Static interference with McIntosh stereo

Arm

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
South Florida
I have a very minor problem with my new GT, I get static interference from the stereo (both radio and CD) when the engine is turned on. The static doesn't get any louder when you increase the volume of the stereo, it just gets drowned out by music. When the engine is off, it's crystal clear.

Anyone encounter this before? Thanks.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
If I did, my Accufab took care of that!

Seriously, I hardly ever turn it on. I leave my window down so I can hear that X-Pipe music. :biggrin

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Arm said:
I have a very minor problem with my new GT, I get static interference from the stereo (both radio and CD) when the engine is turned on. The static doesn't get any louder when you increase the volume of the stereo, it just gets drowned out by music. When the engine is off, it's crystal clear.

Anyone encounter this before? Thanks.

I do not have this problem with my McIntosh, haven't seen this issue posted before either. Bad ground?

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I do not have any such engine interference either.
I do have rpm interference on the turn signals though, but here in S. FL most people don't really bother with signals anyway :biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You have no choice but to test it at SuperB's house in October, see if his does it too.

*note to self* find out what's in the water in Coral Gables.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Mine is the same as SuperB - noise when turn signal on - fix is dont use signal!

bonedoc

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2006
Wichita, KS
That is funny. Mine makes noise sometimes too. The signals also make noise, but I thought it was an intentional sound effect.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
One cool side effect of the increasingly high pitched squeal of the turn signal is that it kind of sounds like when the original Predator sets off that bomb at the end of the first flick. It give me a reason to increase the rpms as I turn so it sounds like I'm running Schwarzenegger style from the handheld nuclear weapon.

I think this is what Ford really had in mind here.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
DBK said:
One cool side effect of the increasingly high pitched squeal of the turn signal is that it kind of sounds like when the original Predator sets off that bomb at the end of the first flick. It give me a reason to increase the rpms as I turn so it sounds like I'm running Schwarzenegger style from the handheld nuclear weapon.

I think this is what Ford really had in mind here.

I think you are right. That is EXACTLY what FOMOCO had in mind. :thumbsup

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
You guys have a brilliant way of breaking a problem down, reasoning it out and arriving at a logical conclusion! :lol

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
My 2005 has static on the AM band only. I was told by Ford GT guys that it was probably a supercharger cooling system water pump causing it. They also said that a fix was in the works.

If the Accufab guys fixed the problem I sure would like to know how they did it!

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I just noticed some static in mine too. The static noise level is very low though so I'm just gona pull a "Texas GT" and buy an Accufab.

Hugh

Mar 27, 2006
gwbartlett said:
If the Accufab guys fixed the problem I sure would like to know how they did it!

Probably with an inexpensive capacitor fix similar to the noise suppression kit you can buy at radio Shack.

Arm

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
South Florida
TEXAS GT said:
If I did, my Accufab took care of that!

Seriously, I hardly ever turn it on. I leave my window down so I can hear that X-Pipe music. :biggrin
X-Pipe definitely sounds like the best solution. :cheers

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
poor recption with the mac in am only

My 06 with mac works great except the only 2 traffic news stations in our area 980 and 1070 don't come in in valencia,ca. on this car. the porsche the jag and the yuccon all get these stations. and Kendall gets them with hos non mac factory unit. I have traced all of the antana wires and even tried a different antana.all to no avail. even the antana booster above the head liner checked out to continuity tests. Any ideas please help.
FLY GT40 :confused :bang :bang

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006
gwbartlett- Did you ever find out what was wrong to cause the AM problem? I have the same issue.

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
The GT goes in for the 10,000 mile service next week and the noise on the am band is on the list. Actually, there is not much on the list!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
A possible fix may be underway-Noisy AM radio

All,

One of the things that my company specializes in is EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) control. Unfortunately, my Mac radio had failed (CD still worked fine) late last year and is currently in for repair. I do remember the noise on the AM band when listening to weaker stations as well. I am sure that I can come up with a fix for this.

One other note is that the AM performance is not that great. I live half way between LA and San Diego, so AM reception is just fair. Since I usually only listen to AM, I usually select an aftermarket radio based on best AM performance. I will be keeping the Mac in my GT though.

Jay
www.gtsaver.com
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
analogdesigner said:
All,

One of the things that my company specializes in is EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) control.

we know. we google... :lol