Thoroughly Unremarkable.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Vents are starting to ship this week

I have sent PM's to all who are on the list for vents as they will start shipping this week:banana If anyone else wants to get on board time is running out.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
My old vents.

Gentlemen,

At the start of this thread I posted several photos of my new vents in place on my yellow GT. Before storing the originals in my used GT parts cabinet, I took a couple photos of them to show everybody what they're in for sooner or later. The original top vents are one piece injection molded plastic and have 3/4" metal screws threaded directly into six little plastic posts. These posts are very brittle and one of mine was broken off completely as shown in the photos below. Two other posts were cracked and close to breaking off. I have never touched or adjusted any of these vents since my car was brand-new. Both sets were severely bowed with the low points being those six posts that were bolted down to the rear clamshell. A combination of engine heat and sun exposure had bowed many of the vents into an odd combination of shapes. Both of my side vents had warped near the front section as well. My car only has 6900 miles on it and it is never outside unless I'm using it. I have observed hundreds of GTs at our Rallies and a huge percentage of them had the same problems.

Unless your car is an undriven museum piece, it's only a question of time until your vents fail. If you're anything like me, those warped vents will bug you every time you lay eyes on them. I just ordered a second set of Pe2unia's vents, both top and sides, to put away for that hoped-for future day when my business returns to normal and I can join the ranks of 2 GT owners!

I know I sound like a broken record, but if you plan on keeping your car for a long time, you're making a serious mistake if you don't take advantage of the opportunity to have these made for you while they're available.

Now, if Pe2unia could just come up with something to make me better looking. :ack

Chip

Attachments

• Vents 1.jpg
    Vents 1.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Vents 2.jpg
    Vents 2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 235
  • Vents 3.jpg
    Vents 3.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 240
  • Vents 4.jpg
    Vents 4.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Vents 5.jpg
    Vents 5.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 236

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I ditto Chip's comments. My car is carefully driven with around 5600mi - my 2 clamshell vents were warped and brittle. My 2 side vents were starting to warp as well. This is a great solution to a near universal problem.

I already bought all of them. Thanks !

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Chip you are a very good photographer but you really should get your hands in every picture like Shadowman does:rofl:rofl

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
what kind of camera do you have Chip?

Last edited:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
My top vents had deformed after about 5,000 miles. Upon replacement, one was found to have actually cracked into two pieces. The side vents are starting to show some minor deformation at just under 7,000 miles.

Pe2unia,
Money sent via PayPal.

Best Regards,
Waldo

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Canon Power.

What kind of camera do you have Chip?

Freddy,

Those shots were taken with a super compact Canon Power Shot A1100IS using the automatic setting.

Chip

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Shipping update!!!!

We have the first group of vents going out in the morning.:banana We are still waiting on well over half of the group to respond with payments so please be diligent and get this taken care of as these vents were made to order.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
vents are awesome and worth every cent...thanks again John & company :thumbsup

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Pe2unia,

My vents arrived today. They are works of art. Thanks for taking the lead on this project.

Best Regrds,
Waldo

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
Got my side vents today - look terrific. Thanks Pe2unia !!!!

I'll post after I install them and the uppers after magicman, I mean shadowman, performs his artistry on them :)

Great job, guys

Lightning

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 9, 2006
Hutchinson, Kansas
Recieved vents & they look great!
Thanks, Vince

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
sidevents & weight Q

Now you got me hooked as well. I never thought the sidevents needed changing. Has anyone experienced anything wrong with these?

Anyone compare the weight of the originals to the new aluminum ones?

:cheers
Anders

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i got my side vents the other day :biggrin they look just like the stock vents but they are better because they are made of aluminum alloy as opposed to plastic which will warp. Thanks Chip for letting us know about this solution :thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Side vent warping.

I never thought the sidevents needed changing. Has anyone experienced anything wrong with these?

Anders,

Your side vents will fail in time. Tons of us have had problems with them. Look at this photo of my side vents with 6900 miles on my car. Both sides had warped like this.

Chip

Attachments

• Side Vents.jpg
    Side Vents.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 150

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Well we have several vents shipped this week with more to go out next week but we are having trouble getting in touch with these members listed below that have committed to vents. If anyone knows how to contact these members other than with PM's please let them know that their vents are ready to ship. I really don't want to get stuck with seven sets of vents nor do I have the funds to buy seven more GT's :rofl:rofl:rofl

jrader1
ATM empty
gtaustin
andy (Two sets)
Doctorv8
fordgt6

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
update

All of the vents have gone out now for those who had paid for them and our machinist would like to thank everyone for supporting his work during these trying times. A HUGE thank you to Chip for making everyone aware of the quality of his work and how to solve an inevitable problem for all involved. I do have seven sets of vents that were not claimed so being that I committed on a set amount to our machinist I did purchase them so if you know of anyone who would like a set please let me know. Enjoy the vents and I will see everyone at the Rally:banana

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Opened mine today. Very nice John. Thx!

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
got mine yesterday, not on the car yet but after close inspection i am really impressed with the quality. These are precision pieces and look better than the originals.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
very nice!! Got mine ,Thank you and happy bday!!!!