The new old

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Pete what’s your thoughts on putting in 5 speed ?
There are kits to do it.

Reactions: roketman

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I have owned a series 1, 2 & 3. Kept the 3 because it’s the only one I fit in.

Attachments

• 04B03BE9-4B89-43C3-B1E1-384B82740EDA.jpeg
    04B03BE9-4B89-43C3-B1E1-384B82740EDA.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Congratulations Ron. Beautiful car. Don't forget to change your signature as it's missing a few cars.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Wow! What a beauty. One of my all time favorites. Congratulations.

Quite a restoration. Never seen the underside before. Pretty neat packaging of the essentials.

You need to check. I believe that you have another bucket somewhere.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have owned a series 1, 2 & 3. Kept the 3 because it’s the only one I fit in.
At 5ft4and a half I have no size issues!

Reactions: spartan and RPM217

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Wow! What a beauty. One of my all time favorites. Congratulations.

Quite a restoration. Never seen the underside before. Pretty neat packaging of the essentials.

You need to check. I believe that you have another bucket somewhere.
Hahaha

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Beautiful and in British Racing Green! Congratulations my Man! Designed like no other!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
By all means do so if you’re not a stickler for originality.

Advantages: you can use a much stronger unit than OE, you can get overdrive ratios, whereas the OE 4th was direct 1:1, which revs pretty high at highway speed. I don’t think overdrive units were available in Jags, although they were available options on other British cars. So a 5-speed makes a lot of sense. I took a quick look around the internet and it appears that several vendors offer bolt-on kit conversions using Tremec T-5 trannies and others. The shifter even ends up in the OE location. You’ll never wear out or break a Tremec with the Jag 3.8 engine. Others I know with E-types have said it’s a pretty popular upgrade.

Join the jag club and look at their info about the conversions.

Last edited:

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
congratulations! Every car collector needs an xke. I always say that my jag will be the last car I will sellIMG_0600.JPG

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

Advantages: you can use a much stronger unit than OE, you can get overdrive ratios, whereas the OE 4th was direct 1:1, which revs pretty high at highway speed. I don’t think overdrive units were available in Jags, although they were available options on other British cars. So a 5-speed makes a lot of sense. I took a quick look around the internet and it appears that several vendors offer bolt-on kit conversions using Tremec T-5 trannies and others. The shifter even ends up in the OE location. You’ll never wear out or break a Tremec with the Jag 3.8 engine. Others I know with E-types have said it’s a pretty popular upgrade.

Cool thanks! I’m gonna drive and see how it is before I make a decision. It actually has a 4.2 L motor in it.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
congratulations! Every car collector needs an xke. I always say that my jag will be the last car I will sellView attachment 66986
What year is your E Type and how long have you owned it?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

Pete,
I took your advice and joined the Jag club. I’m gonna look around for that five speed transmission. But I’m curious,in today’s world. Is it safe to call a transmission a tranny?

Reactions: PeteK and RPM217

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I planned on putting in a five-speed when I bought mine, but they don’t need it; four speeds are enough. The only question is what gearbox is in it now? It’s an early car so you should have the terrible Moss gearbox with no synchro on first but.....you say it’s got a 4.2 motor, so maybe they put in the matching all-synchro box with it? If it’s still the Moss then I’d say change it out - originality doesn’t matter because of all the other modifications on the car. If it’s the later box, drive it for a bit and you’ll probably find (like I did) that the four speed is just fine.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
What year is your E Type and how long have you owned it?
Mine is the last of the series two, a late 71. I think that when they stretched it into the v12, it lost a lot of its looks. I have had mine since about 1996, had always wanted one since I was 14. My across the street neighbor let me drive a freshly off lease xke in 1969, and as I was flying up an unopened interstate with my high school chum and the top down, that was it for me. Has only 31,000 original miles on it

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
The xkes really need five speeds or overdrive here in the states, as they changed the rear end ratio to give it more off the line (the later year dual stromberg carbs and reduced compression had to be compensated for. So although the later cars are really great off the line (of course no where near our Fords!!!! LOL) they have no top end without the rpms screaming.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I did a couple diffs and a tranny for a guy, 64 and 67 XKEs. He did a Tremec in one too. He brought in pics of one that's completed, purdy!!
jag.jpgjag1.jpg

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Pete,
I took your advice and joined the Jag club. I’m gonna look around for that five speed transmission. But I’m curious,in today’s world. Is it safe to call a transmission a tranny?
Better than “trans” I suppose. 🤔

Try these links:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

Try these links:

Thank you

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I planned on putting in a five-speed when I bought mine, but they don’t need it; four speeds are enough. The only question is what gearbox is in it now? It’s an early car so you should have the terrible Moss gearbox with no synchro on first but.....you say it’s got a 4.2 motor, so maybe they put in the matching all-synchro box with it? If it’s still the Moss then I’d say change it out - originality doesn’t matter because of all the other modifications on the car. If it’s the later box, drive it for a bit and you’ll probably find (like I did) that the four speed is just fine.
David
It a series 1 with a 4.2 with the Synchro gearbox. I’m going to take your advice and try it obviously with the four-speed.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

Try these links:

Pete
Any idea which is best?