Speedo dying

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
My speedometer started acting up last night, slight flicker to begin with and then started to bounce. After that it would bounce wildly and then quit. Does anyone else have this problem? Is the speedo electric or mechanical?
Thanks

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I have seen mine bounce up and down one time only. Have no idea what caused it.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Like all of the gauges, the speedo is electric. All of the instruments are finnicky about voltage. If your battery is down, it could be a cause.

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
I had a similar problem, (speedo, fuel, tach), not working. I unhooked the battery for a couple minutes. Then... hooked it back up and everything worked fine. I would at least plug the supplied trickle charger in overnight if you don't want to undo the battery.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well, since no one has said this yet :wink ... also clean the battery terminals and the chassis ground. Those two have have sometimes done the trick when just a trickle charge by itself didn't.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Don’t be concerned about this instrumentation malfunction as it is a fairly common issue. It seems to be due to either a poor cable connection to the battery or because your batter is not fully charged when you start your car. If your gauges work correctly once you've run the car for a while, shut it down and re-start it, then it's the level of charge in the battery at the time you started the car. If the gauges don't operate property after shut-down and re-start then it's probably the battery connection. Do a search on the site as there have been more than one thread on this.

Cheers,

Rob

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I keep my battery on a tender. I'll double check my connections but they were checked the week before my speedo took a hop. It hopped after I had driven it and was putting it back in the garage. :eek

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mine died in a similar fashion approaching Vegas for the Rally III. Ford is replacing my speed sensor assembly. Sucked since we left the rally in the cool morning, no traffic, great visibility on straight roads and NO IDEA of our speed!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Mine died in a similar fashion approaching Vegas for the Rally III. Ford is replacing my speed sensor assembly. Sucked since we left the rally in the cool morning, no traffic, great visibility on straight roads and NO IDEA of our speed!

An' ya can't say, "Well, ya see, officer, I didn't know how fast I was going 'cause my speedo(meter!) is dead." That'd getcha an additional ticket for faulty equipment! :biggrin

That's when it's handy knowing what 35, 50, 55, 60 & 70 MPH is on the tach (in whatever the appropriate gear might be). :wink:thumbsup:cheers

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
An' ya can't say, "Well, ya see, officer, I didn't know how fast I was going 'cause my speedo(meter!) is dead." That'd getcha an additional ticket for faulty equipment! :biggrin

That's when it's handy knowing what 35, 50, 55, 60 & 70 MPH is on the tach (in whatever the appropriate gear might be). :wink:thumbsup:cheers

Oh, I'm sure if you threw the officer the keys to your GT for about 10 minutes he'd forget the whole thing !!!!!!!!! :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Oh, I'm sure if you threw the officer the keys to your GT for about 10 minutes he'd forget the whole thing !!!!!!!!! :thumbsup

I'd much prefer payin' th' ticket(s).:tap: