Spec clutch in

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
The clutch is the Spec ST here are a few things about this clutch I have noticed.

1. The clutch pedal is the same as stock with little to no feel difference it still has a soft pedal.
2. You will feel chatter at low rpm if you do not rev higher. Doing this Eliminates all chatter.
3. You can move car without fully engaged clutch.
4. Quality seems very good.
5 install was easy

I have only put about 150 miles on and you can use this in stop and go traffic but you must give it a crisp start with rpm to not have any chatter I am way more pleased than I thought I would be. When can in romp on it now lol

here are a few pics image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 277
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Well Done - how many hours to complete the job ?

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
How much does the new clutch weigh vice the old clutch???

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I too had the Spec clutch installed. I feel no difference in the pedal from stock. Work was done by ADS in Chandler AZ

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The Spec clutch is 8.6 lbs lighter than the stock GT500 clutch, which is similar to the GT clutch (44.8 vs 36.2 lbs). You're getting that slight chatter because the Spec clutch doesn't slip very much, but they can withstand much abuse. I love mine.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The Spec clutch is 8.6 lbs lighter than the stock GT500 clutch, which is similar to the GT clutch (44.8 vs 36.2 lbs). You're getting that slight chatter because the Spec clutch doesn't slip very much, but they can withstand much abuse. I love mine.

The slight chatter is why I would probably stick to the stock clutch, since I drive like a little old lady. My OEM clutch has never slipped even with a Whipple at 750HP+. I don't often give full throttle until the clutch is fully engaged. If I did it wouldn't last too long.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Keep in mind, SMOKDU installed the ST Spec (list price $4,000, 1260 tq capacity). After pondering the advice of the experts on the forum, it seems to me that the SS Spec ($3000 list price, 1010 tq capacity) might be a good compromise for many. That is the one I am going to request the GT Guys install when they do my Whipple later this summer.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
The Spec SS is great. Installed by Kendall (note4re)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I too had the Spec clutch installed. I feel no difference in the pedal from stock. Work was done by ADS in Chandler AZ

My Master tech did it. it took him about 6 hrs . Our shop is a spec dealer as well. Spec says 500 city miles for break in. that's hard in a GT . What's the normal or is 500 a must?

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Keep in mind, SMOKDU installed the ST Spec (list price $4,000, 1260 tq capacity). After pondering the advice of the experts on the forum, it seems to me that the SS Spec ($3000 list price, 1010 tq capacity) might be a good compromise for many. That is the one I am going to request the GT Guys install when they do my Whipple later this summer.

I also talked with owners that have the ST installed and because I run Drs some times I wanted to make sure I was good. Those tires hook hard. If you want a price installed PM me and I will get you a quote. Plus if you want you can drive my whipple GT with the spec before you do the swap.

Mark
SMOKDU

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
The slight chatter is why I would probably stick to the stock clutch, since I drive like a little old lady. My OEM clutch has never slipped even with a Whipple at 750HP+. I don't often give full throttle until the clutch is fully engaged. If I did it wouldn't last too long.

With stock tires and a whipple you will spin the tires before the clutch, but with sticky tires on a hot or prepped road you take the chance of hurting the stock or lower tongue clutch. Most GT owners would be fine with a stock clutch because of this. The owners looking for traction and power will some day hurt the stock clutch. Most the time I do not run sticky tires because traction breaks parts .

I have learned racing over the years that overkill is better for Me. Lol

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
With stock tires and a whipple you will spin the tires before the clutch, but with sticky tires on a hot or prepped road you take the chance of hurting the stock or lower tongue clutch. Most GT owners would be fine with a stock clutch because of this. The owners looking for traction and power will some day hurt the stock clutch. Most the time I do not run sticky tires because traction breaks parts .

I have learned racing over the years that overkill is better for Me. Lol

Have Hoosiers on the car now, the tires don't spin much because of TC. :biggrin

I know if I try too many drag type starts, revving the engine and slipping the clutch, it would be fried in a few attempts and a spec would be a much better choice. Nice to know that the clutch pedal isn't much harder to push than stock, but have to believe that the engagement is more of an on off switch than OEM. I drove a Carrera GT and that clutch takes getting used to.

Yes, mucho torque plus traction = broken parts.

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I also talked with owners that have the ST installed and because I run Drs some times I wanted to make sure I was good. Those tires hook hard. If you want a price installed PM me and I will get you a quote. Plus if you want you can drive my whipple GT with the spec before you do the swap.

Mark
SMOKDU

Thanks for the offer, but I think the SS will be fine for me. I will just be running the Bridgestones. Sounds like you made the right choice for your application, though.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Have Hoosiers on the car now, the tires don't spin much because of TC. :biggrin

Micky Thomson DR ET 2 are a different animal and just flat out hook. You would have to drive it to believe it. No need for any traction control even with my power. I am scared to use them lol. I have vboxed 0 to 60 times at 2.7 seconds on a non prepped street .

Either way sounds like you would not like this St and should go SS to me or stock. Dan has a guy who can rebuild stock clutches also. The only thing I was worried about was the feel of the pedal and did not want to hard of a throw. But it feels like stock and that is why I am so happy.

PJA

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2011
Hi guys, hate to jump into some ones thread, but I have a 40K mile GT that I bought with no history on clutch. I am installing a bumper delete and am thinking of changing clutch assembly, flywheel, and pilot bearing. Car is stock, just pulley, tune, and accu-fab X pipe. I will not track or drag it, I do like to put my foot into it a little. I am thinking of using a Spec SS, any recommendations on clutch choice, flywheel (alum/steel), where to purchase ( I will do install myself), and where to purchase a clutch alignment tool.
Any help would be great, thanks!

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Pm me I am a ford dealer and a Spec dealer and can get you either a stock or Spec. pm me for Prices if you want. I can drop ship it to you and give you advice on what you will need.

Mark
Smokdu

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Pja...

Save your money...your clutch may last 5 more years. For all you know, it was replaced 3000 miles ago.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My original OEM clutch has 78,000 miles on it and still feels like new, but obviously it's not. Track days don't seem to have bothered it...

Just sayin'.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
My original stock has 52k on it, of which maybe 40k with a whipple!