Tesla Roadster

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
A friend wanted me to look at the Tesla Roadster since orders can now be taken. He was impressed with the performance numbers (i.e. 0-60 time, range, top speed, etc.) and after looking, the numbers are impressive. However, I was not that impressed with the overall look of the vehicle. If I spend $200K+ on a car, I need to really like the looks and other aspects of the car.
That led me to google the top 5 fastest electric cars: Rimac Nevera, Aspark Owl (0-60 in 1.69 sec), Tesla Roadster, Pininfarina Battista, and Drako GTE.

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Hit Post before I finished...
The other cars on the list have better aesthetics (IMO) but for the price and the range, the Tesla has to get some respect!
Even given that, I do not plan to order one. Probably because of what I am used to. I prefer the sound and even the smell of combustion engines! For the money, the 2022 Z06 Vette will be hard to beat. Estimates are base price of around $85K and with options I would want will probably come in a bit over $100K.
What are your thoughts regarding the electric sports cars? BTW, check out the styling of the Aspark Owl! It is truly a sexy car, but at $3.2M, it better be!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im ignorant and stubborn, the only battery I want in my car is the one to start my IC engine. Maybe I'll come around, but sure wont be anytime soon.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Couple weeks back my neighbour, who is a Canadian cop (RCMP), let me drive his Tesla and it was pretty cool. Awesome acceleration, really cool single pedal gas/ brake and some amazing electronic integration.

This week I took my loud as f#ck FGT out with zero integrated technology, zero nanny's and three sweet, sweet pedals. I can't emphasize the three sweet, sweet pedals. There was simply no comparison. The FGT is soooooooo much better then the Tesla. It's almost laughable.

QSS

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Same, I drove my buddy's tesla and yeah it was fast.

Still felt like I was driving an appliance. Or more accurately, an iPad.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
“…driving an iPad”. :ROFLMAO:

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Glad to hear I am not the only one thinking this way. I am a bit older, but am having trouble getting any excitement with the electric cars.
To read the trends, we may not have a choice in the not to distant future --- that will be a sad day!

Reactions: GTMD and extrap

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
You definitely aren't the only one. I, too, have driven Teslas and although they have some benefits, I prefer my cars, motorcycles and nearly any other means of transportation to make noise and be engaging to drive!

Reactions: GTinTN

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
My daily driver now is a Tesla. We should not compare hyper cars with our super cars - two completely different driving experiences. I see my Tesla as a working tool. It’s a moving office; autopilot allows me to be be productive on a hour drive from Ft. Laud to Miami. Is it fun,maybe not,but taking my GT out on a weekend strikes that balance.

Reactions: Roadtrip

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
I know it is bad for the environment, but I love the exhaust smell of old cars. As a cyclist I sometimes think that I can no longer smell cars as they go by. One day in the garage, after I came back from a drive with my youngest daughter in one of my mid 80's cars (911 or Ferrari 328, I forget) she sniffed the air and said "I love that smell!" I guess I am not the worst dad in the world. BTW - she's driven both, but not the GT. I think all 3 of my daughters (and wife) are afraid of it.

Reactions: GTinTN and 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Air quality in the United States of America is improving, even before wide spread use of electric cars.

https://gispub.epa.gov/air/trendsreport/2020/#introduction

If you want to see why air pollution world wide may not be improving;

This map is updated throughout the day. It is very interesting to see what is happening world wide on an hour to hour basis.

Reactions: QuickSilverShelby

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
97% of exhaust emissions were wrung out of cars by 2000. It’s the last few percent that will take another 100% of the effort. Like many things in life.

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Yes, much of the toxic emissions were wrung out (catalytic converters and cleaner gasoline), unfortunately CO2 hasn't been addressed.
I always wondered why the government or universities or energy companies have not offered a monetary prize for someone to invent a practical way to remove CO2 and convert it into something benign?

Reactions: dreimer

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Yes, much of the toxic emissions were wrung out (catalytic converters and cleaner gasoline), unfortunately CO2 hasn't been addressed.
I always wondered why the government or universities or energy companies have not offered a monetary prize for someone to invent a practical way to remove CO2 and convert it into something benign?
Sort of like trees?

(sorry, science nerd and couldn't resist)

Reactions: PeteK

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Exactly! Now if we can just keep them from catching fire and burning!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I know it is bad for the environment, but I love the exhaust smell of old cars. As a cyclist I sometimes think that I can no longer smell cars as they go by. One day in the garage, after I came back from a drive with my youngest daughter in one of my mid 80's cars (911 or Ferrari 328, I forget) she sniffed the air and said "I love that smell!" I guess I am not the worst dad in the world. BTW - she's driven both, but not the GT. I think all 3 of my daughters (and wife) are afraid of it.
Ford created a gas-scented fragrance for electric car drivers that are having issues while driving electric cars ;)

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Sort of like trees?

(sorry, science nerd and couldn't resist)

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Beat me to it.

Reactions: PeteK