tic tic

mike becks

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2006
Dania
Every time I start my GT it has to warm up a bit before the tic tic goes away.It has alway performed this way.At first I thought possible belt noise then the GT Guies tuned it and modified it ,still when cold tic tic. I thought maybe hyd. lifter . I have changed the oil and filter.It runs like 10 mofo`s .any suggestions.Thanks Mike. ............Hey Stormcat I just got in .I`ll call ya in a bit after I`m done with a bit of a gonk.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Does the ticking vary with idle speed - ie faster ticking when rev engine lightly?

If so: I had a smaller pulley installed, and at one point, I had a similar sound. It went away after 5-10 minutes. Turned out it was a little slack in the supercharger belt due to the smaller pulley causing slight belt slippage. When warm, the belt warms up, and the sound would stop.

We put a new s/c belt on, and it went away.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yep, I had the same thing. It is always more noticeable in the winter when the belt is COLD. You can get a new belt but honestly... I'd just buy a louder exhaust!!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Belt. Try to watch the belt seam through the rear window or while standing outside. Should correspond to your ticking noise.

H

HHGT

Initially I thought it was my heart beating in anticipation of the upcoming adrenaline rush.:biggrin:biggrin

Some claim it is the manufacturer paint stamp on the belt. It goes away when it warms up.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I think if you have a smaller pulley installed, that there just may be a bit more slack in the belt. It doesn't happen to everyone. A new belt resolved my issues. Of course, a louder exhaust as Fubar recommended, will do the same in a more fun way.

mike becks

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2006
Dania
I have the smaller pulley and a Borla,yea maybe I`ll try the new belt and a louder exhaust.Yea sure I will!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the imput.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Smaller pulley and Borla - my setup. Very nice.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
My experience may not appy, of course, but my noise turned out to be cracks in the seams of the Borla. Sure didn't sound like an exhaust leak. Sounded more like a belt squeak. Tracked it down with my ears, then saw the crack easily. Ended up rewelding every external seam. No more noise....except the good stuff.

Howard

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
My Borla was poorly welded also.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
my TT Heritage does the same thing... no belt... so ???

mike becks

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2006
Dania
Guyies it ticked befor can and pulley upgrade.I think it`s the belt.Like I said no noise when warm. Mike

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Guyies it ticked befor can and pulley upgrade.I think it`s the belt.Like I said no noise when warm. Mike

That was my diagnosis,, Belt ...:biggrin

tcm668

Oct 10, 2006
It could be lifters not being pumped up too. My R does it for a few minutes as the oil gets up to the lifer bores. Justa side effect of running the heavy oil, but since most are running synthetic, it drains down easily too...

In any event, been told it's nothing to worry about..

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
It could be lifters not being pumped up too. My R does it for a few minutes as the oil gets up to the lifer bores. Justa side effect of running the heavy oil, but since most are running synthetic, it drains down easily too...

In any event, been told it's nothing to worry about..

Lifters?? on a 4-cam DOHC engine?

mike becks

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2006
Dania
Thanks TCM.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
How about clicking fuel injectors, common on Vipers.

tcm668

Oct 10, 2006
Raphie,

Belive it or not, there are hyrdaulic lifters under the Cams. There are also rocker arms of sorts. The Cams do not directly contact the valves, but are driven thru a cam follower and lifter of sorts.

Not like an F-car or L-car where the cam lobes directly drive the valves.

On the Cobra R 5.4l engine (as well as the GT 5.4L I suspect). the part of the valve train originally came from a Dodge Neon 4cyl engine.

Ford really did grab parts from all over the place.

Im sure they are different from the original R engine, but I can't imagine how much .

I'll poke around and see if have some info on the cam geometry. There was a discussion by 4Cam and Boss330 on SvtP regarding the heritage of the Cobra R/ GT 5.4l engine, and what and where the parts originally came from.

In any event, Im told it is nothing to worry about. The early Terminator 4.6L engines had problems with cooling on the back sides of the heads, and had issues with head gaskets, but the 5.4L GT heads have enlarged cooling passages so it should not be an issue.

"Cut and Pasted from Bos330 Posting on SvtP...."

Lash adjusters YR3V 6C501 AA ZZ
(Forget getting these from Ford.. They don't exist. They however are under the valve covers of 3 million DOHC Dodge Neons. And.. the parts from Chrysler were updated around 2003 and are actually a better part than the oem Ford stuff."