Speed Hut Gauge Sset Replacement Pending - Need a Little Help From A GT Owner

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I would nice to get a lower reading with the key turned on, but engine off, headlights and a/c fan turn on to load the battery.
I spoke with Aaron Westberg at Speed Hut and he agrees with your idea. So then the three data points and related photos of greatest significance are:

1) Key on, engine off, everything else off.
2) Key on, headlights on (high beam), a/c fan on high and I would add rear window defogger on, Macintosh sound system on.
3) Engine running, everything else off.

Looking for a volunteer to test the voltage and photograph the voltage gauge under each of these conditions.

Thanks .....

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I'll have some time in the garage tomorrow (friday) and will take the readings/photos you ask and post them here. Will likely be me buying the Speed Hut gauges one day.
Greatly appreciated if you could provide data and photos as described in post #21.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
OK, got the readings and photos. Attempting to post...

First, Engine off, headlights on, 12.15v
IMAG0217.jpg

Next, Engine off, all accessories off but key in on position, 12.35v

IMAG0218.jpg

Last, Engine running, all accessories off, 14.14v

IMAG0219.jpg

Bottom line is that between 12 and 14.5 v the gauge does not move much. May be hard to mark real numbers. Have no idea what the upper and lower limits are but I suspect something in he 6 to 18v range.

Also interesting was the alturnators ablitity to reach full charge voltage at idle. 14.38 at idle and 14.40 above idle and capped there not rising for higher RPMs.

Hope this helps.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What a worthless range of movement!

I don't feel bad in dumping the voltmeter for a a/f guage.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
What a worthless range of movement!
Agreed, but the hope is to improve the gauge reading through this combined GT Forum effort.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA

View attachment 25247

View attachment 25248

View attachment 25253

Bottom line is that between 12 and 14.5 v the gauge does not move much. May be hard to mark real numbers. Have no idea what the upper and lower limits are but I suspect something in he 6 to 18v range.

Also interesting was the alturnators ablitity to reach full charge voltage at idle. 14.38 at idle and 14.40 above idle and capped there not rising for higher RPMs.

Hope this helps.
JC - You are the man. That's great data and photos. Thanks so much for your timely response. Speedhut will likewise be pleased.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Great thread.

Thank you for working this issue out for us. :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
My suggesting for Speedhut would be to forego the PWM input to the gauge and just use the 12v input to the gauge to move the needle and make a face with a dial range from 10 to 16v.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA

View attachment 25247

View attachment 25248

View attachment 25253

Hope this helps.
JC - Speed Hut has been most helpful and accomodating in supporting development of a voltage gauge that provides more relevant information. Aaron Wstberg of Speed Hut needs one final data point and photo to complete this portion of the project. Specifically the voltage reading and a photo of the voltage gauge under maximum load conditions. Ignition on, engine off, headlamps on high beam, hazard flashers on, a/c fan on high, rear window defogger on, sound system on, shifter in reverse and anything else that comes to mind. I may be able to impose on a friend later this week but if you have a bit of spare time over the next day or so your assistance would be most greatly appreciated. Since you and I established the initial data points, this final set will only be relevant if it comes from you or I.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
IMAG0231.jpg

Good timing. Had a few minutes after getting home from work today so hear is one more pic. 11.95v headlights, fog lights, hazards, reverse, defrost, radio on and AC fan on high. Needle don't move much although the interior lamp did dim just a hair.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
View attachment 25266

Good timing. Had a few minutes after getting home from work today so hear is one more pic. 11.95v headlights, fog lights, hazards, reverse, defrost, radio on and AC fan on high. Needle don't move much although the interior lamp did dim just a hair.
JC - Thank you for your extraordinary effort in support of this work. It's greatly appreciated. I forwarded your results to Speed Hut and will post the final rsult here ASAP. This will reflect a new numerically indexed voltage gauge design.

Of course I'd be remiss if I failed to acknowledge the incredible amount of effort and dedication putforth by mardyn without which none of this fine tuning would be possible. A fine result made ever so slightly better through collaboration on this forum by its members. Thanks ..... VJ

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Wait, you forgot the one while dragging one foot..

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
New Voltage Gauge Design

Attached are photos of the current Speed Hut voltage gauge and a drawing of the new "numeically indexed" design (I chose the Euro font). I expect to have the complete set of gauges within the next few weeks and will post actual photos at that time. Speed Hut is an awesome company to work with; Aaron and Jessica could not have been more helpful and supportive.

Original Speed Hut Voltage Gauge.jpgNew Design Speed Hut Voltage Gauge.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Attached are photos of the current Speed Hut voltage gauge and a drawing of the new "numeically indexed" design (I chose the Euro font). I expect to have the complete set of gauges within the next few weeks and will post actual photos at that time. Speed Hut is an awesome company to work with; Aaron and Jessica could not have been more helpful and supportive.

View attachment 25321View attachment 25322

My suggesting for Speedhut would be to forego the PWM input to the gauge and just use the 12v input to the gauge to move the needle and make a face with a dial range from 10 to 16v.

Looks great. I wonder if Speedhut is doing what I suggested. I don't think anyone could guess where the OEM signal was going to place the needed from the photos. Too little movement.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Looks great. I wonder if Speedhut is doing what I suggested. I don't think anyone could guess where the OEM signal was going to place the needed from the photos. Too little movement.
Yes absolutely, otherwise the needle deflection would be out of sync with numeric indices shown on the new voltage gauge. I will verify that once I receive and test the new gauge.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Looks good. I would say that the red warning zones on the gauge should be wider based on those voltage figures.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Looks good. I would say that the red warning zones on the gauge should be wider based on those voltage figures.
That would be technically correct , although somewhat of an assault on the eyes.

Last edited: