Spring is Here, but paint is peeling!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thank God Spring is Here!!! I was able to take out the 2005 white GT today for a ride. I have been driving my new Lamborghini, and forgot how wonderful the GT really is compared to any car! I discovered a paint-related failure on the driver side door sill under the door, on the sill. The paint has lost adhesion, is cracking and peeling. Nothing is hitting it, no heat, no stress that I can see, it looks as though it is "bubbling" and cracking. I showed it to my Ford dealer who agreed that it is definitely a warranty issue, but suggested that the typical Ford Dealer network may not be the best avenue to repair a paint-related issue. I was thinking of sending a photo to Saleen. Have any of you seen this in your cars? I will post a picture when I get a chance.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
No, Sir.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Have seen a small variety of other paint issues on GTs but not this one. No question given this car and your location that Saleen in Troy, MI is absolutely your best bet to repair/correct. They did some absolutely perfect warranty and aftermarket work for me and I couldn't be happier. Alan Eggly is Saleen's paint manager and understands how much we want these cars right.

Swazi

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Northern California
i've seen a similar paint defect on the rear decklids of a couple of GT's now.

right by the bottom of the black plastic louvers, the paint is peeling off.

one of those problems that i'm just not sure if the fix will end up looking worse than just leaving it alone.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Neilda had some blistering of his interior panels.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Have seen a small variety of other paint issues on GTs but not this one. No question given this car and your location that Saleen in Troy, MI is absolutely your best bet to repair/correct. They did some absolutely perfect warranty and aftermarket work for me and I couldn't be happier. Alan Eggly is Saleen's paint manager and understands how much we want these cars right.

I agree with your suggestion completely. I will have my management contacts at Saleen put me in touch with Alan.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I agree with your suggestion completely. I will have my management contacts at Saleen put me in touch with Alan.

Contacts not necessary: Allen Eggly: 248-743-4809

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Contacts not necessary: Allen Eggly: 248-743-4809

Thanks. I took some pictures this weekend and will forward them to Allen. :thumbsup