Takata airbag recall

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Wish I could just disconnect it and be done.

You can

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Just got my notice to replace the previous recall repair when parts are available. Got the same notice about a month ago for my Dodge RAM.

Ditto
Got for my 2003 Ram 1500 and my 06 GT
What a pain in the azz

oceanside gt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Oceanside, CA
I'm in San Diego County and just received the recall letter for the drivers side airbag.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Got my notification letter on Monday. It serves no one other than to check back regularly and hope they resolve the supply problem quickly.

Vince H

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
I would plan on a replacement available around 2018. The vehicle manufacturers letters are just staying in compliance with Obama. Fiat learned the expensive way. I think in the military they refer to this as, CYA. Bags will be available when new vehicle sales slow down. I own 6 vehicles that need bags, good luck with my problem.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I own 6 vehicles that need bags, good luck with my problem.

#firstworldproblems.

Just found out that I own two that need airbags. Wish they were both GT's. :)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Wont it throw codes that would show up during the OBDII scan that our state performs every year for revenue (oh I mean safety inspection)?

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Just received notification letter for both cars today

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Is this the 2nd recall on the airbag for the GT. I got a cal from service manager at Ford dealership i bought my GT from in 2005 last December and he gave me a heads up on the initial recall. Had airbag replaced in March. Just received a general recall notice last week basically talking of a recall and that specific info would be coming soon. BTW, i keep my GT in Missouri.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Is this the 2nd recall on the airbag for the GT. I got a cal from service manager at Ford dealership i bought my GT from in 2005 last December and he gave me a heads up on the initial recall. Had airbag replaced in March. Just received a general recall notice last week basically talking of a recall and that specific info would be coming soon. BTW, i keep my GT in Missouri.

As has been explained before, the second recall (July 2015) is supersedes (or is in addition to) the first recall (Dec 2014). Parts for the second recall are not available right now and not expected any time soon. Since it is thought that humidity affects the canister, I would say being in Missouri that getting the first recall done was a wise choice, but they are thought to have the same long term failure issue as the originals - it just resets the clock.

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
2018 is not that far off. If you drive your recalled air bag vehicle a lot, make sure you have plenty of life insurance. You do want your wife and her next husband to have a very comfortable life.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Wont it throw codes that would show up during the OBDII scan that our state performs every year for revenue (oh I mean safety inspection)?

I just saw your question Andy. Sorry.

Yes, it will throw a code and illuminate the airbag dash light when the bag is disconnected, but it's a 5 minute job to reconnect the driver's side bag and clear the code.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
I checked with dealer today and they said that they have no clue when any parts will be available. They show no dealers in Florida with parts. Being that we are probably the most humid state that is not encouraging.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thanks Paul, that's what I thought.

As for the parts, my understanding won't be until 2016 before there is a solution.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
I checked with dealer today and they said that they have no clue when any parts will be available. They show no dealers in Florida with parts. Being that we are probably the most humid state that is not encouraging.

There are no fixes for the GT Takata recall airbag inflator at this time and no estimate of when the parts will be available in the future. Drive it and don't worry about it. If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Did anyone get ANOTHER 2nd recall letter in the last day or two? I already had my actuator replaced more than 6 months ago. Then came the 2nd recall letter stating the first fix was insufficient but no parts were available.

Just got another letter yesterday for the "Driver Airbag Inflator Replacement" Recall # 14B09

Specifically mentions areas of high humidity.

Do they finally have the parts in for the 'real' fix or is this just another notice? I'll call the dealer on Monday and find out the details.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Did anyone get ANOTHER 2nd recall letter in the last day or two? I already had my actuator replaced more than 6 months ago. Then came the 2nd recall letter stating the first fix was insufficient but no parts were available.

Just got another letter yesterday for the "Driver Airbag Inflator Replacement" Recall # 14B09

Do they finally have the parts in for the 'real' fix or is this just another notice? I'll call the dealer on Monday and find out the details.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-airbag-recall?p=400807&viewfull=1#post400807

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Thanks Ralphie. Didn't see that post. So basically, they're just buying time with the 'higher risk' cars (i.e. high humidity environments) even though this isn't the definitive fix. Great. Not so thrilled about the dealer mucking around the car again.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida

Same with me. I had the first recall done in the spring of this year, driver and passenger side both. Then the July recall letter 15S21 with no apparent fix in sight. Then this past week I received the latest 14B09 "driver airbag inflator replacement". Not quite sure what to make of it.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Same with me. I had the first recall done in the spring of this year, driver and passenger side both. Then the July recall letter 15S21 with no apparent fix in sight. Then this past week I received the latest 14B09 "driver airbag inflator replacement". Not quite sure what to make of it.

Ralphie's post clarified it. Basically, it's just a temporizing measure for those in 'higher risk areas' until the definitive fix can be done. I suppose I'll do it, but again, not happy about a dealer having to muck around the interior again.