The Grand Tour, Episode 3

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Oh no another so soon? Damn it picture quality..... For those that have not followed my awe of the picture quality of this show. Killer tv+ 4k hdr = the future, and it's awesome. Good to hear others think the show sucks.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah, by "filming" it with 4K watching it on a regular TV is still stunning. I wonder what cameras they are using. Some cameras are actually 6K and then the processing downsamples it to 4K.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Check out I think Episode 5, last 15 minutes is a fantastic montage by James May on Ford's 60s LeMans effort.

He drives the original Ford GT and a Ford GT Mark 2 that was in the 1966 race.

Carrol Shelby and driver Ken Miles were shown as the two who saved the day, as well as HF2 millions...

Best thing on the show so far..

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Last 3 episodes on dvr. Will try this week

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+1 the gt40, Ferrari / Ford piece was good (was just one of them, so no stupid banter). The focus / mustang review was stupid. I've learned something that got me through episode 5. Fast forward through anything while in the "tent". I'm done with this show. Not even the picture quality will bring me back.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Watched #6 tonight. The Mustang vs focus track run was a surprise but not a shock. It is all about hp:weight. The gt40 story at the end was well done. It really does have to be the experience of a lifetime to drive one of the original winning cars.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I watched part 1 of the Beach (Buggy) Boys tonight. In this episode we learn why, even though the beach buggy was quite capable of handling the sand and all, having a water cooled engine in the desert is a fundamentally bad idea :)

The desert scenery was (at times) breathtaking. Some of the dunes they went up and down were a dune buggy guy's dream!