Spotless Water Sytem

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have used the Windows 101 resin with out issue.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I loaded this windows101.com bulk resin, bought 2/14, and used it for the first time today. The TDS meter read 220-225. I let the water run for about 10 minutes. The TDS meter dropped to 160-165 after about five minutes and stayed there. Remember, you are supposed to change resin when the TDS meter reads 20.

Fortunately, we had a nice rain shower while I was washing the car, so it got an automatic soft water rinse.

Operator error! I did not have the unit assembled correctly, which allowed the water to bypass the resin cartridges. TDS = 000.

BTW, The Windows101 resin was $115/cubic foot last February. It is now $160 on their website. CR Spotless resin is $215/cubic foot. Shipping from Windows101 in Seattle to south Florida was $58.

1 cubic foot = 3 refills of the 20 cartridges.

I figure I get about 20 rinses (rinse only, not wash and rinse) per fill. So...each rinse is ~$3.00.

P.S. The Windows101 resin is on ebay now for $125 + $57.87 shipping, PayPal only.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Operator error! I did not have the unit assembled correctly, which allowed the water to bypass the resin cartridges. TDS = 000.

BTW, The Windows101 resin was $115/cubic foot last February. It is now $160. CR Spotless resin is $215/cubic foot. Shipping from Windows101 in Seattle to south Florida was $58.

1 cubic foot = 3 refills of the 20 cartridges.

I figure I get about 20 rinses (rinse only, not wash and rinse) per fill. So...each rinse is ~$3.00.

How in the.......As I had mentioned to you, I'm going on my 3rd box of resin and have never had a problem with their stuff. I knew something had to be amiss. How do you improperly assemble that system? Did you put the cartridge in upside down?

Also, cost was 'less' last year and recently bumped to $160. However, they 'include' shipping now on orders over a certain minimum, so it comes out to about the same.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^You're not the only bonehead here. :facepalm:

BTW, I hadn't thought about it before, but find out how hard your water is by running it through the system without cartridges. Around 10 ppm starts leaving spots. Our water is 220 ppm.

Last edited:

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
That's swamp water!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
JC what distiller are you using ?

The with vs without spot free rinse step when washing my GT is very pronounced. With the spot free rinse, it really does not matter how long I take to dry the car, it does not spot. On my truck, I dont bother drying at all other than blowing the excess water off with the air hose.

I tried it first with store purchased distilled water in jugs before purchasing the distiller. Try it, it only costs a few bucks for a few gallons of distilled water to try. Then if you like the results, decide on resin based or distiller. The resin systems do have some convenience as they are 'on demand' where the distiller makes the water ahead of use, far too slow for on demand.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm guessing one of many "kitchen distillers." James, correct me. There are several in the $300 - $400 range. Look on Amazon. Reliability past a couple of years seems suspect based on reviews. If the unit lasts, it beats DI resin systems on cost. But not if it fails after warranty.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Xcentric is right, its a kitchen counter distiller, I keep it in the garage. Mine has a clear plastic receptical, not glass but otherwise very similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Water-Distiller-Countertop-Enamel-Collection/dp/B00026F9F8

Its made a couple hundred gallons so far and just keeps right on going. Not sure what there is to break, its a heated kettle and fan coil. Its quiet and shuts off automatically when done using a thermal switch just like a coffee maker. Very simple device. I wipe out the residue with a shop towel and refill. Makes a gallon at a time. There will come a time to descale but its no different than cleaning a coffee pot. Mine was under $200. Water goes in a 10 gallon electric sprayer. Usually takes a couple gallons for the gt, 4 or 5 for my truck. The distilled water is great to have on hand for coolant changes as well.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Shine soap and master blaster dryer-/ lot less hassle IMO