Stereo sounds mediocre at best

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Hello All,

Going on about 7 months since I "joined the club". I still can't believe there is a FGT in my garage! Anyway, it hasn't been very important to me but I started messing around with the stereo (Mcintosh option) and honestly my F150 sounds 10 times better. This car only has 2000 miles and I am sure the previous owner didn't spend much time adjusting the stereo but something must be out of whack. With that huge subwoofer blocking my view of that awesome blower, it better produce! I haven't spent a lot of time monkeying around with adjustments but can anyone give me some advice on how to tune it in so it doesn't sound like my old Krako 8 track? Thanks in advance for any input.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Hello All,

Going on about 7 months since I "joined the club". I still can't believe there is a FGT in my garage! Anyway, it hasn't been very important to me but I started messing around with the stereo (Mcintosh option) and honestly my F150 sounds 10 times better. This car only has 2000 miles and I am sure the previous owner didn't spend much time adjusting the stereo but something must be out of whack. With that huge subwoofer blocking my view of that awesome blower, it better produce! I haven't spent a lot of time monkeying around with adjustments but can anyone give me some advice on how to tune it in so it doesn't sound like my old Krako 8 track? Thanks in advance for any input.

That is odd, does it seem like stations aren't coming in clear, like your hearing static? I have the Mac in mine and it sounds pretty decent, albeit a little "boomy" with the sub right next to your ear. Don't need a whole lot of bass in the tone controls, that is for sure.

Where are you in Tampa, I'm in the same area.

Rick

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
radio? the Ford GT has a radio? maybe it's a Florida thing! lol

Reactions: JWZ

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I relocated my sub to behind the passenger seat, down low.

I liked it so much, I added a second amp and subwoofer and put the second behind my seat.

Do I listen to it while driving? rarely. But I often sneak out to the Garage and listen to a album start to finish all by myself, at a level that nobody is going to be bothered by (think dogs and wife).

Last weekend it was Crime of the Century. One of my all time favorites (yes I love non-Rush Music too).

Reactions: TORQJNKY

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The Mac in my car was the best sounding radio I've had anywhere. Turn up the volume all the way and listen to Comfortably Numb. No overdrive flutter at all!!! No other sound system could do that.

Reactions: jammer and 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The Mac in my car was the best sounding radio I've had anywhere. Turn up the volume all the way and listen to Comfortably Numb. No overdrive flutter at all!!! No other sound system could do that.

+1

Both for the quality of the Mac as well as Comfortably Numb (A freaking masterpiece).

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I'll go with Crime of the Century, top to bottom, front to back. Sounds good on the mac at any speed.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Ken
First off enjoy the wonderful car.
What is your vin number?
Is your RADIO weak for am/fm?
Does it buzz or you here a fan blowing?
Or is it that way to you no matter what?
The radio should be loud and deafening
But once we know what year and vin and if it’s just the radio I will explain
Gtjoey1314

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
My humble opinion is to turn off the radio and amplify the exhaust!
But, that's just me.
I've done many major sound installs in vehicles.
In that car it would be a waste.
Your car.............enjoy!
My Best,
Mark

Reactions: JWZ and RPM217

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Did you read the owner's manual? Do you have a cable running to the back of the radio with a 3.5 mm plug on it? This connects whatever you have to the AUX function.

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Thanks for the responses! I have only tried the FM and not a CD. It is not static-y at all but just sounds kind of flat. I have tried adjusting but wanted to make sure that it was supposed to perform before I wasted too much time. Like I said it isn't super important to me.
Ken
First off enjoy the wonderful car.
What is your vin number?
Is your RADIO weak for am/fm?
Does it buzz or you here a fan blowing?
Or is it that way to you no matter what?
The radio should be loud and deafening
But once we know what year and vin and if it’s just the radio I will explain
Gtjoey1314
vin 1FAFP90SX5Y401711 Thanks for any insight.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I hopped in a friend's GT the other day. The stereo sounded like crap. Turns out it was just a rap CD.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
something must be out of whack
My radio sounded something like you described. When doing some PM, I found that the ground wire for the sub/amp had broken from the crimp grounding eyelet. This ground is behind the drivers seat next to the sub. I fixed the ground, now sounds great.

Reactions: 2112

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Ken your car is a late 2005
Early 2005 had antenna wire embedded in the windscreen rubber
Yours should not so that’s off the table
Sometimes on the Max the fan goes and it heats up and garbles
If that’s fine
And the ground like others is fine
Do like others have said
Open the window and drive fast, nothing else sounds as good😀
Gtjoey1314

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Ken your car is a late 2005
Early 2005 had antenna wire embedded in the windscreen rubber
Yours should not so that’s off the table
Sometimes on the Max the fan goes and it heats up and garbles
If that’s fine
And the ground like others is fine
Do like others have said
Open the window and drive fast, nothing else sounds as good😀
Gtjoey1314

Did I read something about window trim coming off at speed with windows down?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, it delaminates.

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
The Burmester in my 911 TTS can't touch the Mac in the GT. I know my hearing is not what it used to be but the Mac is the best production system in an automobile that I've ever heard.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Yes, it delaminates.
[/QUOTE
I guess I've been lucky..lol...spent many, many months of windows down driving....no delaminated any thing. I usually roll the windows up at 125-135 as the wind noise becomes unbearable. Except on a race track..always down.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Get a radio shop to connect a cord to the Mac that is compatible with your I phone plug, on accessories. That's the best low cost solution, sounds great.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If we’re being objective, the average new pickup truck has a better sound system than our old GTs. There just weren’t good places to put speakers in that cabin. But for the time, they were pretty good.