Thinking about exports

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
At the track day over the weekend, we met two soon to be European forum members that exported cars - one to Germany and one to Spain. Made me wonder how many cars have been exported.

We had the 277 to Canada, and the 101 to Europe. I also recall when we did the Rally I tour there was talk of the last 10 (?) GTs being black - I was under the impression that they were going to Shelby, but I would guess they are the ones that went to Roush in England (one of which we know was totaled)?

We also know there are cars in Monaco, Dubai, Russia, and other places. Some of those were know were not part of the 101.

I wonder if Ford would have a list (since they need to be able to contact for recalls) that would indicate how many cars have left the country.

4038 cars worldwide - I bet over time a good 1000 will be out of the US.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
When the car first was released I went to several local So Cal dealers trying to work a deal. I was told more than once that the car I was looking at was no longer for sale and was just waiting for export to Japan.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
It would be interesting to know how many left the US. Canada, for example received 277.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
For some reason I thought that Canada was very specific about not being allowed to import any of the cars. That was the reason for the 100 cars built specifically for there.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
The gov was very specific about bringing these cars in and still is. Both years are prohibited from being imported into the country.

The first run in the spring of '06 was 100 cars and the second wave in Sept '06 was for an additional 177.

The Sept run was a win win for Ford and their Canadian customers since cars built after Aug 30 could not be sold in the US and the demand for these cars in Canada far exceeded the original 100 unit allocation.

Last edited:

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Following up what Not 4N posted,
Originally, no cars were going to be shipped to Canada. The marketing people pushed and the powers that be relented.:thumbsup

fordcapri

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2006
Well, there was 101 official ones that went to Europe, and out of that the UK had 28, and the second biggest allocation I believe went to Switzerland.

I estimate there is probably in the region of 50 other ones that have been imported to the UK from America. Besides the UK I would put my money on the next biggest importer as already stated by another member is Japan.

When I bought my car, my details were passed on to Ford of America, but I have never received any acknowledgement from them about the car and I would imagine they wouldn't be very forthcoming to supply anybody with information about how many cars have left America.

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
19 have been allocated for Germany from the official 101 which went to Europe. Matech bought 5 from the US to convert them into GT3 racing cars. I guess Geiger cars in Munich sold up to 40-50 GT's in Germany and Europe so far, importet from the US.

When I check 'mobile.de' or 'autoscout24.de' there are still around 30 US GT's for sale (partly already in Germany, others still in the US). So I guess in Germany, we would have around 19+80 GT's (one white/blue was totaled as far as I know last year)

Desi

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
At the 05 S.E.M.A. show, one of my pals at Ford Racing introduced me to a guy from Sweden. Seems he had bought a new GT in Switzerland, and was planning to drive it back home. In REAL broken English, :willy He wanted to know how much luggage he could get in the car for his return trip. When "buy what you need on the road, then discard" didn't work, a big 0 with my fingers did the trick.

:thumbsup

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
At the first rally I met a guy from Spain that had bought 8 cars to ship to Spain for the grey market. He was also talking about buying more.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
I'm sure someone out there knows how the exported cars were unique from the states cars. Lighting, reflectors, emission controls, speedo & odo?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
At the first rally I met a guy from Spain that had bought 8 cars to ship to Spain for the grey market. He was also talking about buying more.

That's right. Probably most of the Spanish cars in one spot.

Matech bought 5 from the US to convert them into GT3 racing cars. I guess Geiger cars in Munich sold up to 40-50 GT's in Germany and Europe so far, imported from the US.

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I'm sure someone out there knows how the exported cars were unique from the states cars. Lighting, reflectors, emission controls, speedo & odo?

Yep. Both the European and Canadian cars have specific requirements. Those differences have been specified in the threads.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Add at least 3 to Australia based on the other thread about the RHD conversions.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
3000 to 3200.....

......Is my guesstimate of the total number of Ford GTs still in the United States. 4038 cars built -277 (Canada) -101 (Europe) = 3660. A couple dozen cars have been cut up to construct racecars. Several hundred have been totaled and not reconstructed. Several hundred have been shipped out of the country to destinations all over the world. I know in Great Britain there are far more GTs that were purchased from US dealerships and shipped over than there are GTs that Ford shipped to British dealers. And for the next several years Asian, European, and Middle Eastern buyers will continue to drain the US GT swamp. I would not be a bit surprised if the number of GTs in the United States today is less than 3000.

Chip

Last edited:

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
US Dollar

I think whatever the number is now...add a sizeable increase to it based on how the US Dollar is depreciating relative to every other global currency.

Some simple math. Say in Jan 06 you wanted to buy a car at MSRP of $165k (or 135kEUR at 1.2 EUR/USD) well today with EUR/USD at 1.46 135k EUR is 192k USD. Point is...you're buying it 20% cheaper than you could before if you pay 165k now or you can pay 192k USD today and its the same price in EUR as before...considering the rarity of these cars abroad and lack of sellers, probably makes good sense to be paying more in US and importing for a car you want. :biggrin

stanglover

Feb 8, 2008
Add at least 3 to Australia based on the other thread about the RHD conversions.

I believe there are 5 cars in Australia at present...

Ford Australia (or Ford Performance Vehicles, or Tickford or whoever) imported one (red) car two or three years ago which was basically only used for display purposes. Perhaps they were initially looking at converting them, but given the disaster they had with the Mustang project earlier this decade they were probably 'once bitten, twice shy'.

The other cars consist of the black one which has been converted to RHD, the two currently being done (red, tungsten) and another white one.

Alex911

FORD GT OWNER - FROM RUSSIA TT FGT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Moscow, Russia
1 more car has officially left U.S. territory on Monday in a nice green container and is heading towards Helsinki where I will pick it up and bring it to Moscow :)

3-4 more cars will be bougth and exported in to Russia before summer.

stanglover

Feb 8, 2008
Apparently there are also 4 currently in NZ...

Quickdraw

pit crew chief
Dec 28, 2006
Not to say where they went after they left the factory but the 4,038 GTs as built:

3596 were built for the US market
.276 were built for the Canadian market
.166 were built for Export