Top off....or on?

Thanks D.B.K. for the Knights Autoworks introduction in the general discussion forum; thank you Shelby #18, for pursuing and sponsoring development of a stow-able soft top for your cars as well as for the benefit of other X1 owners. Thanks also to Shadowman, with whom many late evening talks contributed to the effectiveness of the soft top, and lots of work actually, thank you Bill. (Does he ever sleep?) Thanks also to Rich and Dennis, the GT guys in Detroit, for reviewing the prototype and doing one of the first field installs of the production top. Sometimes prototypes don’t do what they are supposed to, this one didn’t. Thanks for being patient.

It pays to be in good company and these guys are some of the most professional people I’ve worked with, my hats off gentlemen.

Now that being said, THERE IS A STOW-ABLE SOFT TOP FOR THE GTX1 READY TO ORDER! We’ve produced several and worked out the difficult challenges left by the conversion of the car. I know Kip is just finishing a very nice hard top and is acquainted with these difficulties, each car is different. The soft top front bow is removable so our top will work with any professionally built top we are aware of, so don’t feel bad if you want to order both.

I don’t like when people charge as much as they think they can get from me, so we’re not doing that. Rick ask me some time ago to bring it in under $7500, we beat that by a thousand, $6500 for a soft top. Also we can afford some savings if we run parts in sets. Therefore I present a pool option, order five soft tops cumulatively, save a thousand bucks each! (5 for $5500 each). Order ten soft tops cumulatively, save 1500 bucks each! (10 for 5000 each). Just a thought. I’ll offer it until Dec 24th and post the order results on this forum. If you want us to produce it immediately the sale price will be $5000 U.S. If we don’t make the quota, send the difference. That’s as fair a deal as I know how to make. Installation can be done in one day at any of the shops I mentioned at the beginning of this post, the install fee should be under $1000 but it’s up to them. Use caution if you go anywhere else for installation. Links for those shops and more are on our site www.knightsautoworks.wordpress.com as well as pictures and details of the soft top.

We set out to make a really good top, for a fair price. We have. Enjoy.

Thank you.

Pictures, coming right up!

Aug 25, 2006
You are slipping; no picture after nearly 12 hours.......

Let me begin by sharing that IMO the canvass top is a wonderful must have addition for “all” GTX-1’s. Now I say this not because I think that the roadsters need to be sealed up but rather because there will be a time that you want to seal her up. Maybe a wonderful summer’s day drive is underway and then as the sun falls so do the temps and the idea of some heat would be welcomed or maybe midway through a nice summer’s day drive the idea of some air conditioning would be welcomed or maybe the canvass top would be used for peace of mind because you could park her for a period of time during which you want to close and lock her doors and certainly the canvass top could be used to protect you and her during an unexpected rain shower; the bottom line is the canvass top is simply the GTX-1’s missing link that will afford one to use her during all conditions.

Steve was kind enough to share that I spent time on this project; in fact much however what he did not share is that the project spanned the course of over a year in fact likely closer to two years with numerous systems created and tested before the canvass top in its final presentation was decided upon.

The goal was to create a reasonably priced top that was easy to install and remove and most importantly it had to be created in such a manner that the pieces once removed could be tucked within the gal thus creating a top that could be or not be used at a moment’s notice. Now having shared this, the canvass top project was and remains Steve aka White Knight’s with me simply being asked and allowed to be a part of the process.

Now having shared this I must also make clear my feelings about the removable hardtop as created by our friend Kip. There is no doubt that they are both different as apples and oranges and yet IMO they play well together. The canvass top is a decide as you go top meaning you put it on take it off and either option can be decided upon and accomplished in a moment’s notice and even more importantly these decisions can be made no matter where you are. The canvass top was a combination of form and function with function IMO carrying the greatest weight whereas the hardtop also being a combination of form and function it however IMO has form carrying the greatest weight because the hardtop transforms; the key word being transforms the gal into an “extremely cool” sleek looking GTX-1 coupe however because of the hardtops design spontaneity will not be the word of the day very simply because there is no place to store the hardtop within the gal as such one will have to decide in advance whether it is to be a open driving aka roadster day or a closed driving aka coupe day and should you be traveling afar the likelihood of such an option would be slim at best because the top would either need to be affixed to the gal or if removed shipped to your next stopping point.

It is because of this that IMO having both tops creates the best of all worlds; a sleek sexy GTX-1 roadster with a easy to use and store on the fly so to speak canvass top that affords one the opportunity to quickly adapt/change based on ones desire or need at that moment or a removable hardtop that completely transforms her into an extremely cool sleek looking GTX-1 coupe.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Shadowman, he is not slipping. Just having issues with getting the photo's to post. He sent me a couple to post, but I couldn't even open them. And yes, last month is the two year anniversary since Steve, and I started talking seriously about the soft top.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey, ShadowMan, have you been taking writing lessons from IndyGT? What's with the long post?

I agree, let's see some pictures.

Aug 25, 2006
Hey, ShadowMan, have you been taking writing lessons from IndyGT? What's with the long post?

I agree, let's see some pictures.

It is always nice to hear from you

Now as for my post and the pictures from Steve aka White Knight; darn ... I thought that I cut myself short and then with regards to the pictures; I was told a short time ago that there were some uploading issues that are being tended to.

All the best

Shadowman

Wow, has it really been two years... and twelve hours since I wanted to post pictures of the soft top on the forum! Unreal...here are a few.

Some early "drawing board" work

Originaldesign.jpg

bar_system_rear-window.jpg

The prototype car in canvass
gtrview.jpg

Top View (prototype)

Overheadview.jpg

Rear angle (prototype)

Close-upofseal.jpg

This one was kind of important.:bored......(!)

Backwindowreservoir.jpg

Production car: Strike the mainsail! Canvas off and rolled up in a few moments.

Howitseals.jpg

Here she is unveiled.

The support bars are easily removed and stored in the car.

Withoutthecanvas.jpg

Rear hardware with glass window in place. If weather is threatening you leave it like this, in case of impending doom you quickly slide the support bars in place and install the canvas. Or if it's a beautiful day you can remove the four thumb screws and stash the whole assembly behind the seats!

canvas.jpg

It may sound big...but it's not.

pieces.jpg

I kinda got side-tracked one day...it paid off...this time.

Interiorlights.jpg

Hope you like it. Visit our sight (blog) for more pictures.
www.knightsautoworks.wordpress.com
Thank you.

Last edited:

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Very cool!

We need a picture of one in a down pour. Post it if any of you have one.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Steve, you mean without the top on? Look for pictures from Rally III, the trip from Scottsdale to Vegas. We encountered quite a bit of rain en route and there are some pics of the Chicago boys in tungsten with their heads sticking out. If you can't find them, let me know.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Make one for murcie roadster?

That is real nice!

Aug 25, 2006
That is real nice!

It is and is easy to install and remove.

So I have to ask; have you gone through the process of installing the OEM top on your Mucielago LP 640 Roadster yet?

Takes care

Shadowman

GForce

Making the GTX1 top was hard enough!!

Lambo boys... always looking for more.:biggrin

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thank you Steve. This is a great gesture and very much in keeping with the economic times and Holiday spirit. I will commit to 1 top and possibly 2 if needed for the group to reach one of the quantity price breaks by 12/24. Merry Christmas. :cheers

Kirby, Nice to hear from you! That's great. At this moment, two other commitments have been made, and a third is deciding. These two cars are together so I'll be doing the installs in Southern Cal. We'll be able to install tops on any other cars in the area while I'm there. They are one and two. Three is undecided. You are four and maybe five, on our way to ten. Thank you Kirby! PS I wasn't able to reach all the GTX1 owners out there so Spread the word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, times up. (Actually I should have posted two weeks ago) It's a total of four tops this run. We've decided to give the target price as though we did five. The fifth top is available at the same price. First come first serve. Thank you everyone. I'm greatful for all the inquries. Perhaps we should run another set shortly, I know some didn't have time enough to decide. For those that did...it must be quite a relief, it looks like it might... rain:) Thanks guys.

malibu

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2006
Malibu California
Hello Everybody,
Steve flew out to Newport Beach over the weekend and installed my new soft top. Not only does it look great, it actually works perfect and easy to take on and off. I drove it to Palm Springs. It was a real pleasure. Hardly any wind noise. If you are consdering a soft top, have no concerns about this one...
Jeff aka
Malibu

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you for the update and shared experience

All the best

Shadowman

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Wait a second? A convertible/softtop or no top is still an option on the GT's?? I thought I read where they were not making these or no one was doing this anymore.

Living in San Diego and being 6'6" there is an argument for taking the top off? How much? Any pictures? Any Heritages done?

Mike

Aug 25, 2006
Wait a second? A convertible/softtop or no top is still an option on the GT's?? I thought I read where they were not making these or no one was doing this anymore.

Living in San Diego and being 6'6" there is an argument for taking the top off? How much? Any pictures? Any Heritages done?

Mike

Mike I waiting expecting another to reply however since your question remains unanswered I share the following;

First of all the GTX-1 conversion is not being done anymore however there has been talk of a similar (sorry Kip) project commencing by a forum sponsor Kip. Now as for the rag top that was just installed; these were completed independent of the original builder of these gals so as to make them much more user friendly through a variety of weather conditions. Steve aka White Knight and I worked on this project for well over a year and the results are were as shared; a wonderful rag top for the GTX-1 that allows for driving in the rain, during the heat of the day with the a/c blowing, as well as simply parking her with a modest amount of security having a top in place.

This product is IMO a must have for all GTX-1 owners; even those having the extremely cool removable hardtop as created by Forum sponsor Kip.

All the best

Shadowman

Last edited: