Tach and oil pressure guage quit working....

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Started up the GT after 3 weeks sitting and the oil pressure and tach are dead. Any thoughts on cause?

:confused

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL

canadiancobra

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta
Let the car run and charge up battery. Then turn off and restart and they may come back. If not welcome to the guage failure club!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
make sure your battery is putting out over 13 volts,, aroud 13.2 minimun..

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
make sure your battery is putting out over 14 volts,, aroud 14.2 minimun..

???

I don't think any FGT battery will put out 14 volts, but the if the car is running the alternator may do that. A 6 cell lead/acid batteries will be about 12.7 to 12.8 volts tops, but the car should run between 13.3 to 14.5v.

If you just charged the battery it can have a higher voltage for a brief time. Just put a small load on it and test again. e.g. hit the brakes for a second to get rid of the excess charge.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Yup, they are wonderful guages alrighty.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
???

I don't think any FGT battery will put out 14 volts, but the if the car is running the alternator may do that. A 6 cell lead/acid batteries will be about 12.7 to 12.8 volts tops, but the car should run between 13.3 to 14.5v.

If you just charged the battery it can have a higher voltage for a brief time. Just put a small load on it and test again. e.g. hit the brakes for a second to get rid of the excess charge.

Hey it was late,, I hit the "4" key instead of the "3" Key.... :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Hey it was late,, I hit the "4" key instead of the "3" Key.... :biggrin

Just remember to make the same mistake when writing the check to me! :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Just remember to make the same mistake when writing the check to me! :biggrin

Be careful what you ask for. He COULD make an error with the decimal, too, ya know! And if I were him - I WOULD!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Be careful what you ask for. He COULD make an error with the decimal, too, ya know! And if I were him - I WOULD!

If I had $100 for every mile you drove I still would be poor! I guess I would have to say you are one hell of a environmentalist, I don't know anyone that puts out less green house gasses from the autos tailpipes than you.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
If I had $100 for every mile you drove I still would be poor! I guess I would have to say you are one hell of a environmentalist, I don't know anyone that puts out less green house gasses from the autos tailpipes than you.

Can say that much for his "HUMAN" tailpipe. Lots of gases come out of there on a daily basis. He has polluted this forum with 12,023 of them as of this very moment! :)

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
ROFL!!!!!!!

"Green" Pockets! :rofl from Washington! :rofl

.....and Shelby you beat me to the punch!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
New rule: You can't have more posts than GT miles driven!:lol

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Well good news ! I recharged the battery, cleaned the terminals (they looked clean to start with), reassembled the + & - post terminals, restarted the car and all the gauges work fine now. I am so thankful for the suggestions from you guys - terrific to have such great help!
Thanks again!!! Jim

H

HHGT

Keep an eye on the battery or consider putting in a diehard.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Also, consider sanding contact point of ground terminal to frame; its threaded and dialectric grease is ok too

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Can say that much for his "HUMAN" tailpipe. Lots of gases come out of there on a daily basis. He has polluted this forum with 12,023 of them as of this very moment! :)

ROFL!!!!!!!

"Green" Pockets! :rofl from Washington! :rofl

.....and Shelby you beat me to the punch!

New rule: You can't have more posts than GT miles driven!:lol

:tap: Pockets is NOT "feelin' the luv" here people. 'Not feelin' any luv at all as a matter of fact. Therefore...:leaving:

:tongue

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
:tap: Pockets is NOT "feelin' the luv" here people. 'Not feelin' any luv at all as a matter of fact. Therefore...:leaving:

:tongue

We all really luv you EP, that why we give you so much, ****.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Merry Christmas to you too, Clinton...and to the rest of your fellow 'finks' as well! :lol :thumbsup

("Finks"! Now, THERE'S one ya gotta reach waaaay back for!)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Merry Christmas to you too, Clinton...and to the rest of your fellow 'finks' as well! :lol :thumbsup

("Finks"! Now, THERE'S one ya gotta reach waaaay back for!)

None of us are finking on you. Everyone knows you don't drive your cars. We just like to remind them. :lol