Steering Wheel Center Pitting

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Mine's pitting too. It just seems like a crime that Ford has to incur the cost of an entire airbag if the button can be replaced as easily as Shelby describes.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
While I do know that we can get the center cap OFF the steering wheel, I have not investigated as to if we can order the button seperate. I will do some investigating and see what I come up with.....

I know the engine braces are also used for the door handles, and it looks like the me the center cap on the upgraded wheels is the same button on the steering wheel.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Mine is pitting too. I couldn't understand how this was happening. Glad to see this post. Do we have three years warranty on the cars? Anyone have a problem getting this covered under warranty?

Yes, I agree with Kendall, seems like a waste of resources, but it is very ugly.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
I have dealt with this issue on several marquees over the years and every one required an airbag replacement. When I researched it further because to me it seemed to be an extreme measure I was informed that the associated liability if the airbag were to go off is significant and then compound this with a button of sorts being a potential flying piece of debris no one sold them separately.

I would speculate that this is why many have embossing rather than an inlaid piece.

Now I know of one Forum member that already took matters into his own hands and created a cool retro looking decal that fits perfectly and now appears as if from days gone past; this would be Ed Simms

Takes care

Shadowman

I went with the Ed Simms fix and it does look very nice. :thumbsup

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Pitting

Mine pitted. Looking for a nice replacement. What's the way ahead?

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
If we can get the buttons, then we are good. The piece as I said is a piece of cake to change (atleast it is for us). I would think there would have to be a source for this SOMEWHERE...... :confused

Because of the fact that MANY of the gals are getting OUT OF WARRANTY, I know that 99% of those people are NOT gonna want to purchase and entire airbag to fix such a simple problem.

Shelby, Your just a bit to far from me to have the button replaced.....any chance you can post up a "D.I.Y"

Ed any photos??????