Spy Shots of New FGT Carbon Fiber Parts

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
I've been missing my GT for a little while now while some more design work is done on new carbon fiber parts at Tecnocraft. So I decided to pay them a visit last week and see what was going on. Between Steve (Owner and designer) and their main fabricator (has F1 experience), they are doing some cool stuff.

The first piece that is fully prototyped is the rear wicker. Steve has coined it the "wicked wicker" - as it's a little more voluptuous than the OEM wicker. You can see what I'm talking about in the photos below. Keep in mind, it is a prototype and was not attached to my GT when the shots were taken. And these are quick shots from my iPhone.

Tecnocraft_GTWicker04sm.jpg

Tecnocraft_GTWicker06sm.jpg

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, I really like the look of that.

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser

The next part is very interesting...it's the rear diffuser. And little did I know, or take the time to understand, that our rear diffusers are actually FIVE pieces of plastic, and metal, which are riveted together.

The Tecnocraft rear diffuser will be ONE single piece of carbon fiber* (almost). You can see them finishing the mold in these shots. This will run the entire length of the OEM rear diffuser, bolt onto the exact same positions, and you will have the option of having an extended diffuser (a couple of inches I think?) or having OEM length. *The almost part, is they are manufacturing a center tunnel/separator that will attach to this main, single piece, in order to have the exact same aero dynamics as the OEM piece. And probably better because of the rigidness of the carbon fiber and far, far less bolts/rivets.

Tecnocraft_GTDiffuser01sm.jpg

Tecnocraft_GTDiffuser02sm.jpg

The other items that are in early development are...8 lb carbon fiber seats. And YES the 8lbs will include the new brackets. I sat in a prototype T4 and it is amazingly comfortable! Slightly tight for my big a$$/hips, but the back was unbelievably comfortable. This will prove to lower the seating position by about 2" I think and will prove to be great for tracking. I hope to have this in my GT for the Rally and will absolutely let you all sit in it to check it out.

Lastly, will be the item I approached Tecnocraft on from the start...the airbox we've all been waiting for!!!

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Any hints on the changes to be made for the airbox?

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Any hints on the changes to be made for the airbox?

I don't know a lot about the airbox design as of today. The pieces I can put together are:
1. Take a look at Tecnocraft's other airbox designs. Personally, I think they are truly works of art.
2. The goal is obviously better airflow/pull for the supercharger, in addition to weight savings.
3. One hang up right now is air filter placement, based on new design.
I'm as anxious as many of you are to see this piece built.

Tecnocraft

Sep 29, 2010
Pico Rivera, CA
I hope you guys can see the high quality of the mold compared to others.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Will the diffuser have the dividers like the factory units or will they be modified in some way for better evacuation?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Whats all the bracketry and linkages bolted to the bumper in the second pic? A wing?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I dig the looks of the wicker. Though one concern immediately comes to mind... the soft angle off the rear deck might reduce down force. It looks a bit taller than stock, so you could pick it back up there. Testing would be required and I would think a wind tunnel is the only surefire way to measure those differences. The bottom diffuser looks spot on, it just means if you back up in the wrong spot it will be more expensive. I alway felt like those rear diffusers should have been CF from a cosmetic standpoint tho.

disclaimer:
I do not mean to undermine your efforts. I am not an aero-expert by any measure, and it is widely understood that I talk out my ass from time to time. Cheers - Thanks for sharing

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Will the diffuser have the dividers like the factory units or will they be modified in some way for better evacuation?

The diffuser will have a single, center divide on each side. Same as OEM. Differences are:
1. Single carbon fiber piece from front to rear + two pieces added to allow for center divide for aerodynamics similar to OEM.
2. New CF part is about 2" longer (as shown)

Here are some cool things about the way Tecnocraft has designed it:
1. GT Owners who want to exact same length as OEM can order it that way. Tecnocraft will cut to OEM length prior to clear coating.
2. I'm not positive, but I imagine you could order it without the center tunnel divides. Maybe Tan can chime in on that one?

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Whats all the bracketry and linkages bolted to the bumper in the second pic? A wing?

Yes. That's a custom carbon fiber wing I had Tecnocraft design and install for me. I've been told one other GT is wearing the same rear wing in South America.

You can see a few other pics of the wing in these threads:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ns-to-Tecnocraft-Composites&highlight=joyride
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?20203-Rally-5-Photos&highlight=joyride

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Though one concern immediately comes to mind... the soft angle off the rear deck might reduce down force. It looks a bit taller than stock, so you could pick it back up there. Testing would be required and I would think a wind tunnel is the only surefire way to measure those differences.

I didn't have any part of this design, but against the GT it looks pretty cool. The front of the "wicked wicker" is as tall as the OEM, then the rear is sloped back further and taller. I'm not sure how this will affect down force either. But I do have that big ass wing back there that's adjustable. And I've yet to put the whole darn car in any wind tunnel. So if you have access to a wind tunnel for a relatively reasonable cost, I'd be interested in tuning the whole car once the rear diffuser is finished.

And FUBAR, you don't need any disclaimer for me. I love this brotherhood and moreso these darn, beautiful cars Camilo and the group at Ford designed for us. It's all good man!

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
WOW! T4 Carbon Fiber Seats for the GT

OK...just got a surprise from Tecnocraft today when they sent me pics of their new T4 seats installed in the JOYRIDE GT.

Like I said previously...they are incredibly comfortable, even for this "big guy". With only a slight "pinch" on the sides around my hips. Steve said they may consider making an XL version for the US and 'big guys' like me. I think I should just loose some more weight!!!

Anyway, after many questions to them, here are some details they've provided for me. Pretty frickin' cool!

1. Headroom Gain (This is the big one): About 2" compared to OEM!!! For all of us that have to scrunch our necks with a helmet on...those days are over. Or look at it this way...a T4 seat is a hell of a lot cheaper than a Gurney Bubble!
2. Seat Adjustments: The custom bracket allows for movement forward and back, as well as height for front and rear.*
3. Weight Savings: 19 lbs. lighter than OEM setup (per side). So 38 lbs total weight savings if you installed two.
4. I'm going to ensure the GT Race Belts work with this T4 setup.
5. I'm also told that they will finish the custom seat bracket to match the GT and add a suede insert in the seat. Love the look of all CF myself!

*When I sat in the seat, prior to install, it was awesome. The rear was lower than the front and it felt like what I imagine an F1 car might feel like.

I'll have these T4 seats on both sides at the Rally. If you want to sit in them or take a ride in one in the passengers seat...I'm all for it. If you want one prior to Rally 6, so you can have enough head room on the track...then PM Tan at Tecnocraft and they may be able to ship one in time? Oh...Tan you better chime in and let everyone know costs and if there is a discount for the Forum.

GT_T4Seat_01_sm.jpg

GT_T4Seat_02_sm.jpg

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
looking awesome guys!!! will be interested in a bunch of this for sure for one of my new projects!!! :biggrin

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Does the rear 'wing' attach to the frame behind the axel? I'm sure it does but I can't see it. It seems like you would want the down force in front of the axel so it doesn't lift any weight off the front. Again, I have no experience with this stuff... all of my questions are based on high school physics classes.

The seats are awesome.

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Does the rear 'wing' attach to the frame behind the axel?

It attaches to the GT at the rear bumper horns (between the bumper and frame). We did it this way so it could be easily removed, and we did not have to modify the car, and more importantly, the clamshell in any way. I was first considering a different approach, whereby we'd have to cut the clamshell up. I decided against that.

The extended, front splitter, as well as the much larger side skirts certainly help with downforce in the front and main area of the car. But like I said, I've never wind-tunneled the car with the new parts. The wing is adjustable. And usually we keep it at an extremely low angle, creating as little down force as possible.

Keep in mind, I never took physics classes in high school or college. I took extra design classes instead. So you're ahead of me. =)

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
I'm really exited to see all the new carbon bits - Nice work Technocraft!!

Tecnocraft

Sep 29, 2010
Pico Rivera, CA
Thank you Team Jeff.

76.jpg

Tan

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Looks great!