Stock Spring Rates?

Blown032k

Apr 10, 2006
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the stock spring rates f/r on the Ford GT. Thank you.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
good question :thumbsup i too hope somebody knows the answer to this

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
spring rates, trick aftermarket shocks, etc.

I'd like to know the stock rates also. When I replace the stock shocks I'll check the rates on the stock springs & let you know. I have been looking into either Penske or Ohlins shocks but haven't had much luck getting info yet. It may have to be a custom thing. I do know that the stockers work great on the road but are a little soft on the track.

I emailed former Ford Co. GT tech Alex Szilagyi, who posted on the forum regarding Penske shocks a while back, but he hasn't sent me the requested info. It's been over 3 weeks. He has responded to my emails but hasn't sent me info on the shocks. I called Penske but they never returned my call. I'll try Ohlins again & let you know if they have shocks &, if so, the price, etc.

Remote reservoirs, adjustable compression & rebound via external knobs, aluminum bodies (hard anodized interiors. TiNi coated shafts, etc would be exotic but more bucks), easy rebuilds/revalves & dual rate springs would be what the GT deserves. They should be around $3500 for all 4 ready to bolt on with springs & valving for your GTs use if they are not jacked up in price because they are for the GT.

Ed

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Go get em Ed, many of have been looking, to no avail.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ed,
I had a set of custom Ohlins made for mine - but the Danish race shop who did them has been too busy to come up with a price...:-(

Mine was a sponsor deal from Ohlins so I can't even help with prices

http://http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059&page=1&pp=10&highlight=ohlins
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059&page=1&pp=10&highlight=ohlins

Ed Sims said:
I'd like to know the stock rates also. When I replace the stock shocks I'll check the rates on the stock springs & let you know. I have been looking into either Penske or Ohlins shocks but haven't had much luck getting info yet. It may have to be a custom thing. I do know that the stockers work great on the road but are a little soft on the track.

I emailed former Ford Co. GT tech Alex Szilagyi, who posted on the forum regarding Penske shocks a while back, but he hasn't sent me the requested info. It's been over 3 weeks. He has responded to my emails but hasn't sent me info on the shocks. I called Penske but they never returned my call. I'll try Ohlins again & let you know if they have shocks &, if so, the price, etc.

Remote reservoirs, adjustable compression & rebound via external knobs, aluminum bodies (hard anodized interiors. TiNi coated shafts, etc would be exotic but more bucks), easy rebuilds/revalves & dual rate springs would be what the GT deserves. They should be around $3500 for all 4 ready to bolt on with springs & valving for your GTs use if they are not jacked up in price because they are for the GT.

Ed

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Penske shocks, lowered ride height, spring rates, etc

First off I still don't have the stock spring rates Blown032k. I just spoke to Jim Arentz at Penske Shocks & he reports he couldn't tell me at the moment but they did measure them. He isn't the main tech that worked on getting the specs, etc. When I remove my shocks I'll measure them for you.

Here's the skinny on shocks for the GT -

Penske has them available. Currently, only as a non-adjustable damping unit. The spring preload (tension) is adjustable though so ride height will be adjustable. I don't know how much adjustablilty is available ie. inches in ride height. The shock body is threaded so the spring keeper can move up & down the body. The cost is approximately $500 per unit with spring. It depends on the number they build ie. our response.

The bodies are hard anodized red inside & out. The GT logo is laser etched on the top mount. The eyelets, caps, etc are silver. The valving is similar to stock but a different piston is used. They can be rebuilt in your garage too!

The double adjustable damping (compression & rebound) feature can also be added to the shock. This is the one I want. You can firm it up for the track or road strafing by simply turning a knob on the shock. Softening it will improve the street cruising ride. These will be approximatley $800-825 per unit. This is almost the same as their double adjustable shocks for other cars. No GT markup!

Contact Jim at 610-375-6180 PA/EST. If it is after hours leave a voice message at ext 209. www.penskeshocks.com

Ed

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Stock spring rate

Stock rates are :

Front 200 Lb / inch at the installed length (or 35 N/mm)
And 280 in the rear at installed length ( or 49 N/mm)

Black2003Cobra

Mar 4, 2006
NY
And does anyone know the damping factors (N/m/s or lb/in/s) of the stock dampeners?