Tesla Model S P85D?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Anyone here own one of these? Still looking for a fun daily and this sounds like a fun car with some practicality. Performance stats are pretty impressive.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
A buddy of mine here in Houston just took delivery. PM me and I'll hook you up. He says that " insane mode" is truly scary - all torque comes in from rest and it apparently feels like nothing else he's ever driven ( he currently has a McLaren)

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I hear a good deal about its acceleration. What I don't hear much about are braking and cornering abilities. With the proper options selected, is it a capable fun driving car?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What I don't hear much about are braking and cornering abilities.

A friend was visiting here this week and we met for lunch. He's considering the AWD Tesla (he lives in Colorado so it would serve a purposse). After reading this I was wondering if the car has conventional brakes/pads? All the function of braking can be done using the electric motors. I wrote part of the "active braking" for a hard drive in the 90'. We used back EMF to park the heads and then the rest to change motor commutation to stop the platters.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I uses both active breaking (integrated with accelerator position not brake pedal) and conventional monoblock disk brakes.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Does the stereo make a real car sound?

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I drove my friend's and it's got stunning acceleration as mentioned above. Also, it's braking if only done by the electric motors alone is excellent since they have very strong regeneration capability (it's sort of complementary to it's acceleration capability). I would buy one in a heartbeat if I wasn't involved in other projects at the moment. The large flat panel display is the cat's ass! I feel that this is one of the best engineered street cars ever created. Jay

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
A close friend dropped by yesterday with his new Tesla P85D. I have to admit the acceleration is impressive, it will throw you back in you seat. The electronic gadgets are equally impressive. However I was total underwhelmed by the interior IMOP.

Funny story, he went on his first long trip relying on Superchargers and figured he would have just enough power to get to his destination but would need a plugin when he arrived. He called the resort to inquire if they had electric car plugins and was assured that it was available.

On arrival he unpacks the car, checks in and asks where the electric car plugins are? The front desk responds "I am sorry we do not have any electric car plugins".

he freaks out because he only has enough power for 5 more miles. They found him an ordinary wall outlet in a field along side a shed used by the grounds keepers. you only get a couple miles worth per hour of charging, he had to wait until the next day until he had enough power to get to a car charger 20 miles away.

Get used to the anxiety of watching that power meter.

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
I first had the P85+ and now the P85D and it is a fantastic car. The performance 0-100 is stunning! fit & finish is great and the customer service is second to none... also being made in the USA is another plus. On the comments about range anxiety. I have never had a single issue and with the Tesla SuperCharge station network, you can drive coast to coast for free, for life. We have 10 Supercharger stations in UT alone.) Charging times typically are 15-30 minutes and they have a lounge with refreshments, business center and restrooms while you wait. Charging at home with just 220v takes about 3 hours.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I first had the P85+ and now the P85D and it is a fantastic car. The performance 0-100 is stunning! fit & finish is great and the customer service is second to none... also being made in the USA is another plus. On the comments about range anxiety. I have never had a single issue and with the Tesla SuperCharge station network, you can drive coast to coast for free, for life. We have 10 Supercharger stations in UT alone.) Charging times typically are 15-30 minutes and they have a lounge with refreshments, business center and restrooms while you wait. Charging at home with just 220v takes about 3 hours.

you have more superchargers in Utah than we have in all of Canada

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Charging station near me built with taxpayer money and I've never seen a car charging there. Pretty controversial in my book.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
The car has definitely peaked my interest. I think the nearest Tesla service station is 2.5 hrs from me though.

I would like to use one maybe as a daily driver, but will be problematic if they can't drop off a loaner same/next day if it needs repair... Makes me wonder, how do they handle service calls? Stuff breaks on any car. Curious, do they pickup the car at no charge, time table to pick up, bring/give a loaner, etc...?

Thanks

Last edited:

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
"the car has definitely peaked my interest. I think the nearest Tesla service station is 2.5 hrs from me though.

I would like to use one maybe as a daily driver, but will be problematic if they can't drop off a loaner same/next day if it needs repair... Makes me wonder, how do they handle service calls? Stuff breaks on any car. Curious, do they pickup the car at no charge, time table to pick up, bring/give a loaner, etc...? "

I would say they pick up the car WHEN no charge!!!!!!!!!!!! (LOL)