Track time tasted

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I've been reading about temp difference between these two grills for a long time now. Obviously there must be a difference in airflow or Ford wouldn't have made the change in '06.

It's just hard for me to see how that small amount of metal mesh could make much of a difference in airflow.

If the front grill makes a noticeable difference, how about the rear radiator grill? Would removing the backside grill help? I understand some of Fords test cars had it removed. Anybody try it?

See the post and thread...

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12029

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=141371#post141371

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
So these are the front rotors as they sit now.

I am waiting for the Stillen AP calipers to arrive from the US.

The pads were mounted at lunchtime of the track day. The rotors were not new, but they probably had max 2,000 street miles on them (the previous set had been changed after Silverstone)...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
From the look of your rotors you most have enjoyed your time on the track.

You must have been running a set of non-stock racing pads. I don't think the stock pads would do that during one track event, but they wouldn't stop as well either.

Last edited:

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Pagid RS blue. Non stock... much harder compound...

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
I think I would switch to a Slotted set of rotors, if avaliable for AP. You may want to try cryo or heat treaded aka stress relieved. The cracks around the driled holes are pretty common at the track. While they look ugly, I have run on stuff like that before with no issues, but as watching close after each session.

The OEM rotor is not really directional either. It has the post vane system that helps make them lighter and the air swirl (maybe). A directional rotor grabs the air and draws it through. The meaty part of the OEM is a little thinner as well compared to a real race rotor. It's a well balanced rotor between weight/thickness and a good part, just not race quality. As ICE mentioned, it may have fared better with stock pads.

Track days are bad for you ... can you say addiction. :thumbsup

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Yes... the new rotors will be 2 piece slotted.

I agree that stock pads would have been gentler on the rotors, but I would have had a mushy pedal after 4-5 laps....

Track days are addicted, and the GT is so much more than a straight line missile.... As you become better the car starts to shine.

The behaviour at the limits is very predictable. The problem is getting to those limits, because they are extremely high and a little mistake would easily result in a total loss...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My Vanquish discs (rotors) cracked around the drill holes - just regular street driving.

That's all I have to say.

Not an interesting post, as interesting posts go.

Just wanted to share my cracked holes with you really.

I'm going now.

Keep in touch....

:wink

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
So these are the front rotors as they sit now.

I am waiting for the Stillen AP calipers to arrive from the US.

The pads were mounted at lunchtime of the track day. The rotors were not new, but they probably had max 2,000 street miles on them (the previous set had been changed after Silverstone)...

Sir,

2 quick questions if you don't mind. #1) Did you order your kit through Roush Technologies? #2) Our brake kits come with a pad that is designed for street and track use. It sounds to me like you might be in need of a pad more suited to track use. With our big brake kits we offer a few different choices of brake pads. Some are perfect for street and mild track use, some are suited for mild street and predominantly track use while others are strictly track. Please feel free to answer in this thread as the information could be useful to others or email me at kmillen@stillen.com or we can communicate over the phone. Whichever you prefer.:thumbsup

Last edited:

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Hey boss

yes, I ordered the kit via Roush Technologies. They are great at looking after the car for me and I thought it was fair that way.

As per pads I have ordered the Pagid RS 29 (yellow). They are a track pad. I am used to them on my 911 RSR and I find them quite good. I am opened to suggestions though.

Thanks for chiming in.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Hey boss

yes, I ordered the kit via Roush Technologies. They are great at looking after the car for me and I thought it was fair that way.

As per pads I have ordered the Pagid RS 29 (yellow). They are a track pad. I am used to them on my 911 RSR and I find them quite good. I am opened to suggestions though.

Thanks for chiming in.

Pagid is a great pad and is actually the pad I would have recommended! Excellent choice!!!

Yea, the guys at Roush Technologies are great guys and seem to take great care of their customer's. I have had quite a few conversations with the David's.

Let us know how you like the brakes when you get them. If you're looking for a little more rear bias we have a new rear big brake kit which moves the bias about 2% to the rear. If you decide to do this I would recommend cross-drilled and slotted rotors on front with slotted rotors on the rear. It won't match aesthetically however the cross-drilled and slotted will bite a little harder than the slotted only which will make the adjusted braking bias easier to handle.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Right now I have ordered the front 6 piston caliper with slotted rotors and just the rears 2 piece slotted rotor s to fit over stock calipers.

I will certainly report back with feedback after the next trackdays... just missed one yesterday... the financial mkt trouble had me anchored and my seat... :frown

David Jones @ Roush is a top bloke.