guy is suppose to let me know next day or so.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You must have gone to Ford tractor dealer.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
There is an awful lot of informatin about the trans cooler on this site. Do a search.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
AtomicGT said:
I am getting a little more info, I understand that unless you are at the track frequently, it is better not to add it on as the transaxle nevers warms up with cruise type driving?

My Ford Parts guy is suppose to let me know next day or so.

The cooler helps in all situations and should have been standard equipment on the vehicle to begin with.

Use the search function many previous discussions to learn from.

Dave

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
So, some say yes, some say no unless you are at the track frequently. Not sure what is the best advice. Main negative is it takes the transaxle more time to warm up?? Is this a major issue?

Ahhh, indecision, indecision....... :willy

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The only advice I could give you is that mine leaks without track use and others leak without track use. The transaxle was designed to have one but it was decided not to fit it.....

So I'm fitting it.

It would also seem to be the case that some highly knowledgable souls on this Forum suggest fitting it (they have no agenda other than happy GT's), so the balance of opinion would appear to be - go and get one!

It's about the price of a decent evening out - so hardly a King's ransom.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
leilda,

Have ordered one, I will know in a few days where it is. I assume it is put on at the dealership? Any problems with installation? I have had my GT for about 13 days, 280 miles on it. I get a little feeling of a grabby clutch occasionally in 1st gear starting from a dead stop. You have that same sensation? Double clutching usually resolves it.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
AtomicGT said:
So, some say yes, some say no unless you are at the track frequently. Not sure what is the best advice. Main negative is it takes the transaxle more time to warm up?? Is this a major issue?

Ahhh, indecision, indecision....... :willy

Atomic

The warm-up time is a non-issue.

Dave

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Okay, it is going on as soon as it arrives. :banana

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
WOW, Neidla, either things a really expensive in the UK, or you must like expensive wine. :biggrin

Craig "Scorch"

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi 'Scorch' (!). I loved your post with the sausage - I'm glad you were not injured and that the car is OK too. Definitely a warranty issue - shouldn't happen.

$1500 for an evening out with friends? It's happened. Not too often - but once you head off piste with the wine list.........

Atomic, installation is straightforward - but I'd say a couple of things to you.... I tend to be extremely cautious about doing ANY work that involves either breaking oil seals or particularly when parts need to be torqued onto the main engine block. On the GT, I just won't do it - too risky.

We have some very competent engineers on the Forum who'll say it's an easy install - I'd advise you not to do it yourself. Can you imagine tightening a bolt on the engine and 'snap' something bends or breaks?! :ack

Find a decent service center (ask around) and have them do it. It needs another quart of fluid (on top of what you already have in there) and filling the rad might be tricky.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Nielda,

London is my favorite city, have a great pub crawls everytime in Mayfair. Do you drive the GT in the city? Must be havoc? I imagine on the motorway early AM would be brilliant but there must be cameras all over the motorways?

Do you know anything about the UK Ford GT40 Club for both original GT40, replicas and new GTs? Seems like this a pretty sophisticated replica club. Noticed their web site and publication, "Fortifycation"

http://www.gt40enthusiastsclub.com/

http://www.gt40.co.uk/gt40.html

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Atomic - my office is in Mayfair, so I know most of the pubs reasonably well, as you might imagine! The GT has not been into London yet - London road were really designed for a horse and cart, not the red beast. Also my office (and parking) is in a cobbled mews through an old arch which acts as a width barrier.

I've heard of the GT40 clubs - in fact I was in touch with them a couple of years back as I so desperately wanted a GT I was considering a replica..

Glad I waited!