Speedhut boost gauge calibration for MAFia

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I have a set of Speedhut gauges on order, and thought it would be a good chance to recalibrate the factory boost gauge to work with the MAFia. My car is tuned for setting 2, which according to Torrie, will apply a factor of 0.76 to the factory readings. The plan is to replace each of the factory boost readouts of 5, 10, 15 with 8.8, 17.6, 26.4, and 10, 20, 30 with 17.6, 35.2, 52.8 for vacuum. Do these seem like accurate figures for those with a MAFia on the same setting?

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I suppose you could do this - and depend upon internal ECU speed and calculations to display a value which may or may not be right. Alternatively, you can ask Speedhut to use a "real" boost gauge in place of the OEM one on the BUS. The downside of this later solutions is that you would have to run some wires into the cockpit but that's easier than it sounds.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
That would be best, but probably much more important for a turbo car than a Whipple. Hopefully this scale adjustment will bring the boost gauge back to the factory level of accuracy.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Gauges are in. The boost side seems accurate, but the vacuum side will need to have the scale adjusted. I ordered a red tach which I think matches the start engine button and red calipers well.

A463A05A-D3FD-47EE-9AFB-6D230F2576D8-1296-0000011F779B9E5C_zps56699bb7.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I like the Red tach. :thumbsup

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Where did you get the CF backing?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Great idea: Different color for the tach. Unique.

Howard

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I no longer dread the day when (if) my gauges fail, because the speedhut solution is so cool.

Does the "check gauges" light come on when fuel is low?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
So many here have had special touches done to theirs, I can't keep track of them all. I suggest a "Tire Thread" like thread be started to catalog all the different options. Let's see;

Red Tach....check
Indexed Voltmeter....Check
Staged shift lights in tach....Check
Calibrated boost guage......Check
White lettering.....Check
Blueish back lighting.....check
Dimmer sensitive.....check

What else?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I have been thinking the 'red' areas of the gauges need to be adjusted to actual warning levels. IE on the volt meter I would want below 10.5 and above 14.5 to be red. On oil pressue, the red should be at 8psi (thats where the warning idiot lamp is on all other fords)

On the ligher side, speaking of boost gauge. Should the last number on the high side just read 'OMG' ;-)

I like the red tach, just not sure it would look right in my car. Have also thought about midnight blue backgrounds with silver stripes on the tach. So many ideas. I 'almost' look forward to my first gauge failure. Kinda hope it holds off for a while just because all the good ideas that are flowing on these Speedhut units.

Last edited:

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Does anybody have a sense of the ultimate failure rate of the gauges? I know it would depend on mileage also, but has anyone tried to capture a statistic?

I just played on the SpeedHut site with the gauge design tool. I must say pretty cool.....almost cool enough even without a gauge failure. Has anyone used the text feature......it looked pretty cool with "FORD GT" in there.....but maybe too much on every single gauge?

And now I just saw the pic in this thread with the red tach, and it has "FORD GT" in it....duh. But, it's only in one gauge, I assumed using the design tool that text would go on every gauge.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Does anybody have a sense of the ultimate failure rate of the gauges? I know it would depend on mileage also, but has anyone tried to capture a statistic?

I just played on the SpeedHut site with the gauge design tool. I must say pretty cool.....almost cool enough even without a gauge failure. Has anyone used the text feature......it looked pretty cool with "FORD GT" in there.....but maybe too much on every single gauge?

And now I just saw the pic in this thread with the red tach, and it has "FORD GT" in it....duh. But, it's only in one gauge, I assumed using the design tool that text would go on every gauge.

Floridaho Chris has a 200 mile never registered Silver car that a gauge just died last week and I had a bad fuel gauge with less than 50 miles of new back in '05. My second fuel gauge died at 4000 miles last year so I'm thinking mileage isn't a factor.
I've been playing with the idea of going "old school" on the Speed Hut replacements package. Starting with font "GT", "Smiths" under graphics, "Stealth classic black" for bezel, "black" dial, "white" text and pointer. Looks very clean as well as original GT40.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Ahhhhh "Smiths" under graphics....very clever........you also have to state the "Night View" color.......I kind of like red for that, at least on a red car........

OK, I'm new here, but how about our 95,000+ mile member, has he had any gauge failures?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Is Smiths still around? I wonder if there might be copyright issues.......

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Ahhhhh "Smiths" under graphics....very clever........you also have to state the "Night View" color.......I kind of like red for that, at least on a red car........

OK, I'm new here, but how about our 95,000+ mile member, has he had any gauge failures?

No troubles all all...guages or anything else.

Well I did have the axle bolt problem, but that was 5-1/2 years ago.

And two flat tires and an O2 sensor replaced.

Pretty much that is it.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Do these seem like accurate figures for those with a MAFia on the same setting?

Stick a direct reading vacuum gauge into the SC manifold port with a length of hose and have a passenger read it while you drive to compare. You'll need to position it adequately of course.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Except that vacuum numbers larger than 29.92 only serve to show that the gauge maker knows nothing of physics.

29.92 inHg (760mmHg or 0 Torr) is a perfect vacuum. The total absence of matter. You can never go beyond this, or even get all that close in the manifold. Lets leave discussion of anti-matter to the Sci Fi channel....

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I suppose you could do this - and depend upon internal ECU speed and calculations to display a value which may or may not be right. Alternatively, you can ask Speedhut to use a "real" boost gauge in place of the OEM one on the BUS. The downside of this later solutions is that you would have to run some wires into the cockpit but that's easier than it sounds.

Where would you place that new sending unit?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Where would you place that new sending unit?

There's a good vacuum source on the front passenger side of the engine (near the back window glass).

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
In the intake manifold itself? Something like a 5/8" Pipe thread?

I suppose Speedhut might know, but it would be good to be informed first. thank you