Texas Mile...BEWARE..BE Alert

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Don't do this. Be kind to animals in Texas...........GO BLU...The Gibbs Nascar team was testing in Texas and at 190mph + had this ugly happening.....

Attachments

• image001111-1.jpg
    image001111-1.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 2,256
  • image002222-1.jpg
    image002222-1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 2,765

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Oh my!:eek

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now imagine if that had been a deer...

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007

Ugh! It would have used the "entrance" just above the radiator inlet! :thumbsdow

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Ever wonder what would happen when a BMW driving at 160 mph hits a deer? Well, this recent experiment was performed on the autobahn in Germany. Driving 160mph in his BMW Z4, Geoff Stein hit a deer. The deer disappeared…

Then Geoff stopped, pulled over and wondered, "Where did the deer go…….???"

(Sam would probably think this is the best thing for a BMW....)

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Glad I had time to digest before I saw those pictures. :ack

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
That would be pretty intimidating to be racing and have a snarling wolf/dog face in your rear view mirror on the front of the chasing car...

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Wow! But not all that surprising for that area. Big critters were my biggest worry when I was exploring the Texas back roads in my E-Type in the '70s. After a buddy killed a deer with a T-37 at a Laughlin AFB aux field near Del Rio, I drove a bit more cautiously!:willy:willy:willy

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
HOLY CRAP !!!
Am I gonna have nightmares tonight ! :eek

H

HHGT

Ever wonder what would happen when a BMW driving at 160 mph hits a deer? Well, this recent experiment was performed on the autobahn in Germany. Driving 160mph in his BMW Z4, Geoff Stein hit a deer. The deer disappeared…

Best BMW I've ever seen. I think I'm gonna go throw a steak on the BBQ....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

\

I was referring to a full grown, adult critter. This obviously was a baby.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Animals are a huge problem here in Texas. I would think a racetrack (TexasMile etc) would have a fence around the area high enuff to keep critters out, but that's what I get for thinkin'!

I was returning from Las Vegas late one eveing in S Texas. CB radios were the new thing of the day and I was communicating with the car behind me frequently just to help stay awake. He was an off duty sheriff. Very dark and I noticed his lights were no longer in my rearview mirror. Turned around and a deer had broadsided his 4dr sedan exactly in the rt rear door with the car's speed being a prettyy good clip of speed (not going to commit myself here lol).

Another time I was driving my loaded two-car hauler (rocket -launcher, slide truck...whatever the terminology) and crested a hill at about 60mph. A black cow was laying in the road at night ...I cautiously swerved to the left and clipped the cow with my rt front...literally knocking the chit out of the cow. Luckily I did not turn over. I was in the ditch gathering my thoughts and a farmer in an old Chev Bel-Air came slowly up. I noticed his front end was crushed in but driveable. He gets out and says " I see you hit that cow too!"
Moron could have pulled to the side and turned on his flashers but instead he went to the farmer's house that owned the cow. I was sooooo pissed. The owner of the cow then comes and says "You pay for your truck and I will pay for my cow". Sounded like bs, but after checking I found out that farmer's are not required to maintain their animals inside fences unless it was an interstate hwy. It was not. Lesson learned.:ack

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Another time I was driving my loaded two-car hauler (rocket -launcher, slide truck...whatever the terminology) and crested a hill at about 60mph. A black cow was laying in the road at night ...I cautiously swerved to the left and clipped the cow with my rt front...literally knocking the chit out of the cow. Luckily I did not turn over. I was in the ditch gathering my thoughts and a farmer in an old Chev Bel-Air came slowly up. I noticed his front end was crushed in but driveable. He gets out and says " I see you hit that cow too!"

Now, transfer that "hello" situation to the DIMBULB who was doing 210 mph PLUS in that Veyron!!!!!!!!!!! :ack:ack:ack:willy:willy:willy

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
funny we just use to shoot coyotes. I guess without the NRA this is what we'd have to resort to. :wink

had a deer go OVER my fiat 2000 one night running down the highway at speed. The thought of that one still gives me cold chills.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Remember this from Road America a few summers back?

Da Matta remains hospitalized after hitting deer at Road America
Updated 8/5/2006

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. (AP) — Champ Car driver Cristiano da Matta remained in intensive care with a serious head injury Friday, a day after his race car collided with a deer that had wandered onto the track during a test session at Road America.
Champ Car series spokesman Eric Mauk said the driver was in the intensive care unit at Theda Clark Memorial Hospital in Neenah, where he was airlifted to and had surgery to remove a ruptured blood vessel in his head.

Road America media director Julie Sebranek said she had never heard of a similar incident at the track.

"The race track has been here for 50 years. It's highly, highly unusual," Sebranek said Friday.

An 8-foot chain link fence topped with barbed wire circles the 628-acre property, which is surrounded by wooded terrain and farm fields.

When asked how the deer got onto the property, Sebranek said: "They have been known to jump the 8-foot fences."

"It's just a freak thing and we just maintain the property as we do on a daily basis," she added.

The 32-year-old Da Matta has 12 career Champ Car victories — including four straight wins in his championship season of 2002, tying a series record.

A native of Brazil, da Matta left Champ Car after winning the championship and drove for the Toyota team in the elite Formula One series in 2003 and 2004. In 28 starts, he finished a career-best sixth in three races.

Da Matta returned to Champ Car last year to win a race at Portland and tie for 11th in the standings. He is sixth in the standings this season after finishing second in Sunday's race in San Jose, Calif.

Da Matta began the season with Dale Coyne Racing, then moved to RuSport team at midseason after A.J. Allmendinger was fired.

Da Matta is single and lives in Miami.

RuSport also announced Thursday that Justin Wilson, da Matta's teammate, would not participate in the final day of Road America test on Friday.

The Champ Car series races at Road America on Sept. 24.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Don't do this. Be kind to animals in Texas...........GO BLU...The Gibbs Nascar team was testing in Texas and at 190mph + had this ugly happening.....

Does it look like the driver is floating in mid air on the second picture? I'm not sure why I noticed that.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Does it look like the driver is floating in mid air on the second picture? I'm not sure why I noticed that.

He's walking.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Animals are a huge problem here in Texas. I would think a racetrack (TexasMile etc) would have a fence around the area high enuff to keep critters out, but that's what I get for thinkin'!

The Texas Mile is not a racetrack, it's a air strip in the middle of nowhere.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

That's pbly Chris Angel. He seems to do that a lot! :lol

(Centerpunch nailed it.:wink)

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
That driver is just light on his feet..... :biggrin

Richard Hille
The GT School