Think my Whipple broke:( I rolled on the gas and it made an aweful grinding noise

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
the Whipple was originally designed for High performance boat motors which don't see that kind of mileage or the HIGH boost or HIGH rpm's that we run on cars as offshore powerboats and muscle boats have BIG blocks. i think this is what the problem is. i have a mere 2.3L Whipple on my 503 CI BIG Block Chevy Muscle boat motor and have never had a problem as it only takes 7 lbs of boost to make a engine dyno verifed 690 HP and 790 TQ at the crank. this is accomplished at a mere 5600 rpm's too....

Hmmm,

Maybe I am reading your post incorrectly.

Performance boat motors are subjected to enormously more stress that automotive motors. That is why even top dollar automotive builds implode so quickly when dropped into a boat.

If you feel this is an RPM dependent issue, then that is a valid argument. No car is driven up a 45 degree incline at 3/4- full throttle, non-stop. That is what a boat motor is faced with.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Hmmm,

Maybe I am reading your post incorrectly.

Performance boat motors are subjected to enormously more stress that automotive motors. That is why even top dollar automotive builds implode so quickly when dropped into a boat.

If you feel this is an RPM dependent issue, then that is a valid argument. No car is driven up a 45 degree incline at 3/4- full throttle, non-stop. That is what a boat motor is faced with.

that would be a yes as you do not have an understanding of what i am talking about as it pertains to a supercharger utilized in a marine application versus automotive application. read this link here with pix of a 3.4L whipple failure on a Cobra and tell me what you think > http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/793468-broke-my-3-4l-whipple-pics.html

here is a quote from the link too >

FINALLY!!! I have word from Whipple and this is the e-mail they sent me:

Chris,
They just rolled the paperwork back up to me yesterday afternoon. We are not able to tell for sure what happened to cause the rotor shaft to break. It is too far gone. The kit is a year and 4 months out of warranty at this time but because we can not tell for sure the cause, Art Whipple said to prorate the warranty and charge only $1000. With the $1000, you get a brand new supercharger with a new 1 year warranty and we will rebuild and update the drive snout to our newest specs. The new unit will also be the updated version that we use in the high performance marine kits for offshore racing. It has a few features that are not needed in the automotive side as they do not run as hard as the marine racers do.

If you give me the OK, I can have it ready to ship back to you tomorrow which, if shipped ground, will get there on the 7th of September.

Mike Malicoat
Whipple Superchargers
Ph. 559-442-1261
Fax. 559-442-4153

Im am very happy to hear this and thankful they are helping me. I think this is going to be a better 3.4L Whipple. Im excited to get it back!! I just ported my lower intake this past weekend so im excited to put that back on aswell. Time to hit the track

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and finally my friend sittin in the back seat of this 40 foot skater cat is one of the mechanics for this boat. this boat runs two 632 CI BIG BLOCK Chevy motors with Whipple Superchargers. they don't have to run more than 14 pounds of boost each to make 1500 HP per motor. this boat goes 180+ mph and they have broken countless drives but have never had a Whipple Supercharger fail them > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGt0L_eIvXA

here is the vid of them hittin 180 mph at a 1 mile top speed shootout in 2011 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-CAZa9MQd8

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I read the thread but no conclusions have been made as to the cause, so I am unsure to what I am supposed to be enlightened.

I have been building my own offshore boat motors for over 20 years, I was questioning your implication that the Whipple was engineered for less demanding boat applications. Do you feel your friend with the huge power, cubic inch Skater puts more or less stress on his Whipple than an automotive application? I wager his motors see much more stress from non stop load and the continual beating.

Now if you are saying his live because of less RPM or boost, I could agree with that, otherwise, his application would make the point that the design can live under the harshest possible usage (if his blower is the same design).

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
2112 - the reply from whipple in the post i made above says it all. they upgraded his broken automotive supercharger to marine specs....

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I don't know if my new 3.4 Whipple sent me was the marine one, but I know one thing. I made more power!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
2112 - the reply from whipple in the post i made above says it all. they upgraded his broken automotive supercharger to marine specs....

I think we are saying the same thing :cheers

I misunderstood your earlier comment.

Hope they can take care of you in a similar manner.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Freddy

Side note. The 110 Shell you mention has been produced and sold out immediately. The partner in my car works for Shell Headquarters and has their blender looking for us a barrell with NO luck. On monday he is having meetings with those involved in this product to find out their future plans. Hopefully to up production. Sorry for the Hi-Jack.

Larry Boatner

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I have a 55 gal drum of it in the garage.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Freddy

Side note. The 110 Shell you mention has been produced and sold out immediately. The partner in my car works for Shell Headquarters and has their blender looking for us a barrell with NO luck. On monday he is having meetings with those involved in this product to find out their future plans. Hopefully to up production. Sorry for the Hi-Jack.

Larry Boatner

this is why you get a tune for more than one octane rating. a tune for 91, 100 and 110 would be the way to go for me....

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I have a 55 gal drum of it in the garage.

i am looking forward to getting some new tunes from you again in the future :thumbsup

Cooltech will be doing my work once again :cool

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
i am looking forward to getting some new tunes from you again in the future :thumbsup

Cooltech will be doing my work once again :cool

Ready when needed!