Takata airbag recall

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I just received the 2nd air bag recall for my Dodge RAM, but haven't received a recall from Ford for a replacement for the replacement on my FGT. I've already accomplished the 1st replacement of both the driver and passenger bags on both my FGT and RAM. As stated by others above, I was put on a waiting list for this 2nd Dodge recall due to lack of parts. My guess is they are trying to find a different propellant that doesn't break down.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I just received the 2nd recall notice (15S21) for the Driver Side Airbag. It is posted below.

Please note that - "...When parts become available for Safety Recall 15S21, Ford Motor Company will notify you via mail to scheduled a service appointment...."

View attachment 38781

Last edited:
I called Ford directly yesterday about this recall, and was told "sorry, we don't know any more than you do about parts availability". Then I called the dealer who will be doing the airbag repair and the service manager told me to check back in a couple of months. Fortunately, I haven't had the first one done, so I'm not REALLY pissed. I wonder how many recalls will it take to fix this issue?

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Got a recall notice today for the driver’s side bag, same as in Ralphie’s post.
Nothing on the passenger side mentioned.

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
I got the drivers side letter today also.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I called Ford directly yesterday about this recall, and was told "sorry, we don't know any more than you do about parts availability". Then I called the dealer who will be doing the airbag repair and the service manager told me to check back in a couple of months. Fortunately, I haven't had the first one done, so I'm not REALLY pissed. I wonder how many recalls will it take to fix this issue?

Don't you get it? The second recall is an admission that the first recall is ineffective!!! And they don't know what they will do for part 2.

This is an unmitigated disaster

P.S. The funny thing is the letter came in my wife's name.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Got the same 15S21 as Ralphie in the mail yesterday, and now what ? What a bunch of class act A... H... . What a mess: Here's a safety recall Mr. Customer, if your airbag deploys and the shrapnels from the inflator canister deforms your face of kills you, there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. But hey, here's the formal recall. What an insult to our intelligence, somebody lock somebody up please.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I got my very first recall notice today

Don't you get it? The second recall is an admission that the first recall is ineffective!!! And they don't know what they will do for part 2.

Believe me, I get it. It's clear they don't have the parts and for all I know it may take years to get them, because Takata is probably going to be out of business so some other company will have to make them.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Believe me, I get it. It's clear they don't have the parts and for all I know it may take years to get them, because Takata is probably going to be out of business so some other company will have to make them.

It wasn't too many years ago that the chairman of Takata would have committed seppuko over an event of this magnitude.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I got the same letter today, my second driver side recall
Unreal. :frown

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Got mine yesterday as well.
Mark

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I got the same letter, driver's side only. I guess they don't care about our passengers!!!

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Received my letter yesterday.

Don't call us- we'll call you.

And we wait.......

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Wish I could just disconnect it and be done.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Just got my notice to replace the previous recall repair when parts are available. Got the same notice about a month ago for my Dodge RAM.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
New! SERVICE ACTION
A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers when parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall.
NOTE: Some vehicles included in 15S21 are also included in 14B09. The repair parts for 15S21 have not yet been developed and will be the subject of a future announcement.
 Vehicles that are currently open in 14B09 and 15S21 – Dealers should replace the driver airbag inflator under 14B09.
 Vehicles that are open in 15S21 – Repairs will be the subject of a future announcement.
New! CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of record will be notified via first-class mail the week of July 13, 2015 that parts are not currently available under 15S21. Customers will be re-notified after repair instructions and parts ordering information are provided to dealers.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
New! SERVICE ACTION

... Vehicles that are currently open in 14B09 and 15S21 – Dealers should replace the driver airbag inflator under 14B09.
 Vehicles that are open in 15S21 – Repairs will be the subject of a future announcement.

This sounds like they would like to have the original inflators changed out with new parts of the existing design (14B09), in order to have units installed which have not corroded as much as our 10 year old parts. This would give them a time hedge while the replacement parts (15S21) are designed and fabricated.

Makes sense....

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Recall letters finally hit Arizona. I got mine and so did a friend in the mail yesterday 7/27/2015 for drivers side only. Ford to notify us when parts are available.

Armrer

GT Owner
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Arizona
Yeah, I live in Tucson and received my letter last night. : (