Stolen car returned

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
http://mynorthwest.com/123/565684/Mo-man-tracks-down-classic-car-stolen-in-1995

1) Do you want it back (if it was insured)?
2) Does the unknowing seller entitled to any compensation?
3) Do they chase down the previous sellers?

:confused

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Subsequent "owners" of a stolen vehicle are out of luck.

I suppose a subsequent owner COULD go after prior 'illegal' owners...but, at what cost...and on what grounds? That they were as ignorant as he?

As to whether one would want it back - evidently THIS guy did! Bad!

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If the real owner get an insurance payment for the stolen car, wouldn't the insurance company have a legal claim to it?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If the real owner get an insurance payment for the stolen car, wouldn't the insurance company have a legal claim to it?

The ins co should be entitled to whatever 'twas they paid the owner for the car...assuming no statute of limitations applies and/or there was no "fine print" in the policy specifically dealing with that eventuality. I doubt they'd want to be saddled with taking possession & selling it, etc., anyway.

Edit: In addition, I'd think the owner ought to be entitled to the expenses he laid out to recover the car IF the ins co were to end up with it.

Last edited:

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I actually had a similar experience on a sand buggy I bought and put several thousand in upgrades on. Ended up having to buy it all over again from the guy it was stolen from. I had purchased it from a guy who worked for a local towing co. Ended up they had been picking up cars all over town and reselling them.