Test Drive

paulkopick

Mar 20, 2006
How many of you owners were able to secure a test drive before purchasing? Looking at a couple of dealers who are willing to let me. Since I wouldnt push it at all dont see how it would help much,not disregarding the joy of driving one at all. Just wondering.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Not aware. The harm is guys buying them are very particular of no one having driven there car before them and having minimal if any milage on them. I can understand how unnerving it is buying a car you haven't driven because "fast", "great handling" and "comfortable" are no doubt subjective. Some depend on your body habitus. It also depends on what you have owned before.

Last edited:

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
I purchased my car without ever driving one in advance. When I picked up my car and drove it for the first time I gave a few of the guys at the dealership a ride. I thought I was taking it easy until one passenger told me we were doing 120. Honestly I couldn’t believe it. This car is so deceptive. I imagine most folks here have had a similar experience. Go easy and be aware of your speed.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you get in the car, adjust everything and it feels comfortable, believe me, you don't need a test drive. Take all of our words for it, you won't be disappointed. The only glitch is the clunky subwoofer with the Mac system, and you can learn to live with it, I have. Rear vision is a problem, but just sitting in the car can tell you that. This car is a dream to drive in excess of 100mph and at only 45 mph in 5th in the local neighborhood.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
When thought about a purchase I was only able to sit in it as well (for over an hour 3 different times LOL's).
Then when the money part started to happen the dealer said "do you want to drive it first"?
My thoughts were I already knew its drop dead beautiful, a show stopper, faster than hell, handles like a dream, has no cup holders, loud inside and you can't see crap behind you. So I thanked him but just paid and drove it away..... I was wrong, it's quite inside :lol

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Didn't even ask for a drive. I just let my dealer know I was on the way in to pick it up and to get everything ready. No brainer decision for me even though I have never owned any exotic like that (Jaguar only).

I did have a dealer let me sit in one before that though - most won't even let you do that. I figured it really didn't matter what it drove like. I was buying the CAR I wanted - everything after that is what it was and I figured I could live with it. There are NO disappointments. The only thing I didn't plan on was ducking (the Gurney duck?) every time I close the door - there's clearance, but just to make sure......

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I did not even sit in mine untill after I paid them. BUT for sure NO regrets. Very happy!

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Ive not even heard one run!

Im going to drive mine home friday!Theres not to much sand on the road as i thought.Only 110 miles south of boston to tip of cape cod.The weather has been real good and friday looks great! The trailer the guy had did not have a side door .Just did not like the window trick,I cant wait no more!

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
The wife took it out for a test drive. I did not even care until the paperwork was done. Come to think of it I have not test driven any of my cars in the past 5 year before i bought them. I also know what I want, so not much to decide on at the dealer.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The only car I ever test drove was a Range Rover - everything else I kind of knew what to expect. Exotics are going to perform in a way that no test drive is capable of demonstrating (unless you're let loose on a track).

Actually, I lie. I've just remembered, I WAS offered a test drive in a Murcielago - which I took. It was through central London, scary and demonstrated nothing other than I wouldn't want to drive over those speed bumps again!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
No, I bought my car from a forum posting on Club Cobra, I did sit in the first prototype at Concourso four or five years ago. Had to see how I would fit.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Test drive

I cannot imagine buying a car prior to test driving it. I have been seriously considering purchasing a Ford GT and have been given 2 separate test drives from 2 different dealers. In the same timespan, I also have test driven a 2004 Ferrari 360 and a 2006 Lambo Gallardo E-gear (also twice). The only other car that I am awaiting a test drive is a Ferrari F430. Dealers who want your business and consider you a serious customer should gladly let you test drive the car. Remember...no matter how good a car is out on the track, most people (myself included) will spend far more time in the vehicle cruising around town. Having driven all of the above cars, my personal pick is the Ford GT. You think rear visibility is poor in it, try backing up a Gallardo!
Would you marry someone without dating?
Now if I can only find a black or blue GT at MSRP without that damn subwoofer!
Someone on this site has a drop-dead gorgeous solid yellow GT...never seen this...wow!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I am in agreement with you on the solid yellow GT.... the one on the cobblestone driveway. It looks absolutely great. Had me wondering about the tungsten on order.... but I haven't phone the dealer to change yet!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Please remember, you're dealing with Ford dealers here, not just the usual exotic dealers that are used to this kind of machine and this kind of customer. How many dealership patrons do you think walk in and just want a drive? How do you tell a possible GT owner from the typical man on the street? That's why it's hard to get a test drive, let alone sit in one. I've purchased numerous vehicles from my Ford dealer cause he's a personal friend, but when I went to go for a test drive, the battery was dead. Didn't make any difference. The car was drop dead gorgeous and I fit in it comfortably. Even the wife liked it. Put my money down on the spot. If you don't have this passion for it, maybe the Ferrari or Lambo is better for you.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
My dealer was allotted only one for 2006 and I was lucky enough to be able to order mine from them. However it meant no test drive. I had sat in one previously and I agree with the others, I wanted it and knew that it would drive and perform as advertised.

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Bought mine w/o even seeing it. I just knew I wanted one. To be very honest it's better than I expected.. way better.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
fjpikul said:
Please remember, you're dealing with Ford dealers here, not just the usual exotic dealers that are used to this kind of machine and this kind of customer. How many dealership patrons do you think walk in and just want a drive? How do you tell a possible GT owner from the typical man on the street? That's why it's hard to get a test drive, let alone sit in one. I've purchased numerous vehicles from my Ford dealer cause he's a personal friend, but when I went to go for a test drive, the battery was dead. Didn't make any difference. The car was drop dead gorgeous and I fit in it comfortably. Even the wife liked it. Put my money down on the spot. If you don't have this passion for it, maybe the Ferrari or Lambo is better for you.

I agree with you about Ford Dealers. I live in Winston-Salem, NC, and we have 2 nearby exotic car dealerships: Foreign Cars Italia (Ferrari, Masserati, Porsche) and Sport Auto (Lambo). Virtually anyone can walk into to any of these dealerships and test drive virtually anything. I have found this considerably more difficult when dealing with Chevrolet (corvette) or Ford (Gt) dealerships...they don't seem to understand the type of customer who is interested in these cars. A car can have great performance, but if it is not comfortable to you, feels unsteady or claustrophobic, you have difficulty seeing out of it, or it has a difficult shifter, you might decide to try something else. Actually, the test drive is what allowed me to see what a great car the Ford GT really is. To get my test drives in a Ford GT, I had to drive my Porsche Cayenne Turbo to the dealership to let them know that I could afford this car. Kinda of unfortunate. Personally, I don't care if the car has 2 miles or 20 miles...as long as it is untitled and carries a full warranty. Just my thoughts.

JAM-GT

GT Owner
Sep 29, 2005
Test drive

Just like most of the others in this forum, I bought mine without a test drive. It's the only car that I've ever bought without a test drive. I bought it from a dealer out of state, so I never actually saw the car until I it came off the truck at my driveway. I sat in one at a local dealership and decided later that I had to have one (mostly based on how cool the car looked). The local dealers never offered a test drive (even knowing that I was pretty serious customer).