Trailer towing speed limit in Texas and New Mexico.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

As I make final preparations for our convoy to Fort Stockton and on to Austin for Rally IV, I'm having trouble determining the speed limit in Texas and New Mexico on Interstate 10 for vehicles that are pulling a trailer. I see the speed limit on I-10 in Texas is 75 mph for cars and 55 mph for heavy trucks. So if I'm driving a Ford Expedition pulling my Trailex trailer, can I go 75 mph or am I limited to 55 mph??? I had the same question about the speed limit on I-10 in New Mexico. I need this information so I can determine how much time to allow for travel in order to make our 7 p.m. dinner in Fort Stockton. Thanks for your help with this.

Chip

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
The problem Chip is if the trailer is open, the GT will look like it is going faster than the truck.:lol. So if aproached from the rear your true speed will be difficult to figure out. Sorry, I do not know your answer, but could not resist chiming in. :lol

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Chip, about 2 years back, I pulled my horse trailer along with the 2 horses from LA to Chicago. Only state I had a problem with was California, Go figure... 2 horses at 1500 lbs ea. and a double axle enclosed HTrailer with feed and tack at about 2500-3000lbs.
Total for me was approximately 5500-6000 lbs along with my Dodge 2500 which weighs in at gvwr of 6900....
Was able to do the posted speed limit of 70 or 75.....
No tickets, no looks etc...

Hope that helps
:cheers

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Your Excursion with trailer is still a passenger vehicle, not a "truck."

So, you can go 75.

And actually, apparently the limit is 80 in some areas of Texas.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
from El Paso to Fort Stockton the speed limit is 80 mph for cars but at night i believe it is 75 mph. the speed limit for trailers is slower as i recall......

all these speed limits are clearly displayed on the signs

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What's a speed limit?:lol

Just had to do it; couldn't resist.:frown

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
In Texas, cities and counties set the limits. Not the Feds.

For a 1 ton pulling a trailer, most of I-10 from El Paso to Junction is 80 day and 65 at night unless otherwise marked or you are over 26,000#.

I've learned the hard way and Ive been up and down that road a million times. :wink

And like 427Aggie says below, you will be classified as a passenger vehicle - unless you are to heavy which you probably wont be.

Last edited:

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Towed to phoenix and back with a 24' trailer on my 3/4 ton dodge. Follow the speed limit for passenger vehicles. Never been stopped in 8 years of going to Tulsa and Austin doing it.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
This is the first time I can recall Chip asking "what is the speed limit?"
AJB

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
This is the first time I can recall Chip asking "what is the speed limit?"
AJB

Chip??? It's the 1st darn time ANYBODY has around here!!!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Chip??? It's the 1st darn time ANYBODY has around here!!!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl

SHUSH!!!!!! Don't tell anyone.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Towed to phoenix and back with a 24' trailer on my 3/4 ton dodge. Follow the speed limit for passenger vehicles. Never been stopped in 8 years of going to Tulsa and Austin doing it.

:thumbsup What he said.
Pulled a 48' with my F-350 with two cars in it from Calgary to Albequerque to Vegas and back to Calgary with no problems for R3. Well except for the looky loos at Hoover Dam :biggrin

:cheers
Trent

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Thanks!!

I'm up to speed! :cheers :biggrin

Chip