Steve Saleen and Ford Racing Valve Covers

Balance

GT Owner
Jul 5, 2021
I’m a first time GT owner and am crazy happy about it. Ive got a 4 option, 4K mile, black/silver car, a clean carfax but i dont know as muh about the history as I’d like to. For example, the car has “Ford Racing” valve covers that i think are aftermarket but not sure. Anybody know? Also, the car is signed “Steve Saleen” on the drivers side motor brace but have no idea how to verify that Steve actually signed it, where and when. Any advice or thoughts on best ways to research would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
You might take a pic of the engine bay area so we pick out what might be after market. The OEMs had Powered by Ford. Congrats

Last edited:

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Congratulations & Welcome! Ford Racing coil covers are cool! not OEM but cool! Enjoy your new ride! Post up pictures when you can

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Welcome! Yeah, looking forward to pics 🍻

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
There are numerous cover options, here is mine:
IMG_0077 small.jpg

Reactions: extrap

Balance

GT Owner
Jul 5, 2021
You might take a pic of the engine bay area so we pick out what might be after market. The OEMs had Powered by Ford. Congrats
Thank you. Ill do just that when back in town next week

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There are not a lot of choices in coil covers. The outfit in CA that made the nice billet replacement caps in several colors also made the coil covers as shown above in several colors. Your coil covers are an aftermarket piece made by Ford with Ford Racing on it. Ford Racing no longer exists being replaced by Ford Performance. These were not an option on the GT just an aftermarket piece offered by Ford.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Whoever owned the car beforehand must have been somewhere where Saleen was and had him sign it. Many of us who were at Rally 1 in Detroit had our cars signed by numerous engineers and execs. The most common is Camilo Pardo the car designer. Edsel signed many of our cars.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Steve Saleen has a real connection to the cars, Ford contracted with him to do the body assembly. Here's a pic of my first car in process at the Saleen plant- Steve is standing by the front fender.
at saleen-low_res-scale-2_00x-gigapixel sm.jpg

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Whoever owned the car beforehand must have been somewhere where Saleen was and had him sign it. Many of us who were at Rally 1 in Detroit had our cars signed by numerous engineers and execs. The most common is Camilo Pardo the car designer. Edsel signed many of our cars.

Edsel signed yours in disappearing ink - it wasn't by accident..... ;-))

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, after 16 years they are all disappearing Mr. WISE Guy.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Yes, after 16 years they are all disappearing Mr. WISE Guy.

Oh man! Pot ... kettle ...

😁

Balance

GT Owner
Jul 5, 2021

Balance

GT Owner
Jul 5, 2021
Sorry @Art138. Thought i was copy and pasting pics but messed up.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

I cannot attach phone pics here unless I first email them to myself and save them in that emailed format. Then they will upload here.

Balance

GT Owner
Jul 5, 2021
I cannot attach phone pics here unless I first email them to myself and save them in that emailed format. Then they will upload here.
Welcome! Yeah, looking forward to pics 🍻

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
From what I see in the pics is that you have a Ford Motors transmission cooler ( very hard to find new);the valve covers are not OEM; bottle caps for engine and supercharger coolant after market. I notice brown material on the fuel rail……that should be shiny chrome. You might consider changing transmission fluid unless you know it was performed with the trans cooler install. Did the car have a tune? If so,the SC pulley was probably changed.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The coil covers are as I described from the Ford parts bin. The chrome caps are also Ford pieces. They could be purchased from Ford. Neither item has been for sale by Ford for many years. That is Saleen's signature. Same as the one on my car.

Last edited:

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Hi Mike,
As Frank has stated, the caps and coil covers where offered by Ford. When I purchased my car, the dealer handed me a print out of the items available from Ford Racing ( which became Ford Performance) for the Ford GT. These items where on those pages.
As for the signature, It will continue to fade. I would talk with a paint protection film installer to put a "wrap" around it to preserve what is still there. This is similar to putting clear packing tape over thermal receipts for warranty items bought to preserve them for possible warranty work
in the future.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
So this makes the 5th different valve cover design I’ve seen.