THE Tire Thread

What Combo Do You Use?

• Total voters

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Hey Steve, they actually stepped down aspect ratio to maintain OEM-like diameters. The OEM front is a 235/45-18 with a diameter of 26.33". If you go with the Bridgestones you can get either a 255/40-18 with a diameter of 26.03, or you can get a 265/40-18 with a diameter of 26.35" So, you are correct in that the 255 are smaller, but the 265's actually are much closer to the OEM Goodyear diameter (.02" difference).

Thanks for the reply Kendal. The concern I had was due to my having changed the wheels to 19's front and 20's rear. I'm running PSII's, the rears at 335 30 20's are about 8% smaller than OEM as I understand. So a taller tire than OEM in the front (even though slight) didn't seem like the right way to go.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I wonder about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2 in the run flat option which can be had as 275/35ZR18 and 325/30ZR19 (according to Tire Rack). Have to look back at this thread and see how these dimensions would affect the ride height, odometer readings, etc. But this is a possibility, and although I am not crazy about run flats, they are potentially good tires for everyday driving and safety.

Last edited:

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Front tire dia using the 275 rather than OEM would change from 26.327 to 25.579. When actual speed is 65 mph the odometer will read 66.901 mph. Ground clearance -0.374 inches.
Rear tire dia using the 325 rather than OEM would change from 28.921 to 26.677. When actual speed is 65 mph the odometer will read 70.468. Ground clearance -1.122 inches. Probably be better for the rears to have an aspect ration of 35 rather than 30.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I wonder about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2 in the run flat option which can be had as 275/35ZR18 and 325/30ZR19 (according to Tire Rack). Have to look back at this thread and see how these dimensions would affect the ride height, odometer readings, etc. But this is a possibility, and although I am not crazy about run flats, they are potentially good tires for everyday driving and safety.

I don't know if this is valid for our GTs but as far as Vipers go, the term runflat is a dirty word. Vipers came stock with Michelin runflats and the general consensus is they were dangerous under all driving .conditions

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I don't know if this is valid for our GTs but as far as Vipers go, the term runflat is a dirty word. Vipers came stock with Michelin runflats and the general consensus is they were dangerous under all driving .conditions

+1 Run Flats just are not there yet.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Thanks Ralphie

I'm due for new rears. Down to 3/32".

I called my Ford dealer late last Wednesday. Expecting a NLA answer.:frown

Spoke with Brian at Bowen Scarff Friday, and my two new Goodyears came in!

24 hour delivery from the Goodyear warehouse. :cheers

Scheduled to be on my GT on Tuesday.:biggrin

So I'm good to go for another 12,000 miles. Which will put me just shy of 100,000 GT miles.

:beer2::beer2::beer2:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Spoke with Brian at Bowen Scarff Friday, and my two new Goodyears came in!

24 hour delivery from the Goodyear warehouse. :cheers

Please let us know what the date codes are for these tires.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Is there any advantage to using the Goodyears?

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas

Seems that it would really just be maintaining the stock look. Other than that, they are slightly taller than the Bridgestones, and will give correct speedometer and odometer readings.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
You can reprogram the speedometer with a SCT tuner.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
You can reprogram the speedometer with a SCT tuner.

Depends on the options programed into the SCT. The tuner has the option of allowing some user modifications, tire size is one of them.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

darn good rain tire. And it's good for 200 mph+.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Depends on the options programed into the SCT. The tuner has the option of allowing some user modifications, tire size is one of them.

I think I paid $100.00 to MMP for this option loaded into my SCT.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Please let us know what the date codes are for these tires.

02-06

---same dated code that was on my GT at time of delivery 3/06!

btw these came from the Ford parts system, not from the Goodyear warehouse system.

btw#2 - dealer parts locator found about 60 rears in stock at various Ford dealers in the US. One, in Texas, had something like 22 in stock.

btw#3- the price was just about exactly twice what I paid for the first replace set in 2006. Current Ford list is $622.25 each. OUCH!

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
And if you are thinking getting Bridgetones will update your car with fresh rubber, be careful. I have replaced Goodyears on both my 05 and 06. Fortunately, my installer pays attention-- one of the Bridgestones had an 03 date on it making it older than the OE tire I was replacing. He sent it back for a new tire. Always check the date codes.....

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I just got 4 Bridgestones from the tirerack. Fronts made in July 2010, rears in October 2010.

They were happy to check on that prior to shipping. It was my first tirerack purchase and was a very good experience.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
FYI on the Bridgestones:

Adam Kaempf of Bridgestone said:
Does Bridgestone make high performance DOT tires that can be used on race tracks (road courses)?

Mr. Monroe, The Potenza RE-11 is a popular track tire within the SCCA. This would probably be your best option if we have it in your size.

Thanks,
Adam Kaempf

Thank you for the response. Would your warranty still be honored if I used the tires on a road course?

From Adam Kaempf
Mr. Monroe, If the condition that causes removal is caused by the use on the track, then it would not be covered by the warranty. If there is something that is an obvious manufacturing issue, the dealer will probably work with you.

Thanks,
Adam Kaempf
Sales Engineering Manager - Consumer Products
Quality Division: Voice of the Customer
Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations

FYI on Hankook's
Nicholas Tufo of Hankook said:
Do you guys make a tire that you would recommend for a CTS-V, that can be used on the street and the track (road course)? It appears that track use voids the warranty on all of the Hankook tires I have looked at.

Mark, Thanks for the question. The Ventus RS3 Z222 will be the highest performing street tire offer by Hankook. It will offer excellent competition capabilities, yet retain on-road drivability.

Thank you for the reply Mr. Tofu. I bought the Hankook Ventus V12's for my 2009 CTS-V a few months ago. I have several cars that I like to take to the track. I was hoping that the Hankook tires would be a good, less expensive alternative to the Pilot Sport 2 that I typically use. I spent a few hours on the track with these V12s and was very impressed. A few weeks later I noticed that the V12 had substantial chunks missing from the center tread pattern. I just assumed this was an odd manufacturing issues that the company would stand behind. So I contacted "The Tire Rack" to arrange for an exchange. They insisted that I send in a tire for inspection, so I did. Based on their inspection, they told me the tire was used for racing and would not be covered. They noted that your warranty states "No off-road use," implying that the race track is "off-road."

If this is truly your company's warranty position, I will respect that and move on. If they have misinterpreted your warranty please let me know.

Mark,

Regretfully, their response seems very accurate. While the V12 evo is an excellent High Performance Summer tire, it will have limitations when exposed to a competition application (especially on a vehicle with a more substantial curb weight like your CTS-V).

The Z222 that I mention is still considered a street tire, but will hold up much better in a motorsports scenario. It has racing tire pedigree/features and is regularly used in Time Attack and Drifting competitions.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Tufo

A step-up from Bridgestone anyway. There are no current size offerings for the GT. I am just passing along the information.

Michelins says this in their warranty:"- Misapplication, improper maintenance, racing, underinflation, overinflation or other abuse;" Which leaves a lot of wiggle room for them to tell you to take a hike. They have not responded to my inquiries.

I would disclose the conversation I had with the folk at The Tire Rack but it would likely offend women and children (and Empty Pockets). I know it's strange that I thought "Maximum Performance Tire" would mean, maximum performance tire but I did... I guess I'm just gullible. Sorry to interrupt the tire date conversation... proceed.

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Having considered a multitude of options over several weeks, I have settled on Bridgestone tires as replacements for the overpriced, poor handling, noisy, low grip, OEM Goodyears.

My choices were:
Front RE050A 255/40-18
Rear RE050A Scuderia 345/35-19​
Rationale:

1. With diameter reductions of 0.30" front and 0.41" rear, these sizes are wider yet very close in diameter to OEM, and match up well to one another.
  2. Front and rear tires are (Y) speed rated at 186+ mph. Unbracketed Y rated (i.e. Pole Position) are speed rated for a maximum of 186 mph
  3. Front and rear tires are compound matched 140 A A (not as sticky as the Pole Position's 280 AA A rating, but 1 lb. lighter)
  4. Although the front tires are 2 lb heavier than OEM Goodyears (28 vs. 26), I rationalized this based upon the tread depth differential - 11/32" vs. 6/32" or 8/32" for OEM (conflicting data). 2 lb. is a ton in terms of rotating mass / centrifical force but this is one compromise I had to accept. There is no perfect tire for the GT and I shouldn't be too worried about increased stopping distance or turn-in since my car is highly unlikely to ever see a race track. I'm surprised that others haven't expressed concern over the weight differential. I recall when the FRPP rotors were first introduced, many owners jumped all over them simply because they were 2 lb. lighter than OEM. To emphasize the point, think of the centrifical force generated by swinging a 2 lb. weight on a 6" string (the simulated effect of a heavier brake rotor) vs. swinging a 2 lb. weight on a 14" string (the simulated effect of a heavier tire). Accordingly, one should be far more concerned about a 2 lb. increase in tire weight vs. a 2 lb. decrease in rotor (hat) weight.
I purchased the tires from Tire Rack whose well trained sales staff demonstrated patience and a willingness to work through all the fine points with me.

Thanks also to everyone that contributed to the thread. I read each and every post which was of great assistance.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think you'll be very happy with the Bridgestones. I have been. Now if I can just keep them from flatspotting during this grueling winter.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I think you'll be very happy with the Bridgestones. I have been. Now if I can just keep them from flatspotting during this grueling winter.

Do Bridgestones flatspot easier than the GYs? I haven't seen this as an issue with the GY tires.