The delivery.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
When I bought my car it was in Houston so I flew my Glasair III out from Scottsdale and a nice looking female dealership employee picked me up at the Sugarland Airport. My yellow GT was "looking good" in the service stall and I was giving it my best - this is no big deal, Joe COOL - demeanor as I slipped into the driver’s seat to inspect my new ride. Ah yes.....the sales babe is obviously impressed and she probably thinks I'm a professional race car driver! With about half of the dealership's employees standing around the GT and this young lady looking on from the passenger’s seat I proceeded to slam the door shut on the top of my head, nearly blacking out as the top edge of that door struck the side of my head, pinching my hair in the door seam and ripping it out by the roots as I instinctively recoiled away from that savage blow that left me with an instant reverse MOHAWK. The intense pain was amplified as my passenger shrieked, "Oh my god, your hair is stuck in the roof, does that hurt"?!?! I could feel my coolness draining away rapidly. Determined to salvage any shred of dignity that remained, I said, "No problem darlin".....and then proceeded to swing the door open and jauntily stepped out....slamming my forehead into the corner of the door with such force that it drove me to my hands and knees. "Oh my god, are you all right?" my saleslady gasped as she rushed to my aid. "I'm pretty sure Dan Gurney didn't do this" I was thinking as my hair drifted down from the top edge of the door. I struggled to clear my head and regain my vision. The dealership's General Manager had witnessed this entire spectacle and the look on his face told me that his enthusiasm for letting this out of state "hot shot" test drive their only Ford GT had noticeably diminished. Christ, this has to be some kind of a record. I've already had two serious injury accidents and she hasn't even given me the keys yet! "I'm fine, I'm fine", I exclaimed as I staggered to my feet. "Let's go inside and do the paperwork before I kill myself out here". After writing a check and doing the title work I gave test driving another shot and managed to putter the GT around the block without hitting a curb. The car was shipped to AZ and I was able to fly my plane home without crashing. My hair and my ego are both slowly growing back.

Chip

Last edited:

Pipelion

Chip,

Chip the hair, chip the head, better chip the Ford instead.

Ship the Ford instead!!!

God Chip, what a funny post, I'm dying here :biggrin :rofl :biggrin

More, more, more,

Allan

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
Holy Sh!t that was good!!! :lol :lol :rofl

The visuals as I was reading this post made me bust out laughing...

Too funny, thanks for the laugh!! I owe you one!!

Pipelion

Chip,

If it's not too late, please don't buy a helicopter! Rotors and heads don't go well together. :biggrin

Allan

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
ChipBeck

You NEED the GTX-! upgrade, to cure your PROBLEM !!

AMB

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
That is tooooo funny. Thanks for sharing it.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
All who have hit their forehead on the door the first time they got out of the GT say Aye!

Aye! :willy

You're not alone, Chip!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't recall if it was the 1st time, but I hit the roof once very hard and a number of times softly. I am conditioned to move slowly when exiting the car now.

BlackICE

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
ChipBeck said:
How did your's go? Here's how mine went.

When I bought my car it was in Houston so I flew out from Scottsdale and a nice FEMALE dealership employee picked me up at the airport. My yellow GT was looking good in the service stall and I was giving it my best - this is no big deal, Joe COOL - demeanor as I slipped into the drivers seat to inspect my new ride. Ah yes, she probably thinks I'm a professional race car driver. With this young lady looking on from the passengers seat I proceeded to slam the door shut on the top of my head giving myself an instant reverse MOHAWK. The intense pain was amplified as my passenger screamed, "Oh my god, your hair is stuck in the roof, does that hurt"?!?! I could feel my coolness draining away rapidly. Determined to salvage the shred of dignaty that remained, I said, "No problem darlin'. I then proceeded to swing the door open, and jauntily step out....slamming my forehead into the corner of the door with such force that it drove me to my knees. "Oh my god, are you allright?" my saleslady exclaimed as she rushed to my aid. "I'm pretty sure Dan Gurney didn't do this" I was thinking as my hair drifted down from the top edge of the door. "I'm fine, I'm fine", I exclaimed as I staggered to my feet. "Let's go inside and do the paperwork before I kill myself out here". :bored The car was shipped to AZ and I was able to fly my plane home without crashing. My hair and my ego are both slowly growing back.

Chip
Don't feel bad in my few experiences getting in and out of a GT I have Hit me head 3 times.

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Chip,
You got a reverse "Gurney". Ouch! Good luck with the GT.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
aye aye

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Chip, that was very funny - a reverse Gurney!

A true Mr Bean moment....!

Enjoy the car and drive carefully...... :biggrin