The GT's Back From Rich! THANKS!

blown-v8

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Trailered up and dropped off my (now) 3,000 mile GT back on Dec 14th, and picked it up in the first few days of January. Been on the Mecum/Barrett auction tour the past few weeks and haven't had a chance to post any great words about a great guy that Rich Brooks truly is. I am surprised he didn't eventually push me out the door as I spent way too much time with a Ford friend up there just chatting GTs the day I dropped it off, and another few hours with a different Ford friend who wanted to ride along on the pick up. Took the tour of his facility (twice, lol) and got to see and hear a lot of crazy stories, cars, and the like.

He completed a number of repairs I had been putting off, including the air bag recall that Ford was harassing me on like daily (I think everyone knows he is now certified by Ford to do it?), complete change of every single fluid in the vehicle (purchased with 1K miles and only the oil had ever been changed), engine belt change (except a/c belt which is on some long term back order), replacement of some bushing covers that tend to crack on rear suspension, diagnosis of sudden inop of heat/ac and possibly related battery drain, cleaning all battery grounds, the addition of one of his spiffy rear clamshell releases, and a few other minor things. The heat/ac ended up being a module under the dash that had failed. Curiously, this also appears to have been the cause for the massive battery drain that started this past summer when the heat/ac went black/died as the car is now staying charged for weeks at a time instead of days. The module didn't come in from Ford in time before pick up so I ended up installing it once Rich shipped it to me which didn't end up being that all that big of a deal. While up there, he tested it with a known good (early/recall) module that was previously in Jay Leno's car (marked "J Leno" on it, lol), so clearly the value of my car went up :) Lastly he truly gave the car a full once over as part of the entire job, verifying VIN stickers, etc, etc, and without any additional costs.

All that being said, for anyone ever on the fence of who to use, trust, or go to for repairs, inspections, or any combination thereof for their Ford GT, there's just no question in my mind. He was more than fair on all the billing, sent me regular updates, texts with pictures and kept me apprised the entire 2-3 weeks or so it was up there. In my day-to-day world (real estate), referrals and people who you trust, and who trust you are what make the world go 'round and I can't recommend Rich enough. While I am only a state away, I'd ship my car across country just to let him and ONLY him work on it. Lastly thanks for the Ford GT Forum, otherwise I would have never learned about Rich and all the great things folks had to say about him.

Thought I would pass this on to anyone considering using him. Thanks Rich, you rule!
GT1.jpgGT2.jpg

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Rich is good people. Great car too!

Reactions: blown-v8

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Thanks for your post, the photos and all the good information about your car.

Most of us here know Rich is a great guy, he knows every square inch of our cars.

Not only completely capable but he has the highest integrity and is generous to a fault.

You did real good with your car, be safe and have much fun!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Said with humor.... DUH??!! Rich is fantastic!

Enjoy your car!!

CampoLady

GT Owner
May 25, 2018
He works on our GT. We recently had her serviced or normal maintenance items
along with Racing Exhaust. Can't wait until we save enough $$$ for a Cam & Whipple Upgrade.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
He is an excellent tech and a wonderful person too,

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
Trailered up and dropped off my (now) 3,000 mile GT back on Dec 14th, and picked it up in the first few days of January. Been on the Mecum/Barrett auction tour the past few weeks and haven't had a chance to post any great words about a great guy that Rich Brooks truly is. I am surprised he didn't eventually push me out the door as I spent way too much time with a Ford friend up there just chatting GTs the day I dropped it off, and another few hours with a different Ford friend who wanted to ride along on the pick up. Took the tour of his facility (twice, lol) and got to see and hear a lot of crazy stories, cars, and the like.

He completed a number of repairs I had been putting off, including the air bag recall that Ford was harassing me on like daily (I think everyone knows he is now certified by Ford to do it?), complete change of every single fluid in the vehicle (purchased with 1K miles and only the oil had ever been changed), engine belt change (except a/c belt which is on some long term back order), replacement of some bushing covers that tend to crack on rear suspension, diagnosis of sudden inop of heat/ac and possibly related battery drain, cleaning all battery grounds, the addition of one of his spiffy rear clamshell releases, and a few other minor things. The heat/ac ended up being a module under the dash that had failed. Curiously, this also appears to have been the cause for the massive battery drain that started this past summer when the heat/ac went black/died as the car is now staying charged for weeks at a time instead of days. The module didn't come in from Ford in time before pick up so I ended up installing it once Rich shipped it to me which didn't end up being that all that big of a deal. While up there, he tested it with a known good (early/recall) module that was previously in Jay Leno's car (marked "J Leno" on it, lol), so clearly the value of my car went up :) Lastly he truly gave the car a full once over as part of the entire job, verifying VIN stickers, etc, etc, and without any additional costs.

All that being said, for anyone ever on the fence of who to use, trust, or go to for repairs, inspections, or any combination thereof for their Ford GT, there's just no question in my mind. He was more than fair on all the billing, sent me regular updates, texts with pictures and kept me apprised the entire 2-3 weeks or so it was up there. In my day-to-day world (real estate), referrals and people who you trust, and who trust you are what make the world go 'round and I can't recommend Rich enough. While I am only a state away, I'd ship my car across country just to let him and ONLY him work on it. Lastly thanks for the Ford GT Forum, otherwise I would have never learned about Rich and all the great things folks had to say about him.

Thought I would pass this on to anyone considering using him. Thanks Rich, you rule!
View attachment 58960View attachment 58961
That was a great article and referral of Rich . I just purchased a 06 and am awaiting delivery from Salt Lake City.
wondering where I would get the GT maintained, PARAMUS Ford? After reading your article I would like to learn his contact and location .
seems others in the for rum also use his shop.
Thx
6 Speed

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Welcome to the forum! Rich is located in Michigan.

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
Ooh! That’s some distance from New Jersey. Are there any members in NJ area who are satisfied with either a dealer or repair shop .
Also looking for a shop that does clear bra or excel in my area . I am in Oradell.
thx

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Rich works on cars from all over the country, only a trailer ride away. But there many members here in the NY/ NJ area, that will likely chime in.

blown-v8

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Ooh! That’s some distance from New Jersey. Are there any members in NJ area who are satisfied with either a dealer or repair shop .
Also looking for a shop that does clear bra or excel in my area . I am in Oradell.
thx

My obsession with these cars began when I was able to tour the plant when GT's were being built back in 2006. In the years since, I have talked to dozens and dozens of owners around the country, but time and time again, Rich seems to be the go to. Call Reliable or Passport Transport and have your car shipped if you don't want to haul it yourself as I did. Rich is used to having them pull up out front of his place to unload, and as a previous mechanic myself, his knowledge is obvious, and clearly worth it. He was an engineer for Roush for the 2005/06 Ford GTs so as others have pointed out, he knows every inch of the vehicle. While I think the dealers are probably capable of stuff like the airbag recalls, I am not sure I'd allow a dealer to do 1/2 of what I had him complete on my car, unless the dealer has a GT-specific tech. As a side note, he has someone who can do paint protection/installation too as I recall him telling me so maybe you could accomplish all tasks at one spot as I was able to. Good luck and welcome to the forum, Jeremy

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
Thx Jeremy, I will definitely consider. Couple years ago I purchase a 51 Merc near Grand Rapids . I’m about to put the engine and will be looking for a good V 8 flathead rebuilder . The drive was approximately one day . What town is he located in?
At present there is only 2600 miles on it so I don’t expect anything of consequence yet , the airbag recall was taken care of.

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
My obsession with these cars began when I was able to tour the plant when GT's were being built back in 2006. In the years since, I have talked to dozens and dozens of owners around the country, but time and time again, Rich seems to be the go to. Call Reliable or Passport Transport and have your car shipped if you don't want to haul it yourself as I did. Rich is used to having them pull up out front of his place to unload, and as a previous mechanic myself, his knowledge is obvious, and clearly worth it. He was an engineer for Roush for the 2005/06 Ford GTs so as others have pointed out, he knows every inch of the vehicle. While I think the dealers are probably capable of stuff like the airbag recalls, I am not sure I'd allow a dealer to do 1/2 of what I had him complete on my car, unless the dealer has a GT-specific tech. As a side note, he has someone who can do paint protection/installation too as I recall him telling me so maybe you could accomplish all tasks at one spot as I was able to. Good luck and welcome to the forum, Jeremy

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
now I understand why he is so recommended. He is an unusual fine.
The clear is for a porsche cup that I am having repaired After an incident on the track.
Thx

blown-v8

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Thx Jeremy, I will definitely consider. Couple years ago I purchase a 51 Merc near Grand Rapids . I’m about to put the engine and will be looking for a good V 8 flathead rebuilder . The drive was approximately one day . What town is he located in?
At present there is only 2600 miles on it so I don’t expect anything of consequence yet , the airbag recall was taken care of.

Rich is located right off I-75 in South Rockwood, Michigan, maybe 30-40 mins south of Detroit. If you do not have evidence of ALL the fluids being changed, I would strongly suggest doing that. My car had 1000 miles on it when I bought it in 2018, and it had only had the oil changed. I had him do all fluids since it's all 15 year old stuff. Brake and hydraulic (clutch) fluid both appeared to have condensation in them. There are a number of fluids in a GT and he did everything included a/c drain/refill. It wasn't cheap to do it all, but in my opinion, well worth it. Hope that helps!

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
The dealer indicated all fluids were changed . We’ll see . I’ get the records to verify.
thx
pete

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
The dealer indicated all fluids were changed . We’ll see . I’ get the records to verify.
thx
pete

Their idea of all fluids may not be the same as ours. There is engine oil, transaxle oil, supercharger oil, brake fluid, clutch hydraulic fluid (which is brake fluid), engine radiator coolant, supercharger coolant etc. And with each of these fluids it's very important to use the right stuff. Here to help if you need anything. And we have to make sure the axle bolts were changed too. It's also important to have a well grounded and fresh battery on these cars and keep them on a trickle charger.

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
thx
I am on the other side of Route 17 from you.
I ship the car out to Rich and then fly out and drive it back. Well worth the cost to have the car done right and always an enjoyable drive back whether it is the US or Canadian route.

Last edited:

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
now I understand why he is so recommended. He is an unusual fine.
The clear is for a porsche cup that I am having repaired After an incident on the track.
Thx
For XPEL I would recommend Eurotech Motorsports in Mahwah

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
For XPEL I would recommend Eurotech Motorsports in Mahwah