Stay Away From AutoNation Ford in North Scottsdale

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I have used Auto Nation on Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd for a number of minor services over the past years. Went in last week to have the passenger airbag replaced, and asked if they would simply look at all four corners and check all the control arm bushings. Days later they had $11,000 of suggested fixes for me, including replacing all four coilovers and shocks. Almost all items appeared to be "fishing efforts" on their part. Got my airbag swapped, some A/C service and left. Even turned down the $600+ oil change they offered. Never did get an answer on the bushings.

Not sure what has happened at this dealership, but I am staying away.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just FYI, just had my oil changed at dealership. $209.

Reactions: Roadtrip

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
That seems to be all too common these days. At my local dealership, they internally call the service managers "business development managers." Not too hard to figure out their game.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Try taking a Mini Cooper into a dealer service department.

They even make the parent company BMW service departments look tame.

But they will call the estimate a "Treatment Plan" and not even blink when the relatively minor repairs exceed 50% of the value of the car. Horrible experience.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
This is exactly why I have ignored passenger air bag recall not to mention don't trust dealer mechanics with my car. Years ago had truck in for service there and received courtesy carwash but got truck back with antenna bent over at 30 degree angle. It is always a roll of the dice, most times you get good service, but sometimes not. Wish Dexter would return to this dealer.

Last edited:

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
I did have them do my passenger airbag without problems. I did not ask for anything else to be done.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Hardly any profits in new car sales, I think what's saving most dealers from going belly up are used car sales and their service/parts department.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I go to that dealership and use service advisor Kevin Morgan only. He takes care of me but unfortunately Dexter left a few years ago, and now I don't trust work being done unless I'm watching (such as the airbags which were no issue to have done). It's better to coordinate when Rich comes down from Kingman to have him do any needed maintenance.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I’ve used this dealership for a ton of service work, mostly on my other Ford’s and I’ve been very happy with them. They replaced both airbags in my GT and Shelby Mustang while I waited and the work was perfect. As a former new car dealer myself I know that the service writer is a salesman and if I get a long list of suggested items I can choose what I want them to do. I replaced one of my OEM shocks because it was leaking and they are expensive. Most GT parts are expensive now. If they did poor work I’d stay away, but they have always done good work for me. When I take a car in there for specific problems they fix just that. When I ask them to look my car over I get a laundry list of everything that isn’t perfect. That’s the writers job. The list will be a lot shorter if you ask the service writer which items would he service if it was HIS car. Cheers.

Chip

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
This is exactly why I have ignored passenger air bag recall not to mention don't trust dealer mechanics with my car.

Kirk,

That recall can only be done at a dealership, Rich can’t do it and it needs to be done. The tech there has swapped those airbags out in over 30 GT’s including mine and that dude could do it blindfolded in 30 minutes while you wait. You can even drive your GT back to his stall yourself. Don’t risk taking a piece of shrapnel in your face that could do real harm. It doesn’t cost you a dime and leaving a known hazard in your GT isn’t the cool deal. All the best.

Chip

Semperfi3069

Sep 26, 2008
Hendersonville, NC
Wow, It"s so nice to read threads and see this positive response. I do miss Scottsdale. Maybe one day the window of opportunity will open for that area again. I have left the dealership again with no intention of returning. I am at a very nice independent shop here in Hendersonville, NC. I have recently created them a Instagram page generalautorepair, I try to keep the page active.

Semperfi3069

Sep 26, 2008
Hendersonville, NC
Ford is allowing the dealership tow hours of travel time to send a tech to your house to perform the airbag recall. FYI

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I asked the dealer to do the work at my home, but they refused saying Ford will not pay for that.

If you have that in writing I would appreciate getting a copy of it.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I have been happy with Phoenix Sanderson Ford for old GT service (and new GT too). My local Flagstaff dealer Babbitt Ford was fine for my air bag work, although it is a really long , flimsy foam piece that has to be removed for passenger side air bag.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Anything other than bags go to Rich

Semperfi3069

Sep 26, 2008
Hendersonville, NC
zach05855, PM sent

Semperfi3069

Sep 26, 2008
Hendersonville, NC
FYI, Page 3 of recall 16S26, dated November 28, 2018 (supplement 10) states the additional "special handling" allowances for the Ford GT. I am unable to post attachments, PM me with your info if you would like me to email you a copy.

Revans134

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2019
Scottsdale
FYI, Page 3 of recall 16S26, dated November 28, 2018 (supplement 10) states the additional "special handling" allowances for the Ford GT. I am unable to post attachments, PM me with your info if you would like me to email you a copy.

Just getting up to speed after buy8ng my first Ford GT. I need to order the Carfax to find out if the airbags have been replaced but in Phx do yumrecdomend Scottsdale or Sanderson ford? It is a blue/ white 2005 with 1500 miles

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I have used Auto Nation on Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd for a number of minor services over the past years. Went in last week to have the passenger airbag replaced, and asked if they would simply look at all four corners and check all the control arm bushings. Days later they had $11,000 of suggested fixes for me, including replacing all four coilovers and shocks. Almost all items appeared to be "fishing efforts" on their part. Got my airbag swapped, some A/C service and left. Even turned down the $600+ oil change they offered. Never did get an answer on the bushings.

Not sure what has happened at this dealership, but I am staying away.

I'm a little confused on your numbers for service work. you said for them to check the insulators on all 4 corners and talk about coil overs and shocks.
all 4 corners for new strut/shocks and new springs is approx 2700 at full SRP for the parts.
all 4 corners for all new upper and lower control arms with the bushings is approx 18000 at full SRP for the parts with dealer cost at approx 11000.
OR----------- is this thread so old the prices quoted are ancient history? just curious. thanks

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just getting up to speed after buy8ng my first Ford GT. I need to order the Carfax to find out if the airbags have been replaced but in Phx do yumrecdomend Scottsdale or Sanderson ford? It is a blue/ white 2005 with 1500 miles

You do not need to order Carfax for recall info. Go to https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html and enter your VIN. This is the official Ford site.