Takata airbag recall

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
Congrats
I hope a tech can make it to my house in the Spring.
Not holding my breath about getting the red carpet treatment tho.
Glad somebody did.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
I checked with our dealer here just last week and they have plenty of parts for the " first" recall but none for the current recalls. He also told me that the dealership has several other cars in the used car department that cannot be sold until recall done. If that is accurate I would expect the economic pressure of that type scenario to push things along as fast as they can be pushed.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The latest (Dec 2015) Takata inflator rupture caused death was in a 2006 Ford Ranger.

The first to occur in a non-Honda made vehicle.

EA40

GT Owner
Feb 4, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Have any GT owners in Canada had their 15S21 (driver's airbag) recall work completed yet?

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
15S21 is not available yet. Q2.

ttn27

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2014
15S21 is not available yet. Q2.

Any idea when it is available? I can not believe that owners were notified of this recall back in May 2015 and still it is not yet available.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I received my 15S21 notice July 2-015

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Q2 = Second Quarter of 2016.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Anyone doing the "14B09" interim recall as a precaution, even though another will be necessary

Saw another death reported and this El Nino humidity in SoCal continues....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Saw another death reported...

Yes, a very unfortunate Texas teen girl on the way to high school in a minor fender bender with her Honda Civic - very sad....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The owner of the local Ford dealership confirmed again that there is no ETA for the final fix. "Any day now" has become "any month now" and will become "any year now".

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Maybe Takata has to manufacture and ship all the millions of interim airbags before they can start manufacturing the final solution. I was just notified that the airbags for my Dodge Ram are available to be changed, so I've scheduled them to be changed. They said these were an interim fix.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Maybe Takata has to manufacture and ship all the millions of interim airbags before they can start manufacturing the final solution. I was just notified that the airbags for my Dodge Ram are available to be changed, so I've scheduled them to be changed. They said these were an interim fix.

It's odd but I never got a notice from dodge 1500 but my vin shows I'm owed one too.

Much more annoying was the seat adjustment motor. Their solution was a 2000 seat minw was a couple of hours of work and a motor from ebay

Last edited:

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
A. 17 year old girl died in a Honda this week, shrapnel clipped her neck when the Takata airbag deployed.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
This is not a recommendation to do so, but for those who are driving their cars and concerned about possible shrapnel, the passenger airbag can obviously be disabled with the key, and the driver's airbag can be disconnected in about 5 minutes with nothing more than a small socket.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
A. 17 year old girl died in a Honda this week, shrapnel clipped her neck when the Takata airbag deployed.

Saw this story, the result of a very minor rear end collision. Just horrible.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I have driven many cars not equipped with airbags and I am thinking I would like mine disabled. Has anyone done this or know what is involved? Thanks.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I did the interim fix last spring. I figured that if the toot cause is a corrosion issue, I would at least start with a new unit. Quick change at the dealer.
Sad day for that family.
Ajb (andy)

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Got recall notice today Front Driver side 15S21 15V-319. Called dealer and he said they just got 21 in yesterday. Not sure if they are good or not and was replaced earlier.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Got recall notice today Front Driver side 15S21 15V-319. Called dealer and he said they just got 21 in yesterday. Not sure if they are good or not and was replaced earlier.

Maybe parts are finally shaking loose!!!