The news we'd all LIKE to hear from Ford...

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
As much as the recent announcement was welcomed, it wasn't really news; perhaps just confirmation... 4 Years, 250 cars per year and a total run of 1000 has been out for some time now...

How about Ford announce an 8 - 10 year run of production cars and, with some optimization that must surely come, ramp up production at Multimatic to 300 cars per year! Wouldn't that be great news!!! Say sometime in December... THAT would be news!!!

Ford must know now that there is a large contingent of frustrated / pent-up demand... Where they happy with ~6600 qualified applicants? Why walk away from that?

Not just 4 years of selling the most sought after American sports car, perhaps ever, but 8 or 10 or more?

Dodge have done a lot wrong marketing their Viper but when they had loyalty programs, it ensured all loyal owners who wanted a car, got a car. Ford have 3 to 6000 of the most affluent and ardent Ford fanatics in the world clamoring for a NFGT. It's money Ford are leaving on the table... Some have already gone out and bought competitor's cars... In my own case, I'm not going to go buy 20 Fusions or 8 GT350R's.

Does an additional run cheapen the value of the first 1000? I don't think so... Look at the value still in our 05 and 06's.

Just a thought Ford from one of the disappointed yet hopeful "deferred"...

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Only problem is it might financially not make sense for Ford to keep making it.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ford is taking a big risk by extending production to even four years. The economy can go upside down, consumer preferences can change, etc. I think 1000 cars at this price point is about right. With 1000 cars, if you're serious about getting one they will be available. I would hate to see Ford have a bad experience with this car as it would certainly adversely affect future special projects. A lot of people stick their necks out to make a car like this.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Ford is taking a big risk by extending production to even four years. The economy can go upside down, consumer preferences can change, etc. I think 1000 cars at this price point is about right. With 1000 cars, if you're serious about getting one they will be available. I would hate to see Ford have a bad experience with this car as it would certainly adversely affect future special projects. A lot of people stick their necks out to make a car like this.

What he said!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
In four years there may be a new GT if Ford keeps racing.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I believe all auto manufacturers update or redesign after 4-5 years to keep in compliance with the changing Federal safety & emission standards. They also change or replace models to keep pace with technology & car culture. The '05-06 GT was only a 2 year run so having a specialized car such as the NGT go 4 years is very amazing.

Ed

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO

I couldn't be more serious about wanting one. And at the moment, my only avenue is compete with about 6000 (ok, 5999 without naming names) other highly qualified individuals for one of 250 cars in 2020+ (i.e. year 4 of actual production or later). If nothing changes, I'm guessing the very few cars that become available after the lockout period will be priced in 7 figures.

Certainly valid points raised...

I can but hope...

2fast4u

FORD GT OWNER
Feb 9, 2006
MA and GA
Im with JOE.. I still want one but i am DEFERRED.. not waiting .. DEFERRED.. I was ready to cut a 250k check so they can hold my spot .. Even with another 500 being made the odds are under 10% .. Not a good bet... It is what it is.. I will have to be happy with my 05, which i am .. It needs its new brother in the garage next to it.... I had vipers maybe i will have to settle for another one in 2017 .. Its really not a bad substitute .. track records and all..

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I don't even think Toyota would commit to 8-10 years of the Camry.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I don't even think Toyota would commit to 8-10 years of the Camry.

Thanks goodness for that. LOL

Ed

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
Three years from now ford knows the list of buyers for a nearly 4 year old car design will be smaller than the initial demand. Its that simple. When the 05s came out, mortals couldn't get even close to one. One of my friends paid dearly for an early one, with no regrets, and knowing in time prices would come down. He didn't want or need to wait. In under one year that massive pool of buyers evaporated, and 06s could be bought at discounts. I highly doubt ford has forgotten that lesson.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
True. That's exactly what is so good about this. 1/4 the cars in the hands of enthusiasts, not speculators.

I'll bet there will be more sub 1K mi '05-06 GTs than '17-20 GTs in 2027.

Last edited:

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
QUOTE]Dodge have done a lot wrong marketing their Viper but when they had loyalty programs, it ensured all loyal owners who wanted a car, got a car. Ford have 3 to 6000 of the most affluent and ardent Ford fanatics in the world clamoring for a NFGT. It's money Ford are leaving on the table... Some have already gone out and bought competitor's cars.

Just a thought Ford from one of the disappointed yet hopeful "deferred"...[/QUOTE]

===================

http://www.autointell.net/News-2001/December-2001/December-2001-2/December-12-01-p6.htm

(article that describes how Dodge set up a certificate program for loyal original owners of Dodge Vipers to be first in line to buy the then-new Viper SRT10)

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Pretty good marketing if you ask me. Give the first 750 cars to present owners and other "deserving" owners. Keep the last 250 for future sales and marketing with anticipation that everyone still has a chance while keeping the car in the news.

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Over 4000 05-06 GT's over two years. 1000 NFGT's over 4 years. Big difference.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Both the '05-06 GT & the NGT showcase the technology that Ford can do. It shows the world what Ford can do with passion & determination. Yes, there are many physical differences: aluminum vs CF, V8 vs TTV6, 4000 vs 1000, etc. However, the similarities are many. An amazing group of people. An amazing company.

Ed

racer22

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2013
A few considerations for Ford when reviewing their plans to continue building the street version Ford GT after four years of production have been completed: Are we still committed to racing this car in year 5 and beyond considering we've dominated this class for the past four years? Racing is expensive, are we at the point of diminishing returns and do we pull out for the best financial interest of Ford? Will the rules and regulations change for this class and will our car comply, even if we prefer to continue racing? If we're not racing this car, do we continue production of the street version?
Basically, I'm throwing out the idea of Ford's Racing project possibly influencing decisions to continue or not continue production of the Ford GT after year four.
Maybe I think too much

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
No, I think your thinking right.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A few considerations for Ford when reviewing their plans to continue building the street version Ford GT after four years of production have been completed: Are we still committed to racing this car in year 5 and beyond considering we've dominated this class for the past four years? Racing is expensive, are we at the point of diminishing returns and do we pull out for the best financial interest of Ford? Will the rules and regulations change for this class and will our car comply, even if we prefer to continue racing? If we're not racing this car, do we continue production of the street version?
Basically, I'm throwing out the idea of Ford's Racing project possibly influencing decisions to continue or not continue production of the Ford GT after year four.
Maybe I think too much

Good points. Something else to consider is that Ford has already made it fairly clear that the GT nameplate is reserved for limited production, special project cars (i.e. very short production runs). Although the history of the commercial success of the NFGT has yet to be written, it seems Ford is well on its way to successfully creating from scratch a second supercar with GT40 DNA, something I find remarkable. The agility and resourcefulness demonstrated by Ford, a company clearly not focused on the supercar market, in making these stunning cars in 10 or so year intervals is unparalleled anywhere to my knowledge.

Ford has a very savvy strategy with the GT brand, and anything approaching serial production seems counter to that strategy. With a successful NFGT program, Ford will have firmly established itself as a company capable of producing world-beating supercars, not through a process of incremental improvement and refinement of a continuously produced car, but by a process of complete reinvention any time Ford desires. The creativity this fosters is obvious in the NFGT.

What previously might have been impossible from a production standpoint is now not only possible, but perhaps preferred, because of partners like Multimatic. I have no idea what GT version 4.0 will be like, but I'm excited and looking forward to it, exactly as Ford anticipated. Pure genius.

Last edited:

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 years of production and the new GT will be outdated, and hopefully a new version will be on it's way using the 2017 platform, but with an all new shape and perhaps hybrid technology.
Sign me up for a 3rd GT